Menu

Thank you! The person who suggested compiling

BlsdMama

all of the various worksheets, copywork, etc. together and binding  it  is a GENIUS. 

I suspect it will save me oodles of  time and frustration.

So, for the past couple of days I've been pulling everything together.

Later this morning my piles looked like this:

planning_zpsb97641db.jpg

I put notes on how many copies, for whom, double or single sided, etc.  I added assignment sheets with each subject and check boxes, but lots of blank space for the older girls to write in what exactly they did.  (Teaching a little more independence / accountability to my 9yo and 11yo.)

I packed it all up and it looked like this:

pile_zps6f293f5c.jpg

Then off I went.  I copied, I sorted, I had piles of papers all around me. :)  It was long.  I'm tired.  But when I left I had three of these done and I am just a tiny short while from two more being COMPLETE!

binders2_zps4f26003f.jpg

So much better!

Now, I think this is actually a solution, not just a band-aid!

Thank you again!

• Like 10

I've been sitting here listing what we use that is a worksheet/printed. I just keep thinking instead of bulky workboxes I have to refill daily, I can make a weekly booklet (or monthly with bigger bindings).

I'm not sure how the OP did it, but I'm trying to figure out how to have a variety of subjects. (So the kids could just work front to back.) But I still want to duplex print the pages. I have the beginnings of some ideas, other than the manual method of trying to remember which way the paper goes.  :lol:  Or I might just decide not to worry about it at all. I can always let the kids draw on the backs.

The two threads I've seen about this are:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/475963-i-made-my-own-all-in-one-curric-and-had-it-spiral-bound/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/343821-does-anyone-make-their-own-workbooks-from-other-materials/

This would also work well with the infamous Filing System -- I'm thinking of printing and filing by subject, and then making 2-6 weeks worth of booklets at a time, incase things don't go according to schedule.

Love it!

Did you include your math and CLE sheets in there? 

Yes on the CLE sheets but no on the math.  When I make the switch to Math Mammoth (when it goes on sale next month at HBC) I will include them as well.  I wouldn't recommend the CLE though - it did NOT play nicely!  The sheets are thin and not quite the right size so it took some effort to get them lined up.

Where did you get this idea? It looks fantastic!

The idea was in a planning thread from a few years ago where I caught that someone else had just put everything into one big book.

Those came out great!

One thing I also do is have my dd sign her book so I have a record of her signature.

Great idea!

Can I ask how you ordered the sheets?  By day's worth of subjects, or by chunks of subjects?  

I went to the UPS store yesterday thinking it would take an hour.  It took four.  So, by the end, I just grouped it by subject per week in the books for my littles - they are 5yo, 6yo, and 8yo.  So, for example there is a big blank sheet that says:  WEEK 1, followed by the WWE sheets (redone in StartWrite to have italics copywork), then all my CLE sheets, SOTW activity sheets, ETC, BibleScribe, Christian Kids Biology, etc in chunks.  I don't like it and I'll change it, but frankly I was exhausted.

I can still change it though - the spirals come out easy peasy so if I get motivated today while I do NOTHING but sit, lol, I can organize it better. :)

However, I have my 9yo and 11yo still to bind and that's going in DAILY order, still divided by the weekly separation sheets.  They have the addition of weekly assignment checklists and a planner area that they record exactly WHAT they did that day.  It's my goal of training them towards good record keeping.  My oldest DD tracks everything in Homeschool Tracker (she's my Type A girl) and it's just so much easier to have them be accountable for this.

Very nice! I am interested in more details too!  Did you take it somewhere to have it done or did you do it all on your own at home?

I did some of it at home.  I burned a CD of my downloads and went through them and found out what pages I wanted printed of each.

Some things, like Christian Kids Bio and SOTW, I needed everything printed of Units/Chapters 1-8 for Liz and for Rebecca, but I needed 4 extra copies of coloring pages for Tim, Abbie, Sarah, and Ella.  My post it notes made it SO much easier when I got to the copier.  Make notes of things like single sided and double sided and separate things that are both.  For example, in WWE 4, you have some pages that are double sided.  Those should be pre-pulled and marked double sided.  It's a LOT easier to do before you get there. I took over one table and one copier.  You might call around and find out if anywhere in your area gives an education discount and ask for homeschoolers.  A very kind homeschooling mama told me about our local UPS store (one does honor homeschoolers and one does not) that does single side copies for three and half cents.  I was thrilled.   The girl behind the counter did my binding.  *But* apparently you can "drill" the holes all for free and the spirals are re-useable and cheap.  So, don't let that be inhibitive. ;)

I've been sitting here listing what we use that is a worksheet/printed. I just keep thinking instead of bulky workboxes I have to refill daily, I can make a weekly booklet (or monthly with bigger bindings).

