Menu

Favorite picture books

strange_girl

Hello! My name is Sara and I'm new to the WTM. I have a rising second grader and a K'er this year, as well as a toddler.

I was reading through the 'books you've hated' thread and began to think that my read-aloud schedule might just need some sprucing up. Like some of you, we've gotten into a rut with some favorites.

What are your favorite picture books (or early chapter books) to read aloud for a young K boy?

Some of our favorites have been:

The Seven Silly Eaters

The Circus Ship (he should be well primed for poetry with all this rhyming, anyway)

Go Away, Dog (leveled reader)

Blueberries for Sal

Make Way for Ducklings

Anything Backyardigans...which, frankly, makes me shudder.

Waaaay too many picture books to list  actually.

The chapter books that we've read this past year for K:

The Magic Tree House books. They were really good at getting my ds interested in listening to a read aloud. 

He also loved the Ramona Quimby and the Henry Huggins books.

The EB White books were a hit, Charlotte's Web and Trumpet of the Swan. 

Roald Dahl books are always fun, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach.

Wind in the Willows and Peter Pan were well loved.

Mrs Piggle Wiggle books are so fun to read aloud!!!

My ds also liked having stories from a fairy tale or Aesop collection read aloud, especially for bedtime. 

A Beatrix Potter collection.

Just So Stories. We have The Elephant's Child as a picture book. We love it!

As far as picture books I'll list a few that are fun.

The Stinky Cheese Man

Fables 

Diary of a Worm, Diary of a Spider, Diary of a Fly

Animalia

The Ant and the Elephant (anything by Bill Peet!!!)

books by Leo Lionni

Strega Nona

Harvey the Foolish Pig (my ds loves this book)

A Treeful of Pigs  is also good

Stone Soup

Virginia Burton books

SkippyJon Jones

Lon Po Po

Jan Brett books (we never tire of her books)

We've liked most of the books we've gotten from Sonlight's P3/4 and P4/5.  For the Robert McCloskey books we've been getting the individual books from the library.  We love the HarperCollins collection, and the binding is falling apart. 

Two recent favorites are "Memoirs of a 4-year old" by Jamie Lee Curtis.  I never would have bought it, but I bought a milk crate of books at a garage sale and it was included.  Left page will have "When I was a baby ...", and the right page will have "Now I..."   DD requests the book frequently.  I think she likes feeling grown up. 

"Dangerously Ever After" is a beautiful picture book about a modern-ish princess who loves dangerous things.  The writing and illustrations are interesting and pretty.  For example, a neighboring prince rides over on his bicycle "in search of a dragon to slay, a knight to challenge, or at least someone his own age to talk to".  We have this book from the library, but I think I'm going to have to buy it. 

This is a good companion thread to "read-alouds you hated".  I wonder how many will appear in both?

A few favorite off the top of my mind ...

Zen Shorts by Jon Muth

Kel Gilligan's Daredevil Stunt Show by Michael Buckley

Boy and Bot by Ame Dychman

The Monsters' Monster by Patrick McDonnell

Green by Laura Seeger

Paddle to the Sea by Holling C. Holling (longerish book)

Anything by James Herriot (I love this man!  If I was single and he hadn't been dead for thirty years ...)

Ladybug Girl by Jacky Davis

Anything by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnell

The Retired Kid by Jon Agee

Laundry Day by Maurie Manning

Cinder Edna by Ellen Jackson

some of my boys' favorites that haven't been listed include:

The Little Blue Truck

Zoom

Are you my mother?

Go Dogs Go

Over in the Meadow

If you give a mouse a cookie and others like it

Everywhere Babies (same illustrator as the Seven Silly Eaters which we also like)

Frances books

A Tree Is Nice

and many, many more :)

Books that were loved last year and so far this year:

The Big Green Pocketbook

The Paperboy (WARNING with this one, I caught them up at 2:30am after reading this trying to sneak out to deliver a stack of old newspapers)

Froggy Gets Dressed and the rest of the series

Chewy Louie

The original collection of Rev. Awdry's Thomas the Tank Engine stories (out of print, but our library has it)

Recently, we've been reading over and over Jon Sciezska's Truckery Rhymes from his Trucktown series. My kids have never liked nursery rhymes or kid songs. DS5 even hates the alphabet song. But they've really loved this book and walk around the house singing these "versions" of nursery rhymes. Even I like them better than the originals.

Welcome OP.  I have a 2nd grader and twin K'ers along with twin 3 year olds and a 9 month old. 

I'm usually not very good at coming up with these on the fly....Plus, my kids love non-fiction.

We love the author Carma Wilson.  She has many of our family's favorites....Mr. Murry and Thumpkin, The Frog in the Bog, Hogwash and many, many others.

Others:

Be Nice to Spiders

King Bidgood's in the Bathtub

The Very busy Spider

The Happy Lion

Little Bear

Caps for Sale

Too Many Pumkins....I love to read anything about pumpkins.  I have no idea why and my children think it is very funny.  LOL!

For my kids, they haven't enjoyed a lot of chapter books yet. It took my oldest till he was 7 to really get into them and the 5 year olds aren't that into them yet...some, but not as much as my older.  My older son, almost 8, does enjoy them now.  We've read Charlie and Chocolate Factory, Little House in the Big Woods, The Jungle Book....I can't remember any others even though there have been some.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our family favorites include A Chair for my Mother,

Frog and Toad,

Somebody Loves You Mr. Hatch

McDuff

Ladybug girl

Owl babies

Blue Moose

anything by Jane Hissey

anything by Virginia Lee Burton

Usborne beginners nonfiction books

Some that my kids LOVE that have gotten old for me

Angelina Ballerina

Breyer horse books

Curious George

Clifford

The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Grey Bridge

This last one is a great book, but just after my son's 2nd birthday, he became obsessed with it and wanted it read 5 times a day. He still loves it, and loves lighthouses. I can read it with my eyes closed.

For picture books my 5 year old LOVES anything by Mo Willems.  He is also into Pete the Cat and the Fly Guy books by Tedd Arnold.  He has enjoyed books by Virginia Lee Burton as well.

For read alouds: anything by E.B. White and also the Mouse & the Motorcycle books by Beverly Cleary.  He told me his favorite books have mice as the main character. Currently we are reading The Little House series.  I have to say I'm a bit surprised by how much he enjoys them, but we are on the 3rd one now.