Menu

Anyone else buy stuff from hsmom (JoAnna) & never get it?

hjordan423

hsmom had a classifieds ad on this forum at the beginning of the month.  I purchased 5 items and paid for them with paypal on July 2.  She said she mailed them on July 5, but now it's July 16 and I've never received them, cannot get her to respond to email and saw that her accound is "deactivated" from this forum.

Anyone else have this problem?  Did I get scammed?  Will paypal reimburse my money?  Thanks!

I had media mail take 51 days recently...though it was across the world practically....but the other things would be a big red flag to me and I'd be a little worried.  I might wait another week and then file with pp or I may just do it now because of the other issues.  Sorry you are dealing with this...bummer!

This is too bad...I hope your stuff shows up soon. Did you pay with the "personal tab" (is that what it's called??)? Some buyers are still asking to be paid that way. But, I believe that there is no buyer protection if you use that way to pay. I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard. So, this is a reminder to everybody they shouldn't pay that way (I'm not saying you did).

File!!!  You have like 45 days from date of payment but in this case I would file...can you check to see if she has received any selling feedback?  I know that I left neg for a nonsending seller and that helped ladies that later used personal get refunds because there was a history of fraud.  Good luck hopefully this turns out to be a misunderstanding but protect yourself.

I would file a claim and immediately escalate it.  If you receive your items, you can always close the claim.  I think that the biggest red flag is that he account is deactivated.  I hope that media mail is just taking longer than normal and that you receive your items soon.

That's really weird.  I don't know Joanna personally but she is a "board friend" (friends feature that is on the WTM boards) of mine and has been on the WTM boards for at least 4 or 5 years that I know of.  We used to PM now and then and chat on another board we were both on.  I guess that doesn't say much, and like I said, I don't really "know" her but she's not a newbie here or anything.  I haven't talked with her in a couple years now but she's certainly been around these boards for quite some time.  :confused1:

I'm sorry this happened to you.  Maybe she did mail it- Media Mail can take quite a long time.

I agree it's kind of early to be concerned. The 5th was a Friday and a day after a holiday. There have only been 8 business days since then & Media mail can take 3-4 weeks sometimes.  The account deactivation would make me somewhat concerned, so keep your eye on the dates of when you can file with Paypal. It's also possible that she's out of town right now & doesn't have email access. Hope your items come soon! Merry :-)

Thanks everyone!  I had no idea media mail could take so long.  I guess I've just been lucky each time I've had something shipped media mail in the past...I always have received it in less than a week. 

Maybe she's just out of town or something and that's why she hasn't responded to my email.   I really want to believe that all is good and it's just slow mail.  :)

I hope it all works out for you.  I just had an experience with a seller (not here, from a curriculum yahoo group), that I thought for sure had gone bad...I had a seller I knew wasn't going to ship the book right away, but it was only supposed to be a couple week delay.  Meanwhile, I got busy, failed to notice how much time had past and missed the deadline to file for paypal.  Amazingly enough, two months later my book showed up.  She said she just forgot about it.  Now, while it was still frustrating to wait two months, at least it was something I didn't need until Fall anyway.   Hopefully it is just some honest misunderstanding or slow postal service or something like that.  

I suggest that you file with PayPal, ASAP. Her WTM account being deactivated would be a very big "red flag" for me. My experiences, with Amazon Sellers who ship textbooks via USPS Media Mail have been outstanding. The latest was purchased and then shipped, on Friday the 12th, from the Nashville area, and was delivered to our Forwarder in Miami, the following Tuesday morning. Obviously, it depends upon where the Seller is and where you are, as to how many days is "normal" for Media Mail.  File with PayPal and GL

I did hear back from her yesterday. I haven't purchased through the boards since two years ago when I got scammed by the Poodle Pups with Principal lady, so even if I do eventually get my items, this time probably cements for me that it's not worth the risk to buy through the boards. It'll be eBay, Amazon, or new I guess.

