Menu

Need suggestions for childcare/baby books for a liberal mom :-)

My li'l bro and his dw are adopting a little girl from China.

Sil is a career gal --she will NOT be staying home w/ this baby.

She works at the Senate in DC, and he is going to Marine Corps Officer Candidate School. He's a staunch Republican and she's a Dyed-in-the-Wool Democrat :-) They are both in their early 30's. Li'l bro says the child will be 9-12 months old.

ANYway...I am the absolute LAST person that she will take advice from --I homeschool [gasp!] -5 kiddos, conservative, etc. I can tell my li'l bro all kinds of things, but he has to watch how he recommends stuff to her too. She wouldn't let him switch out a circuit breaker in their new house because he wasn't a qualified electrician.

Something written by someone w/ known Democrat leanings and a degree in Child-Something-or-Other would probably carry more weight w/ her. i can almost guarantee she is NOT going to want any attachment parenting stuff.

They are attending adoption classes. She is going on a staff trip to China in March and will likely check out some souvenirs while there.

SO: if you could recommend some good childcare books that might resonate w/ someone who thinks along those lines, feel free to recommend them. They do go to church, but she is not a strong Christian.

TIA!!

Okay - so now you hurt my feelings ;) I am a liberal democrat. or was that libertarian? anywho - I vote to get her the Dr. Spock book. It is big and everyone has heard of Dr. Spock but most haven't actually read his books, but he is very much for many of the good parenting values that you probably would share. He is even for raising kids vegetarian, wearing cloth diapers, and co-sleeping, but it is all tucked in 900 pages of AAP approved stuff.

Well, obviously I'm not the career type... but we really liked The Baby Whisperer. There's one specifically for toddlers but starts at 8 months, so that might be better than a "first year" focus. They have a great message board too, though I blame those ladies for my current internet habit. ;)

Karen in CO -- don't feel hurt!! :-)

~offering more rhino skin~

She's made it Very Clear to li'l bro that 'my' lifestyle is absolutely completely wrong. Too many kids. Unlicensed education. Not contributing to the Workforce. backing the wrong political values to boot, lol.

I just want to make sure I don't come off as "preachy" to her, kwim??

and Rachel --her deciding to homeschool would be as dramatic as Hillary supporting Bush, lol. She's pretty outspoken about it --but not to my face :-). However, I'll keep Holt in mind. Just in case.....

thanks for the recs everyone!

There are some great adoption books. I just found one called Lost Daughters of China. When You Were Born in China is another great one. There is a great website called Asiaforkids.com that has alot of great stuff, from Chinese babydolls to Adoption Baby Books to Books for parents and/or children on 'dealing' with adoption.

HTH

How about Taking Care of Your Child: A Parent's Illustrated Guide to Complete Medical Care? We got this when we went overseas and it was wonderful. It has nifty flowcharts to help you decide if something is worth going to the doctor (or worth the ER). It also has nice explainations of lots of childhood medical stuff.

Sebastian

Percival Blakeney Academy

Woohoo, I made a link!