Menu

3 dogs for the cost of 2?

Sunkirst

I'm hoping some "dog people" can help me out.  We are a small working farm. Mostly a market garden, but we are branching out into pastured poultry and nex year, sheep. We currently have 2 dogs: Chuba, a pitbull mix who does a great job of protecting the garden from deer, woodchucks and other maurauders, and Mazzy, a sweet rescue, who has learned not to chase the cats and birds.  We are thinking about getting a third dog, but we are wondering if there are ways to not spend So Much Money when we add a third.

Currently, we feed TSC's grain free food, and we go to the vet for all shots, yearly check-ups etc. We also pay for a yearly parasite/flea preventative.  I think we spend $800-$1000 a year per dog.

Is there a way to do it cheaper and still provide good care and high quality food?  I've made their food in the past, but unless I can find lower cost protein, it cost just as much as bagged, and I can't find cheap protein.

Thanks All!

Learn to do your own shots; it will save you a lot!  They are realy quite cheap to buy. The only shot I have the vet give here is the rabies because we are supposed to be licensed in the city with it.  Giving a shot is easy.  Some are SubQ (just under the skin) and some are IM (in the muscle-normally given in the thigh).  Most dogs shots though are SubQ.

But I will say...three or more dogs on a farm can sometimes spell trouble...advice from a previous small time farmer :)  I mostly had a dog yard and then the fields for the other animals...when the owners were away the dogs liked to play...easier to separate them

So giving shots... Is this something I can learn via YouTube? Is it important enough that I should ask my old vet (who is 2 hours away, and wonderful) to give me a lesson?

As to supplementing with raw. I feed the dogs tons of scraps, including raw stuff that we won't eat. With the rise of nourishing traditions, and bone broth, our local farmers are now selling even their bones for more than I can afford often (I used to be able to get freezer burnt or old stuff or hearts etc, but no longer). What are the best sources for cheap raw meat and bones?

Countrygirl, I'm afraid of the third wheel thing. I might start taking one with me most places ;-)

Is it important enough that I should ask my old vet (who is 2 hours away, and wonderful) to give me a lesson?

Wouldn't hurt to ask. Really, country girl is right. There's not much to it. However, it's a confidence thing more than anything, so having a pro show you what you're doing might be just what you need. Personally, even though I've given thousands of shots over the years to cattle, horses, dogs, cats, etc., I still haul my crew to the vet (I'll see you three and raise you three more!) for the simple fact that I know they'll get a minimal exam once a year that way.

However, my vet is cheap and I know it. ;)

If you don't want to ask the vet check if your neighbors do their own shots and if one will show you. The person I am getting my new pup from does her own and she is going to teach me. It'll cost me like $20 for the vax vs $120 getting them done at the vet. They'll still go to the vet occasionally for a check up, but vaxes will be done at home which will save money long term (for us by the end of august we will have 2 dogs and 3 cats, I can't afford to take everyone every year for vet/vax, so I will do all vax and then can stagger the vet visits)

In the fall you could order a 1/4 cow for your family and use some of that to supplement raw, or post an in hunting season asking if anyone wants to split their catch for the cost of the butchering/packing. Hunters can't sell their catch because it is not inspected, but they can split the cost and share. You can then also ask for the organs etc to feed the animals and give them any parts of the meat your family won't eat.

I am going to be feeding mine a food called raw insticts bites. It is frozen raw food from the pet store. LIke $27 a bag. For my little ones it will be enough for a while, bigger dogs you would go through it faster, but as a supplement you wouldn't use as much. I have found it to not be a bad price for giving them actual meat.

Also check at your grocery store butcher for bones etc. They sell soup bones usually for $1-2