Awww, that is a bummer. I love buying and selling here. If you use PayPal (properly, not as a personal payment), then I believe you have good protection. That is why I only use PayPal as a buyer or a seller. I also get a tracking number when I ship, as a bit of extra insurance. I think as a SELLER I am much more nervous than as a buyer, as PayPal, etc, protects buyers more than sellers, I think. Anyway, I've bought and sold a good bit over the years -- probably 20 sales and probably 12 or more purchases, and I have never been scammed. I hope you haven't had bad luck again. 

kandbp,

I still haven't heard from her or received my items.  Let me know if you get yours and I'll do the same.  Good luck!

For the record, I have bought lots of items from this forum and another and I have always had good results in the past.  

I would file with paypal. Let them know you are waiting on the items.  They will tell you exactly when you need to revoke payment.   If you don't receive items by the revoke date, I would have them refund your money.  If you get the items after,  you can always repay.  Let them know what is going on and what you have done.   I haven't had a bad experience with this board selling or buying.  I'm sorry that your exeperience hasn't been postive.

I did hear back from her yesterday. I haven't purchased through the boards since two years ago when I got scammed by the Poodle Pups with Principal lady, so even if I do eventually get my items, this time probably cements for me that it's not worth the risk to buy through the boards. It'll be eBay, Amazon, or new I guess.

The Poodle Pups with Principal lady is still active at this site, with a different user name.

What did she say when she replied? I bought $45 worth of stuff from her and used personal PayPal, trying to be nice. So does that mean I'm out of luck? I've tried to contact her twice. I hope my package arrives eventually!! It's been over 3 weeks now.

And I've bought several hundreds of dollars worth of stuff on this board and never had a problem until now....

Hmm. Well, here's what I ordered. I bought quite a bit! She had such a long history here on the board, I felt safe buying from her. She seems to have been going through a hard time, if you look at some of her more recent posts. I wonder if something happened and she wasn't able to send the items, then felt she needed to lie about it. I think I have lost $45.

The magic school bus set of books
Let's read and find out science - the planets in our solar system

Usborne science activities science and your body
Lincoln's little girl - a true story by Fred Trump - excellent condition
Don't know much about the 50 states -HB- great condition

Night science for kids - names in front cover- good condition-
Usborne Internet- linked science encyclopedia - soft cover -
Usborne Internet - linked first encyclopedia of space - soft cover

Tangram sets- 4 magnetic sets (blue, green, yellow, red)
4 hard plastic sets ( 2 purple, red, green)
Place value cards- 0-9000 hard plastic
Fraction charts- 3 sets ( one hard plastic in bright colors 1 -1/12, flexible whole sheet 1-1/
10, cut up flexible 1-1/10)

This is what I ordered (6 items) totaling $25:

Ancient Egyptians and their Neighbors
DK First Animal Encyclopedia

Usborne Essential Atlas of the World

The Usborne Young Naturalist book

The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide
D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths

So, it sounds like there are 4 people that we know of who ordered and did not receive materials yet?  Hmmm.

Oh, good! I was actually getting concerned about her, so I sent her another email yesterday (7/25) and just asked her if she was okay. I told her that I wasn't mad if she wasn't able to ship the items as planned--she could just ship them now, or refund the money. I tried to be super nice--I know that stuff happens, and I was worried that she was going through some personal drama. So here's the answer I got last night:

"As I have told four others I did ship all those packages on the same day. Not one has shown up. Teaches me not to purchase dc again.

Anyways I am issuing refunds for all the packages on August 8, 2013 via Paypal. I am so sorry all this has happened .

Now so you know I was gone for two weeks and got back this last Saturday . I returned to a swarm of emails and a huge mess.

Anyways sorry once again.

Joanna"

I think she meant that she learned that she should use delivery confirmation next time. But her response to me didn't really jive with what she told you, that your package came back undeliverable... I don't know what really happened, but I have a feeling she just mailed them all this week, and we will all see our packages within the next few days. If the other person's was postmarked on July 24, that came FAST.

In this day and age of technology, who goes out of town for two whole weeks and doesn't have any access to email whatsoever? Where was she vacationing... on a remote island or in the jungle with no signals? I suppose that's possible, but if I knew I was going out of town for two weeks and wouldn't have access to email at ALL, nowhere, at no hotels or libraries or on anybody else's phone or laptop or tablet or other device, I would set my email to "vacation" status so that people know why I'm not responding for that long of a time. We're talking two WEEKS here, not two DAYS. Especially if I was was in the process of conducting online business.

