Menu

I'm decluttering/purging--wanna join the fun?

PrairieSong

I'm getting ready to do a purge as well, gotta make room for baby :) . I have done the living room for the most part, have to go through my crafting stuff yet and find something else to do with that, then it's on to dd's room and the kitchen. Dd's room first because I think that will take the longest.

Congratulations on the baby!  Nesting time is a great time to declutter.  I never wanted to do it during the first weeks after baby's birth.  When are you due?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I finally finished my office/school supplies shelves. It took me two days instead of one afternoon. ;) Since my dining table was still covered yesterday night, we had to go out to eat for dinner, lol. But, it's all cleared off now and the table cloth is in the washer and will be back on in time for supper!

I actually had ten linear feet of shelving consumed by school supplies. You read that right, 10 feet! 6 24inch shelves full of empty supplies! Notebooks of every variety (cursing the 17c spiral notebooks from last year), papers, postits, pencils, etc. 

I got it down to 8 feet, lol. It may not sound like a big accomplishment, but it was. :)

Tragically, I couldn't let go of the 500 or so pages of really fancy graphing papers . . . circa 1970s . . . from my dad who has been dead over a decade . . . or the unopened, still in plastic, box of resume paper with an OSU bookstore sticker on it (where dh went to grad school before we met . . . so over 20 years old) . . . But, I did manage to let go of an entire black trash bag of junk, and I reorganized everything so each item has a home and it is all tidy with spare room for additional items to be shelved without creating complete chaos.

I even went through the shelf of computer software and cables, even though it wasn't officially part of my project. Got rid of a good number of disks, manuals, etc from items that we no longer own.

All the items are reshelved, and I now have another empty shelf in my bookshelf wall! There are currently TWO 24 inch empty shelves down there, which makes me ecstatic. (There are 30 24 inch shelves altogether in the school room, so this isn't exactly tremendous progress, but the rest of the shelves have already been substantially decluttered, so they each generally have a few inches or more of free space on them, too, so, all in all, it is a huge improvement from the cram-packed wall of shelves that I had a month ago!)

OK, I'm heading back in to reorganize the science text shelves. I love science, and my one science shelf has grown to four, with no order among them. That must change!

Happy decluttering!

If UPS would ever get here with my bins, I could organize the camping stuff. :lol:

I am getting some food prepped today for a family gathering this weekend though. I love feeling productive, even if the purge is on hold some days.

For many years, I kept saying that additional shelves and additional bins were the key to me having an organized and tidy home.

After a decade or two of acquiring shelves and rubbermaid, I have finally put my foot down. (I probably own 10 sets of Gorrila Racks, 100 or more linear feet of bookshelves, and at least 100 rubbermaid containers of sizes from shoebox to footlocker, so I've got enough for any sane person!)

So, I now force myself to (for the most part) empty out bins of crap-we-never-use-and-forgot-we-owned in order to use THOSE bins/shelves to organize whatever current crap-I-can't-part-with-despite-knowing-I'll-probably-never-use-it. When I want to organize, I have to start with trashbags and giveaway boxes . . . thus freeing up rubbermaid and shelves. :) 

LOL.

Enjoy your new bins!! (Isn't it fun to transform a pile of crap to a neat stack of matching bins!! Even better if you label them with a nifty label maker or stick on letters!)

Well, I finally finished my office/school supplies shelves. It took me two days instead of one afternoon. ;) Since my dining table was still covered yesterday night, we had to go out to eat for dinner, lol. But, it's all cleared off now and the table cloth is in the washer and will be back on in time for supper!

I actually had ten linear feet of shelving consumed by school supplies. You read that right, 10 feet! 6 24inch shelves full of empty supplies! Notebooks of every variety (cursing the 17c spiral notebooks from last year), papers, postits, pencils, etc. 

I got it down to 8 feet, lol. It may not sound like a big accomplishment, but it was. :)

Tragically, I couldn't let go of the 500 or so pages of really fancy graphing papers . . . circa 1970s . . . from my dad who has been dead over a decade . . . or the unopened, still in plastic, box of resume paper with an OSU bookstore sticker on it (where dh went to grad school before we met . . . so over 20 years old) . . . But, I did manage to let go of an entire black trash bag of junk, and I reorganized everything so each item has a home and it is all tidy with spare room for additional items to be shelved without creating complete chaos.

I even went through the shelf of computer software and cables, even though it wasn't officially part of my project. Got rid of a good number of disks, manuals, etc from items that we no longer own.

