Menu

Designing a kitchen for multi-generations

momee

I get to start from scratch with my dream kitchen plans. Since my in-laws are moving in with us...I'm going to be cooking with my mother in law and my 3 daughters.

Two stoves, plenty of counter space and separate refrigerator/freezer are all mandatory. Other than that, I don't know what else I need to include.

Do I want an island or table? We will have an adjoining open dining space. There is a real possiblity the inlaws will eventually be in a wheel chair so I'm thinking high island wouldn't be a good idea.

Use a table rather than an island. Wheelchairs can be rolled up underneath the table, but not under a cabinet. I might also include a low bar type counter for them to be able to help out.

Consider carefully your drawer pulls so that feeble hands can easily open and close things. Perhaps a fridge with the freezer on the bottom? A low sink that is open underneath will work for wheelchair bound folks and children.

My friend's dad is in a wheelchair and their kitchen has many features similar to this one,  While they are not yet in a wheelchair, you could fill in the under counter spaces with storage that would be easy to remove later.

Also remember to have 'turning circles' big enough for a wheelchair to manoeuvre in the kitchen and easy access from the kitchen to the dining area - so nice wide doorways.

While you are all still mobile a table would be nice for everyone to work around together.

I vote no island because it really limits space to move around. Any appliance door opposite the island will cause a traffic jam. This is why I am planning to move our refrigerator across the kitchen, away from the main work area.

I would think about work stations instead of just counter space. My kitchen is large with a very big island which would be nice if I was the only cook, but my kids are right in there with me and we are constantly bumping into each other while getting dinner on the table, etc. I had a smaller kitchen with less counter space and liked it because there was an area for cooking/ baking with a peninsula and across the kitchen was the fridge and sink with a long counter on each side.

If you can plan a space for walking through the kitchen that won't impede kitchen activity, that would be a big bonus. Oh, and if you have a long counter away from the main sink you might want to consider a small sink for food prep. We may do that and it would be perfect for my littles washing their hands while cooking without getting in the way. I really like cooking with my kids so fixing this current set-up is something we've given a lot of thought.

-under cabinet lighting (lights the countertop). Easy and cheap to add while building and really helps all cooks, but especially anyone whose eyesight isn't as good as it used to be.

-nice wide aisles for wheelchair maneuverability.

-dd is in a wheelchair. We purposely changed the part of the kitchen plan where there was supposed to be a narrow high counter for bar stools. Just made it all the same level so we have a big peninsula, all the same height. Barstools would have just been something we all tripped over, but especially cumbersome for the wheelchair.

-could consider an area with a lower counter (good for kids and wheelchair users), but think realistically if the person in the wheelchair will be doing much food prep.

You are all so fast :)

I'm not sure what to plan for exactly. With that many people involved, planning for everything sounds like a good idea.

I wonder...have any of you found a resource that was particularly helpful in the planning stage of designing a kitchen. There are so many books at the library and a ton of websites. Any tried and true resources?

Thanks for helping me think it through. Not sure how to put up the floor plan. It's a google doc pdf now...is there a way I can easily upload dimensions?

You are all so fast :)

I'm not sure what to plan for exactly. With that many people involved, planning for everything sounds like a good idea.

I wonder...have any of you found a resource that was particularly helpful in the planning stage of designing a kitchen. There are so many books at the library and a ton of websites. Any tried and true resources?

Thanks for helping me think it through. Not sure how to put up the floor plan. It's a google doc pdf now...is there a way I can easily upload dimensions?

Honestly?  We hired a architectural designer.  Just for the kitchen, and just to help us get a handle on the layout.  We paid $800.  We had several meetings to discuss our needs/wants and measure our space, and she drew up blueprints that we were then able to take to our various construction people.  She brought up issues that never would have occurred to us and came up with some creative ideas that we really love.  She even talked directly to our cabinet guy to make sure he understood what we wanted, and gave me suggestions for a color palette based on my fondness for earth tones.  It was well worth the money.