Menu

Advocacy advice

Tracy

I have always homeschooled, and I have never had the need to advocate for my kids . . . until now.  

A little background:  Dd8 is probably 2e.  She is very bright, talented and social, so everyone is super surprised when I tell them that I suspect that she has a learning disability (at least slow processing, possibly mild ADHD).  The place where it shows up the most is in writing.  We are working our way through it, and I have had to pare down her writing to the absolute minimum, which includes daily spelling dictation, daily WWE, and some math worksheets (about 3x/wk).  

At church, there is a new teacher in charge of the 8-12yo activities.  The program revolves around doing things to increase one's faith, such as learning scriptures and doing service.  Nothing in the program requires writing, but it is only a guide, and much is left up to the teacher.  The first day, the new teacher handed out a form for them to fill out to tell her what they would like to do in the program.  My dd8 did not finish it.  The second day was this evening, and she had them copy a scripture (one she had already memorized).  Everyone was really surprised when she said she didn't like to write.  I guess they expect that everything comes really easy to her.  

I feel like I need to alert the teacher to the problem.  But I am really, really nervous about it.  I don't want to come across as a big, over-protective mama bear.  Heck, I am not even sure if it is warranted at this point.  If it were a community class, I probably wouldn't do anything.  But this is a class she will be in for church for the next 4 years and is supposed to be strengthening her spiritually, and I don't think that is going to happen by using her weakest characteristic.  At the same time, I am worried that no one will believe me.  

Can you all give some advice about how to approach this?  Should I meet with her in person, or is that over the top?  Is a phone call enough (it would happen sooner this way)?  What words would you use?  

Yes, I would talk with the teacher and/or the person who supervises the program.

We are in a similar situation with my DS. He had a LD that impacts reading and writing and ADHD. He really, really doesn't like going to religious education classes because it is too much like school with lots of reading and writing and having to sit still.

I am planning to talk with the person in charge of our religious education program to see what our options are. (Other than me teaching the class)

Personally I would talk to her in person.

I think try to work with the teacher and have ideas.

Ideas are: have access to memory verses ahead of time to practice; have access to papers ahead of time and you can help her; do some things with a buddy (maybe everyone) if that would keep her from being put in the spot.

It doesn't sound like you want to go into a lot if details. Bc she is the youngest in an 8-12 class, I think you can just say -- she is a younger kid and she is having a little bit if a hard time, but you understand it is hard to deal with such a range if abilities as comes with that age.

Anyway that is how I would start I think.

I would question if, if this class is not a good fit at age 8, you could keep her out for a year. If the whole family is attending at the same time, I would try harder to work with the teacher.

Really though if she is not being put on the spot maybe it is okay she is working on a little lower level? Maybe a few other 3rd graders are also not doing the same as the 7th graders? If it bothers her I would pursue it for sure, but maybe other kids didn't finish and it is not a big deal. It is hard to know what kids are bothered by and what they don't mind sometimes.

It definitely bothers her.  She tries to act like it is less of an issue than it is, but I know her, and this is a very sensitive issue for her.  There are only about 6 kids in the class, and 3 of them are her age, within a few months.  So I know it bothers her that her same-age peers can do these things so effortlessly.  It doesn't help that everyone thinks she is so smart and can do everything.  She feels like she is letting everybody down when she doesn't live up to their view of her.  

Quietly speak with the teacher and try to propose alternatives for your DD. DH and I handed out slips of paper with memory verses already written on them and taught 12-15 students in our class.

Writing in class involved fill in the blank/cloze work.

I used to mind map everything and wrote out the answers on the board so the the kids could spell everything. These were 9 and 10 year olds. Never called on a child to read, unless they raised their hand.