I'm not sure how the OP did it, but I'm trying to figure out how to have a variety of subjects. While still duplex printing the pages. I have the beginnings of some ideas, other than the manual method of trying to remember which way the paper goes. Or I might just decide not to worry about it at all. I can always let the kids draw on the backs.

The two threads I've seen about this are:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/475963-i-made-my-own-all-in-one-curric-and-had-it-spiral-bound/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/343821-does-anyone-make-their-own-workbooks-from-other-materials/

This would also work well with the infamous Filing System -- I'm thinking of printing and filing by subject, and then making 2-6 weeks worth of booklets at a time, incase things don't go according to schedule.

I think my blog was one of the first to switch from WorkBoxes to Filing. 

http://truevineherbs.wordpress.com/2009/06/30/okay-i-get-an-f-for-workboxes/

That was 2009.  It still gets a fair amount of hits, lol.  Maybe I should update? ;)

If you look at the first picture in this post, you'll see I still have a couple of the file boxes, lol!

I was proud of myself for getting on this early, but apparently I always have.  That was June 30th. :D 

Here's my problem with the filing system - it's too much for me.  It became too much bulk, too many folders, too much loose paper.  Now, granted, if you have 1-3 children, it might still work, ESPECIALLY if you want to file everything - three hole punch it and put it in binders a la TWTM book.   For me, a lot of those cute file boxes got used as step stools.  FYI, they don't hold up great this way.  So, last year, in an effort to revamp, I went down to TWO file boxes with color coded quarterly folders and labeled them Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, etc.  It was okay.  It was nothing spectacular.  I still had a lot of loose paper. 

So, something that's relevant here:  I'm a clutter-phobe.  I have a serious issue with clutter.  This is really bad as a mom of ten kids, btw.  I think it makes me twitch to see "stuff" all over the place.  Not at other people's houses, mind you.  I actually LIKE knick-knacks and pretty things at OTHER people's houses.  Just not at mine.  I literally just packed away about 50% of the books I own so I don't have to look at them this school year.  I'm thinking it wasn't enough.  I have some nekkid bookshelves right now and I'm loving it.   It's an illness, lol.  These books?  They're my happy pill.

• Like 2

I don't have stuff or budget for binding, and don't plan that far ahead. I might start putting together weekly packets, though. The idea certainly has appeal.

I don't know if your UPS store has it, but mine lets you use the drill for free.  I think the spirals are $1.50?  They are re-useable.  So you could make six weeks up, then wind the spiral out and re-use it for the next six week book. :)   I think that's the beauty of it - it doesn't involve getting STUFF!

My only expense was photocopies, which I would have had to do ANYWAY!  But, I would have done it at home and spent a fortune on ink.  (I need a laser printer, I know this.)  The only *fluff* expense was the all color title pages on cardstock - they were like $0.23 each.  I went wild. ;)

I did this last fall.

This year I am just using folders with pockets and brads. One folder for each week sorted by subject rather than by day. It isn't cheaper than having it spiral bound, but I can hole-punch and add things easily. Any paper that isn't the correct size and any last minute notes or instructions can go in the pockets.

My son is 10 and will be 11 this fall. We have reached a point where he needs to figure some of this out himself. He is prepubescent and doesn't enjoy having me try to handhold him. I have not decided how much managing of his folder will be required. I think that this is going to be a we'll-wait-and-see situation. :)

Mandy

I read someone here who used a pocket folder (cut down the middle) for her front & back covers - study and the pockets let her add things. I don't have any pocket folders, but I remembered reading about how to make a pocket divider with a file folder. And I have a lot of file folders! I think I'll use these for the back cover, and hopefully do 6 weeks worth of booklets at a time since I'll have a place to make any changes. And it will stiffen up the book - I hate floppy books.

Post here: http://healthynbalanced.wordpress.com/2011/12/31/diy-pocket-dividers/

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

all of the various worksheets, copywork, etc. together and binding  it  is a GENIUS. 

I suspect it will save me oodles of  time and frustration.

So, for the past couple of days I've been pulling everything together.

Later this morning my piles looked like this:

planning_zpsb97641db.jpg

I put notes on how many copies, for whom, double or single sided, etc.  I added assignment sheets with each subject and check boxes, but lots of blank space for the older girls to write in what exactly they did.  (Teaching a little more independence / accountability to my 9yo and 11yo.)

I packed it all up and it looked like this:

pile_zps6f293f5c.jpg

Then off I went.  I copied, I sorted, I had piles of papers all around me. :)  It was long.  I'm tired.  But when I left I had three of these done and I am just a tiny short while from two more being COMPLETE!

binders2_zps4f26003f.jpg

So much better!

Now, I think this is actually a solution, not just a band-aid!

Thank you again!

Bumping this awesome thread.  I'm wondering how this has worked out for you, BlsdMama, and everyone else who's done something like this!  :-)