Menu

Christian vs. Secular university: Your thoughts?

profmom

Hi Julie,

Actually, yes, whole colleges and universities are regionally accredited. The accreditation process looks at a variety of overall factors about the school - including courses offered, faculty qualifications, facilities, etc. It is actually pretty rare for schools to lose accreditation and there are plenty of lousy schools that are accredited so this is just a very basic standard. There are additional kinds of accreditation than can affect specific departments of a university including ABETS for engineering that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Ah, thanks for that explanation.  I'm only familiar with the accreditation process for specific schools, such as you mentioned engineering.  These kinds:  http://www.chea.org/Directories/special.asp

I didn't realize the whole university could be accredited.  Seems very useless to me, since it would be so disconnected from the course content or anything else of substance.  Kind of like the disconnect when I was a VA employee and hospital accreditation required us to have yearly safety training, so they told us not to put white-out in our eyes.  Anyways, not that my opinion on it matters :)  It's good to know these things.

Julie

Hi Julie, here's another link to read (from US dept of ed) on the 2 types of accreditation you and Barbara are discussing (institutional and programmatic)... just more info to read if you have interest in the topic.  The "regional" tends to apply to the institutional process. That's the ones like the Middle States....

http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/accreditation_pg2.html#U.S.

oh.. another list to look at... various agencies.

http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/agencies.aspx

thought you might enjoy reading on it as I know you like to research stuff and hoped you'd enjoy that.  :)

• 1 month later...

I've read some reviews of a couple of Christian colleges. One was Baylor, and the reviews from students made it clear that it wasn't really a Christian environment (which confirms what I've heard too). On the other hand, the reviews of ORU were different. The negative reviews were complaints about things like not being able to find parties, other students' not understanding that student's choice to be sexually active, etc. I know that there are always going to be a range of values in the students, and some colleges market themselves (and maybe wish to be by the leadership) as Christian to entice parents. I'm wishing for a Christian college because those years are so important!

If you know of colleges that claim to be Christian that are really secular, please list them!

I'm a Baylor alum with many friend's children at Baylor. I couldn't disagree more!