All the items are reshelved, and I now have another empty shelf in my bookshelf wall! There are currently TWO 24 inch empty shelves down there, which makes me ecstatic. (There are 30 24 inch shelves altogether in the school room, so this isn't exactly tremendous progress, but the rest of the shelves have already been substantially decluttered, so they each generally have a few inches or more of free space on them, too, so, all in all, it is a huge improvement from the cram-packed wall of shelves that I had a month ago!)

OK, I'm heading back in to reorganize the science text shelves. I love science, and my one science shelf has grown to four, with no order among them. That must change!

Happy decluttering!

Woot!  Go Stephanie!  So, you kept a few things but look at all that you accomplished.  I always have some things I can't let go (and probably should) but I try to focus on my progress.  

Way to go on all that you got done!

For many years, I kept saying that additional shelves and additional bins were the key to me having an organized and tidy home.

After a decade or two of acquiring shelves and rubbermaid, I have finally put my foot down. (I probably own 10 sets of Gorrila Racks, 100 or more linear feet of bookshelves, and at least 100 rubbermaid containers of sizes from shoebox to footlocker, so I've got enough for any sane person!)

So, I now force myself to (for the most part) empty out bins of crap-we-never-use-and-forgot-we-owned in order to use THOSE bins/shelves to organize whatever current crap-I-can't-part-with-despite-knowing-I'll-probably-never-use-it. When I want to organize, I have to start with trashbags and giveaway boxes . . . thus freeing up rubbermaid and shelves. :)

LOL.

Enjoy your new bins!! (Isn't it fun to transform a pile of crap to a neat stack of matching bins!! Even better if you label them with a nifty label maker or stick on letters!)

The bolded is definitely me!!!  I have quite the collection of rubbermaid.  Fortunately, some of them are now empty and will have to go to a new home.

Congratulations on the baby! Nesting time is a great time to declutter. I never wanted to do it during the first weeks after baby's birth. When are you due?

Due feb. 2 but dd has lots of stuff and we haven't gotten her school stuff yet and we still have her birthday and Christmas. I'm thinking of telling everyone no toys, only books or college fund money. :)

I hear you on the bins, and I agree, for the most part :) We just switched back to tent camping from a trailer where everything was all set to go. So now, I found a trunk organizing bin for silverware, tools, everything, and I found some bins that fit perfectly in there so things like medicine and first aid can be compartmentalized instead of the method I used on the previous trip...throw it all in the large blue bin! :lol:

I am much better at having a specific purpose for things I buy these days.

I did the science book shelves today! I love science, and it is hard to let go, but I have cleared out an entire file box full (overflowing) of great science books for the K-5 crowd. We're beyond them, and it is time to let them go! 

I also found a few on other shelves. :)

I've started listing them for sale, and will sell what I can in the next few weeks, then donate the rest. 

My science shelves are now organized all in one area, sorted by subject, and I've purged the no-longer-useful-to-us items!

I love love, love seeing all the openness on my book shelves! There is room on every shelf to add the items I'll find in other nooks and crannies. And, I still have two entirely empty shelves! It is so much easier to sort and organize when I have a couple empty shelves to sort on to!

Woohoo!!

What's next everyone?

Well, today I *finally* finished Round 1 of Purge-fest 2013. This week we've tackled the toy room/maker's room, boys' bedroom, craft closet, storage space, living room, sitting room and dining room. Now for the scary part: garage. The weather should be cooling down this weekend, so I'll hit it then. 

And sadly, I've realized that this purge needs to have layers... things look so much better, but we really do have WAAAYYY too much stuff. I think after the garage gets tackled, everything needs another go-through.

I do have a question. I've never sold books/curriculum before. Where can I get decent prices for them? It's mostly American history resources. Everything is in pristine condition, really. 

Thanks for all of the encouragement! This has been a hugely productive week!

I think the best place online to sell HS curricula is here, especially if it is popular on these boards.  Popular education books/readers can also sell here sometimes. No ebay fees, which is nice. For books that don't sell here, I have had some luck with ebay, but I only bother selling things that are pretty big -- like a big lot of books or whatever. High school and college texts sell really well on ebay. Sometimes you get a great price, or sometimes you sell it for a song, but so long as your minimum price covers your costs (don't forget at least 10-12% ebay fees, plus 4-5% PayPal, so that's close to 20% of your selling price, including shipping), then at least you get rid of it. :) Sometimes I've been pleasantly surprised at what a good price I get on ebay for texts. I suggest listing a few things here that you think will sell well. Then see how that goes. Then list a thing or two on ebay. I try not to list more than 5 or so items on each site at a time, just to make sure I don't get confused and screw things up. Once things sell, I go through the box and list a few more. I list the things I think will sell fastest and for the most $$ first, so if I get worn out and don't get through the whole box, I've at least got the easiest $$ out of it.

