Menu

The Mislabeled Child-Processing is our problem-help!

gg142

Dear board members,

I am fairly new, I joined knowing only that my child has a severe speech issue, possibly a processing one, we also knew we have a connective tissue disorder but we did not know what is going on and how to help her. Down the path of processing I have started horse riding, the iLS and just very recently looked at ABA-VB speech therapy stuff. This was mostly just an intuition on my side, then we found a good OT specilized in sensory integration and things got moving.

The fantastic book THE MISLABELED CHILD is shedding all the light I needed to continue in my search but might not have a lot of therapy ideas.

There is a communication gap chapter that describes my child to a T and also explains how these kids are then later labeled as mentally retarded...can you believe it? I cannot, I really cannot comprehend how doctors and therapists cannot figure this out in time and condamn our children...I am so shell shocked and a nervous wreck, I just hope that I am catching this in time. According to this book I might have as I should be able to lessen the effects of this abnormal development (which I am pretty positive now it is linked to the CTD)from what we have been seeing. Also they quote fairly quick responses to the right therapy.

Anyhow, the book is giving me hopes and also explaining why everything we are doing right now is having these amazing effects (basically they suggest horses, swimming, sensory integration and a lot of 1-1 speech therapy based on simplified commands and teaching phonemes, then words visually etc).

My child's speech gains in 3 weeks are equivalent to the gains she had in a year with traditional speech therapy (she went for 1-2 words sentences to consistent 3-4 words and meaningful conversation as well as talking while playing).

What they suggest for these issues is multihour therapy one to one...it's pretty much the Lindamood-bell approach, but can also be implemented differently, I found some verbal behavior therapists...guess what...yes...it works!!

For now this is all I can implement in the UK, but these gains are amazing, she is so happy poor baby she is so happy she can talk! She said last night "I do summer salt" I was shocked and so used not to ask her directly that I asked her sister...did you just do a summer salt, how does she know this word? how did she remembered? and my little one replied "I membered"!! I cried so much after that! she understands so much more than what I think she does!

I urge a lot of the parents on this board to just have a think about this in case it was missed for your child...and also ask you please please share what was useful for your child, this board is a lifeline for me and I will be forever grateful

GG