Menu

Resources for beginner reading comprehension questions

debi21

I've been reevaluating what I want to work on with my son for the upcoming year, which I'm considering like a K4. One of the things I want to do is read books to him (of course) and I want to use that experience to develop his reading comprehension and critical thinking, which I feel like I haven't done enough of.

So I looked at the FIAR sample, and it is definitely not what I want - I'm not interested in tangential subjects, crafty things, etc. - although I will make use of the read five times thing, because I think that's brilliant. I also looked at the Peak with Books sample pages. This does have exactly what I want - the "A Closer Look" section of questions, but I really don't feel like that is enough to warrant purchasing the whole book.

My question, then, is whether anyone knows of any other resources that have critical thinking/reading comprehension questions that relate to preschool and kindergarten age books.

If anyone is interested, the google sample of Peak with Books is at

I feel like I should be able to come up with these questions on my own, but in practice it doesn't seem like I am very good at it.

Thanks,

Debi

I didn't use anything at the preschool age, besides having my DD and DS retell me parts of the story and try to predict what would happen next and what clues from the book made them think that.  I also ask what emotions they think characters are feeling.   Now that my DD is going into 1st, I have purchased Teaching the Classics on the recommendation of a friend.  I wanted a little bit more purpose and direction. 

I do not know of any resource that has what you are looking for - occassionally I have googled a book I am reading for activities and there are some free ones for many of the books but not so much comprehension questions as activities that aid comprehension (cut and paste, color, draw or do a 3D art project).

If you want a more formal comprehension exercise then my advice would be to read the book first and then jot down some questions you could ask - they should be very basic initially relating to the facts of the story (How many pigs were there? What did they build their houses of?) and then more personal (Which house do you like best? Have you ever seen a house made of sticks? - these are the types of questions you can use google to look for images if the child has no experience or you can point these things out later) and then more creative (this is where you stop the story in the middle and ask what you think might happen next) and finally analysing and explaining - the critical thinking part - (why do you think the wolf could not blow down the brick house? How could he have got into that house do you think? Is it right to go into someone's house if it is not your house and you haven't asked permission?) You should also discuss and look at the pictures on the pages and talk about them - sometimes before reading, almost always during the reading and sometimes only after the story is finished.

As long as you are asking some questions and engaging your child you cannot go wrong - even just asking them for one thing they remember when they are done will help tremendously. Relating a story back to real life and past memories also always helps. Even if you don't ask your child any questions you will be doing a good job if you just give pauses every now and then so that your child can comment and say what he wants.

we are after schooler so we do have time to do and of the carfty stuff you mention. For us, it is pretty easy. The girl read loud to me. I ask her some question during the reading. usually after few pages or a chapter. If there is a vocabulary that I almost certain that she does not know. I will ask her and explain the word. Before the chapter starts, I ask her to look at the title and look at the picture and ask her what she think gonna happen.

Back when my DS in 1st grade, The teacher gave them a sticky note, they either write a sentence of summery or draw a picture of what happen each page. I think that was pretty good also.

I tried Peak With Books and was really disappointed. The activities in it were very much geared for classrooms and sometimes difficult or impossible to scale down for home. I thought the reading comprehension questions in it were simple enough that I could do as well or better on my own - and that's saying something since I bought it because I was afraid I wasn't doing that part well enough. I find that if I look at each page of a story and simply remember "who, what, when, where, why, how" then I can come up with good questions for my daughter. Peak With Books is actually in a box right now waiting for me to drive it to a book donation center, right along with 100 EZ Lessons, which was the other major bust we had. I suppose if you want to try it, I could dig it out and send it to you for the cost of shipping.

I finally just skipped DD ahead to a Moving Beyond the Page 5-7 concept and that seems to be a much better level for her for comprehension. No idea if their new level for 4-5 year olds covers reading comprehension.

I tried Peak With Books and was really disappointed. The activities in it were very much geared for classrooms and sometimes difficult or impossible to scale down for home. I thought the reading comprehension questions in it were simple enough that I could do as well or better on my own - and that's saying something since I bought it because I was afraid I wasn't doing that part well enough. I find that if I look at each page of a story and simply remember "who, what, when, where, why, how" then I can come up with good questions for my daughter. Peak With Books is actually in a box right now waiting for me to drive it to a book donation center, right along with 100 EZ Lessons, which was the other major bust we had. I suppose if you want to try it, I could dig it out and send it to you for the cost of shipping.

I finally just skipped DD ahead to a Moving Beyond the Page 5-7 concept and that seems to be a much better level for her for comprehension. No idea if their new level for 4-5 year olds covers reading comprehension.

All resources definitely don't work for every one. You're right about some of them being classroom oriented. I had no trouble picking activities to do. There's so many for each book that you couldn't do all of them anyway. And the book is usable over years rather than as one year like MBtP has it scheduled out. 

It's definitely a resource more so than an open and go book. 

I made up my own questions for some of the Bob books, one set you can download from my blog, here: http://www.mommyvan.com/2012/11/reading-comprehension-for-beginners/

I wanted something my kids culd do independently, so I made the questions simple words that they could read on their own. I accepted even one-word answers. They were allowed to go back and look through the book if they didn't remember, I just wanted to get them used to the idea of thinking about the meaning of the words they were reading.

I have questions for one of the other Bob sets too, but they're not posted. If you msg me your email address I can send them to you.