I agree about purging in layers. I like to start with trash bags. :) Then outgrown stuff into give away (or sell) boxes. Once that easy "low hanging fruit" goes first, then that makes it easier to SEE the rest, have room to move, and the extra motivation that comes from seeing the progress . . . THEN, as the energy and time allows, I can go through the deeper layers. 

"Progress, not perfection." -- I love that!!

I lost my steam earlier this week, and then yesterday was a groceries/errands/running around day.  Today and tomorrow, however, I will be mostly alone.  Dh and youngest son are going camping; two dds are out of town until Sunday.  20yo son will be here but he has long work hours today and tomorrow.

That means no meals to prepare, not many dishes, etc.  I can just grab something to eat and quickly get back to work.  So...for the next 48 hours I am having a Purge Fest!!!  I won't be on here much, but will check back in later to report on my progress.

Happy decluttering, everyone!

A month ago I bought a blue trash can with the recycling symbol to have a permanent place to corral give away items. I keep a roll of trash bags, a ball of yarn, and child scissors in the trash can underneath the current bag so I can immediately process the give away (tying a bit of yarn to the bag to identify it as give away and not trash...replacing it with a new trash bag). My dh is faithful about grabbing bags on his way into town for the Goodwill. We have removed more items from our home this month than we have in last three years (one time it was a full trailer load). In the recent past I used to throw unwanted items or bags of hand me downs my friends gave me in the garage to deal with later...now everything is dealt with immediately using this blue recycling trash can.

Five years ago or so, I was trying to talk dh into another baby while also couponing, so I acquired a baby's worth of premium Huggies diapers. Since then, I managed to give the tiniest and largest sizes to people I knew as well as some of the middle sizes, but I still had eight huge packages of 2s and 3s. (I started with probably 50 packages of diapers!) The last packages are now safely in the back of my station wagon! En route to the homeless shelter this afternoon!

I also had another gold find. Small suitcases! You know the sets of suitcases that have a couple great suitcases (which get trashed in a few years, thus leading you to buy another set) and then one or two really strange and small suitcases? Well, I had a lifetime's accumulation of those brand new tiny suitcases from both my family and my mom, who constantly gives me weird things that I have learned not to argue about but just to accept. Then there were the young child suitcases emblazoned with baseballs and motorcycles. About a dozen of said weird suitcases are now in my car, too! We had at least twenty additional suitcases and duffel bags of varying descriptions, so I didn't dig very deep, but I took the low hanging fruit anyway. Between the diapers and the suitcases, I freed an entire larger than gorilla-rack shelf in the basement.

So, this afternoon, I will donate all these things! Yay!

Also, we just bought ds a laptop, but the only cases we had are girly, so he was talking about buying a case. I found a great simple black laptop bag in the suitcase bin that I had forgotten about!

Check your suitcase stash. I can't be the only one with an abundance of tiny useless suitcases!

LOL.

"A storage bin is just a garbage can that never gets emptied."

I read that quote on an organizing blog one day, and it was a real lightbulb moment for me. Obviously I'll always have some bins... Christmas decorations have to go somewhere!... but every one I can empty feels like such a victory. Last week I put 5 empty bins on the curb with a "Free" sign. Woo-hoo!

I have about 5 storage rubbermaids, mostly for holiday decorations and yarn (yes,I have too much yarn). I need to go through them.

Tomorrow is ds' huge minecraft themed birthday party so we have been planning and crafting like mad for that....I am exhausted. No purging for me, but Sunday!! Sunday it will restart.

I finished thinning the books on my school bookshelves and organized the remaining books so that I can (hopefully) find things when I need them. I set aside a lot of books to sell and I also started a pile of books to take to our church for the book recycling day that we are having in August. It's more or less a book trading thing we do once a year. I'm going to go through our upstairs bookshelves for that purpose as well. I still have to get the books ready to sell. 

I finished updating our medical paperwork/claims today and filed away related papers from 2010-2012 - thats a big stack off of my desk now. 

I'm thinking about starting flylady soon - I need a method for my madness. 

Still going here!  The kids cleared out a few more toys, and I found some books that we no longer need.  I've cleared out the medicine cabinet as well.  We are also trying to eat from the pantry because I actually need to declutter our food a bit! LOL  DD & I have had a cold, so I'm moving much slower this week, but still trying to keep going.  I almost feel like this is never ending, though!

I have about 5 storage rubbermaids, mostly for holiday decorations and yarn (yes,I have too much yarn). I need to go through them.