Besides... even if I was on a remote island or in the jungle with no signals for two weeks, I most likely would've had access to email once I got to an airport or hotel in between there and civilization.

No, there's some other reason y'all haven't received your packages.

In this day and age of technology, who goes out of town for two whole weeks and doesn't have any access to email whatsoever? Where was she vacationing... on a remote island or in the jungle with no signals? I suppose that's possible, but if I knew I was going out of town for two weeks and wouldn't have access to email at ALL, nowhere, at no hotels or libraries or on anybody else's phone or laptop or tablet or other device, I would set my email to "vacation" status so that people know why I'm not responding for that long of a time. We're talking two WEEKS here, not two DAYS. Especially if I was was in the process of conducting online business.

Besides... even if I was on a remote island or in the jungle with no signals for two weeks, I most likely would've had access to email once I got to an airport or hotel in between there and civilization.

In light of the bolded sentence, I agree. Your post made me laugh, though. Sometimes, even at my home, I will go a whole week or two with no internet/email access by choice. When we go out of town, it is almost always a given that we leave that stuff BEHIND while we are on vacation. Close family and friends know where we are/ alternative ways to get ahold of us, everyone else can wait. :)

In light of the bolded sentence, I agree. Your post made me laugh, though. Sometimes, even at my home, I will go a whole week or two with no internet/email access by choice. When we go out of town, it is almost always a given that we leave that stuff BEHIND while we are on vacation. Close family and friends know where we are/ alternative ways to get ahold of us, everyone else can wait. :)

You wouldn't leave online business transactions hanging w/o making sure everything's in order and properly resolved, though, right?  (I hope.)  That's my point. 

I might go for a few days without checking email if I was on vacation, but I'd be too afraid of what's in my inbox when I get home if I didn't check it at ALL for two whole weeks.  Even if I wasn't in the middle of business transactions.   :ohmy: :scared:  :lol: 

Well, in all fairness, there are plenty of places.  She didn't say vacation, she said camping, right?  So it is plausible... My DH and DS just went camping for a week (Oregon) - no signals whatsoever.  And, generally, one wouldn't take a camping trip with a laptop, it would take away from the camping experience. ;)

So, it happens.  I'd say before jumping on the bandwagon, everyone will know in the next few days.  Being reserved and waiting to see often prevents us from looking silly so file the claim (just in case) and then hold on and wait.  I've been scammed once (NOT here) but the large majority have worked out.  (And, in the one scenario I was taken advantage of, after several months, I was reimbursed by the seller's choice.  It was very reassuring.)

And I'll add that while it was an absolute bummer to lose all of our feedback when the new Classifieds section was added, and I was very frustrated by it, over time it will be built up again and be dependable again. 

I didn't get a smart phone until April, and before then I had no wireless type of internet.  A few weeks out of the year we would visit my in laws, and they have no internet.  So when we would visit, we literally had no way of emailing or anything of the sort.  So, I think it's possible.  And I didn't know you could set your email up for "vacation."  I'm not trying to be smart or anything, but just saying that I think it's very possible that she could have been without internet access.  It doesn't explain other inaccuracies to the stories though.

In this day and age of technology, who goes out of town for two whole weeks and doesn't have any access to email whatsoever?

We were camping for a week in June at a site with no phone or internet access. It's entirely possible for people to be out of touch for that long. 

Well, maybe I just have more mail (personal and otherwise) coming in to my inbox than most people, because when I went to visit my 80+ year old mom in another state for two weeks, with no internet, no smart phone, and no laptop, I went to the library two or three times during that two weeks to check mail.  :tongue_smilie:  

Now when we went camping for just four DAYS (not two WEEKS) a couple years ago, I didn't bother to try to get to a computer.  But there's a difference between 4 days and 2 weeks.  Like I said, especially if you're in the middle of online business transactions.  Again, THIS was my point.  She left her customers hanging.... regardless of the reason.  If it was me, I would've at least told my buyers up front something like, "Hey, I'm heading out of town for a couple weeks.... just let me know when you receive your product, and I'll follow up as soon as I return!" 

