Menu

Foodie & cooking people...

Julie in CA

If someone told you that for a catered luncheon after an 11 a.m. memorial service that they weren't interested in sandwiches and salads, and that they wanted a meal that was both easy to eat and substantial, but not as heavy as prime rib, what would you think they were asking for?

ETA: Budget is not a big concern for them.

I am not doing the beverage service or dessert.

I have lots of nice meals that I could offer, I'm just having difficulty knowing what might appeal to them, and since its during a time of bereavement, I don't want to annoy them by offering lots of things before I figure out what they might have in mind. This part is usually not difficult!

If the deceased had a favorite dish, that's nice. We did this with my grandmother's funeral--fried chicken and cole slaw from her favorite restaurant, jello, and Polish cookies.

If you prefer not to go that direction, I would go with something like Chicken Marsala or some form of chicken with a light glaze. Lemon chicken? Rice or new potatoes, green beans, and a side salad.

I was recently at a banquet where the dinner was pecan-crusted chicken, scallop potatoes and green beans (not plain but I can't remember how they were seasoned). It was filling enough but not so heavy like rib would be. It also felt a little special without being "fussy" if that makes sense.

Maybe something along that line?

ETA: the chicken had some kind of sauce but I can't remember, mustard-y I think.

Thanks all!

I had thought of a few ideas, and I'll try to run them by the hostess. I'd thought maybe chicken marsala, or perhaps chicken with a light mushroom/cream sauce, because then the chicken should be fall-apart tender and without bones. Maybe some braised beef with sauteed onions and a touch of gravy (these are farmers, so likely beef eaters). Maybe a wild rice blend or garlic mashed potatoes if they're true traditionalists. Roasted seasonal vegetables or sauteed green beans with toasted chopped pecans. Green salad if they'd like it, and some type of bread/rolls and butter.

Alternatively, perhaps a traditional ham/turkey meal with roasted, sliced turkey and ham, scalloped potatoes, green beans, sauteed apples, green salad and/or rolls if they want them.

I have a feeling that they'll shy away from anything that seems like "ethnic cuisine", but homemade lasagna, green salad, and homemade garlic parmesan soft bread sticks is always well received, and is easy to eat.

Thanks for the additional ideas! I will write them down. It doesn't sound like I'm too far off in my impression of what they might want though, since it seems like many of us are thinking along the same lines.

I have other ideas, but this seems the most likely to please them.