Tomorrow is ds' huge minecraft themed birthday party so we have been planning and crafting like mad for that....I am exhausted. No purging for me, but Sunday!! Sunday it will restart.

I hope your son has a wonderful birthday!  The party sounds like so much fun.

Still going here!  The kids cleared out a few more toys, and I found some books that we no longer need.  I've cleared out the medicine cabinet as well.  We are also trying to eat from the pantry because I actually need to declutter our food a bit! LOL  DD & I have had a cold, so I'm moving much slower this week, but still trying to keep going.  I almost feel like this is never ending, though!

It IS neverending, but don't let that discourage you!  We live in our homes.  They are havens where we nurture and feed and educate our families, where we spend time with each other, where we eat meals and work on projects and on and on.  It's messy though.   :001_smile:

The thing is, if we make decluttering an ongoing thing, it won't get to the point where it totally overwhelms us.  And believe me, I'm preaching to myself here because I've been at the "totally overwhelmed" place!!!  I love what a previous poster said about layers of decluttering, that after you go through rooms a few times, a few layers, it gets easier and you can more readily see what needs to go.

Today I'm doing tons of laundry, working on my laundry room, and continuing in the master bedroom.

Happy Saturday, everyone!  Happy decluttering!

We deep cleaned the kids' rooms today and got rid of another garbage bag of stuff. I love the idea of Flylady's zones, but I have a hard time doing them consistently. I'm hoping to at least do deeper cleaning during the summers and try to just maintain during the schoolyear.

I love Flylady's ideas, too, and it has worked for many people.  Just not for me.  I always see a different area that needs more work.  I don't need the living room and dining room as Zones because mine don't get that cluttered.  My bedrooms, laundry room, and basement, on the other hand... :(

Is anyone still decluttering?

I will confess one of my issues. I always overestimate the amount of work I can do in a given time frame. Then I am disappointed. Why do I always do that to myself?? When my dh and son came home from camping yesterday, the house was not exactly sparkling, but I did get several loads of laundry done, the laundry room partially decluttered, two bathrooms thoroughly scrubbed, and more stuff in my master bedroom decluttered.

I am choosing to focus on the positive, on what I got done, and to keep plugging away.

I'm making slow but steady progress. 

I have been selling things on eBay successfully, which is very motivating! I'm being paid to declutter!!! :)

I need to do a lot of schooling this week (AP Summer Assignments, lol, because we're taking 5 weeks off in Sept-Oct, so we've got to get some progress made in our APs), so I will probably make less progress this week, but I have two boxes ($50 in sales!) to take to the PO tomorrow, and lots more things listed for sale, so hopefully these items will make it out of my house this next week, then I will refocus the following week on more purging. 

I'm trying to decide what my next project should be. I need a room to tackle. Maybe more books. LOL. I have a lot of books!

Today I gutted our hall closet, put only our current school texts on the shelves, and boxed all the rest of our unused curriculum for a special shelving unit in the garage. This gives me a bit of wiggle room on our living room bookshelves. We are using this cool system called workboxes for the first time...ever heard of it? ;-) We put that together (stacking drawer units) for six children today (yes, my older children think it's all the rage with their stacking Walmart drawers and velcro numbers). Maybe we will finally do school this year or something...that's the idea anyway. :-)

I am so proud of myself for removing that clutter dragon from the hall closet today...so proud...so amazingly excited.

Have fun storming the castle!

I've been starting to purge on my days off work. I keep getting sidetracked by so many projects I want to do that have been put off, or things I need to buy to get things in better shape. I've decided, though, that I won't start work on the painting and other home-improvement projects I want to do until I finish de-cluttering. And I'm going to try to pay for those projects with the stuff I need to sell.

On a similar note, my DH and I made a pact that we have to "earn" dollars to eat out by miles we walk/jog. Hit both the exercising and budgeting we need to do at once! Now if we can only stick with it...

This weekend has been spent cleaning/purging the garage. And not even the entire garage, half of it. My DH's "workshop" takes up half the garage, and that's just a downright scary space. The half of the garage I worked on (thankfully) looks significantly better. Unfortunately (or fortunately, not sure), DH asked me to help organize his side of the garage. It might result in marital counseling, but I said I'd try to start organizing it.

I really need to do a Goodwill run, start posting things for sale, and doing that sort of thing. Everything is sorted into piles, I just need to get the piles to their final resting places. Also, I need to actually clean the house at this point. 

I am a FlyLady dropout. It seems like a good idea when I read the website, but the morning routine, before-bed routine, zones, daily chores, and challenges seem remarkably overwhelming. Does anyone have/do a cleaning routine that is a bit more manageable/streamlined? 