Like I said, especially if you're in the middle of online business transactions.

I agree. 

And before anyone says anything about this not being a business and just doing it as a hobby or to make extra money or whatever, as soon as you take money for goods, you are doing business.

Professionalism is important.

I agree. 

And before anyone says anything about this not being a business and just doing it as a hobby or to make extra money or whatever, as soon as you take money for goods, you are doing business.

Professionalism is important.

Yep.  I've seen many posts on this forum calling it a "business" in defense of Paypal's rule that the seller pay all fees.  If it's a "business" for Paypal fees, then it's a "business" when you're going on vacation, too. 

Just an update...I haven't received anything yet, but still hoping, in light of this new information.  Hey, life happens and who knows what struggles she is facing right now, so I am not down on her or have any ill feelings.  I would just love to receive the books I ordered...or get the refund.  Glad to hear someone received theirs.  Please continue to update if you get your shipment.  Thanks!  

I think that will be day 41 for me, too. Unfortunately, I'm a softie and I pay people using the personal payment tab. So, there's no way I can open a dispute with PayPal regardless of the timeframe. :( Did you see that in PayPal, her address is even unverified?

I'm just going to forgive her and let it go. It's out of my hands completely! I will let you know if I ever receive my package!

Can I ask every one a question? When you pay via Paypal, do you pay personal and pay the fee or you let the seller pay the seller pay the fee? I am still confuse about this. Some ask for me to pay the fee and if I buy somewhere else and accept Paypal do I pay personal or let them pay the fee?

Thanks!

Can I ask every one a question? When you pay via Paypal, do you pay personal and pay the fee or you let the seller pay the seller pay the fee? I am still confuse about this. Some ask for me to pay the fee and if I buy somewhere else and accept Paypal do I pay personal or let them pay the fee?

Thanks!

If I am buying something, I always, always use the NOT personal tab (can't remember what it's called offhand), on the (hopefully) off chance that something goes wrong. If you use the personal tab, there's no way to file a dispute.

If I sell something, I expect to pay the seller fee. That's just part of selling using Paypal.

If I am buying something, I always, always use the NOT personal tab (can't remember what it's called offhand), on the (hopefully) off chance that something goes wrong. If you use the personal tab, there's no way to file a dispute.

If I sell something, I expect to pay the seller fee. That's just part of selling using Paypal.

This.  The first part is a wise move to protect yourself.  The second part is actually a Paypal rule:  If you are the seller, you are *expected* to pay the fee.

Me too.  I only use the Gift option (or whatever it's called) for people that I personally know.  A girlfriend sent me a book, for example, and I paid her the shipping. 

For anyone else, it's a business transaction and should be treated as such.

Thanks!

DO NOT use the personal tab unless you are sending money to someone you know in person (and trust them).  It doesn't matter if they sound nice, if you feel like being kind, sympathetic, it's just another homeschool mom who surely wouldn't cheat you, etc.  The Paypal fees really are minimal.  If you use the Personal tab you have no protection from Paypal.  Be smart, protect yourself, and use the regular "paying for products" tab.

Thanks!

When you click on the "Send Money" tab on Paypal, it asks you in the box that comes up if you are "paying for goods or services" or "sending money to friends or family."  If you select "sending money to friends or family" there is no charge to either the buyer or the seller.  If you select "paying for goods or services" there is a 2% fee to the seller.  ALWAYS use this when buying anything!  If the seller asks you to pay the fee, just include the extra 2% in your payment, but still use the "goods or services" option.

My name is JoAnna and everytime I see this thread I think it's someone who impersonated me! Because you know, there can't POSSIBLY be two people in the world with the same name, right???

Haha!  No, this person is JoAnna Garris and was "hsmom" on this forum.

I finally escalated my paypal dispute to a "claim" on the 8th.  I won't hear anything back until the 18th it sounds like.

kandbp, I'm glad you got your money back!