I'm cleaning/purging/scrubbing/organizing/etc. my entire home right now while my kids are gone with their dad for a few weeks. I'm sneaky like that. This way....shhhh....they won't know when I throw all of their little trinkets away that I find on the floor, under the couch, under the bed, behind the toilet, under the kitchen table...the list could go on and on. :hurray:

I am a FlyLady dropout. It seems like a good idea when I read the website, but the morning routine, before-bed routine, zones, daily chores, and challenges seem remarkably overwhelming. Does anyone have/do a cleaning routine that is a bit more manageable/streamlined?

Each family is so unique. I think you have to devise your own system, whether from scratch or by tweaking someone else's system or list. I have had different routines for different times in our family's life. The years when we had lots of littles were very different from now, when our "baby" is 13.

I did what I read somewhere...took a sheet of paper and on one side, listed all the things that were daily chores, and on the other side, listed weekly chores. Then I thought about who could do what, what I would do, and on which days. Think about what days you will be out of the house for lessons, sports, or whatever. Which day is best for grocery shopping and errands? Then arrange your cleaning schedule how it best fits your family. Post it on the fridge and DO what you have listed for a week or two or three, and make needed adjustments. Tweak it until it works for you.

I am in the midst of redoing mine now, as I have a 20 yo moving out and his older sister finishing her last semester of college and moving out also.

Hope that helps a bit.

Just opened a drawer that hasn't been opened in years!  Found a stash of 1st grade educational games that we never used.  Yikes!  DS is in 4th now!  

They are being given to local homeschoolers.  I'm not going to save them for DD - she's only 2.  :)

I've tried to make flylady work here.  I like the system, and it works fairly well.  But the emails drive me bonkers.  Too cheerleaderish for me.  ("C'mon, girls!" type stuff drives me batty.)

I'm on an unintentional purging bunny trail. I got a new stove with two ovens, so I lost my lid/flat pan drawer. They've been in my dining room in a cardboard box for MONTHS. I decided I wanted them in the kitchen, so I cleared off the top of the fridge for them. The top of the fridge, however, held all the booze soooooo . . . I turned a DR bookcase into a bar today. This got the wine/liquor organized, and cleared the stemware out of the bottom of the china hutch, but displaced my sewing machine and sewing stuff that has been on that bookcase for years because the DR is always where I sew. Now my sewing stuff is all stored behind doors in the bottom of the hutch and the stemware is displayed. Now I just need to give away some of the stemware excess, mount a hanging rack for the rest, and put some sort of bar (tension rod?) in front of the shelf so nothing slips off and breaks. I think I want to hang a mirror behind the glasses to lighten it up. It's a cranberry wall and a black bookcase.

I'm pretty sure I NEED to go to Ikea :-)

My main floor is in decent shape, but the bedrooms need closet overhauls and the basement is downright scary. Since that stuff is all hidden I feel like I can ignore it indefinitely.

Thanks, PrairieSong! You're 100% right, I was just hoping for a pretty, pre-made schedule I could happily follow.

I was also hoping for a house elf to implement said schedule (I would happily pay said house elf a fair wage, of course). :001_smile:

You can find zillions of them on Google. Like this one. http://notsuperjustmom.com/2013/07/clean-it-up-a-weekly-cleaning-schedule/

I just think a schedule works better if you make it yourself after considering your own family and activities. The elf would be fantastic! Let me know if you find one.

I'm on an unintentional purging bunny trail. I got a new stove with two ovens, so I lost my lid/flat pan drawer. They've been in my dining room in a cardboard box for MONTHS. I decided I wanted them in the kitchen, so I cleared off the top of the fridge for them. The top of the fridge, however, held all the booze soooooo . . . I turned a DR bookcase into a bar today. This got the wine/liquor organized, and cleared the stemware out of the bottom of the china hutch, but displaced my sewing machine and sewing stuff that has been on that bookcase for years because the DR is always where I sew. Now my sewing stuff is all stored behind doors in the bottom of the hutch and the stemware is displayed. Now I just need to give away some of the stemware excess, mount a hanging rack for the rest, and put some sort of bar (tension rod?) in front of the shelf so nothing slips off and breaks. I think I want to hang a mirror behind the glasses to lighten it up. It's a cranberry wall and a black bookcase.

I'm pretty sure I NEED to go to Ikea :-)

My main floor is in decent shape, but the bedrooms need closet overhauls and the basement is downright scary. Since that stuff is all hidden I feel like I can ignore it indefinitely.

I'm imagining what a panda would look like climbing up on the fridge to move all that booze. Have fun at Ikea, if you go.