"Next Wednesday"

Occasionally

"Next Wednesday"  

96 members have voted

1. 1. It's Sunday. When someone says "next Wednesday," that means:

• Three days from now
    • Ten days from now
    • Something else

Say it's Sunday, and someone tells you something about "next Wednesday." When is that? Three days from that day, or ten days? When is the cutoff for the "next" week?

I'm confused about a get-together that I thought was supposed to be today. As I haven't heard anything about it, I can only assume that it was meant to be a week from today instead. What would you have thought?

It's linguistically ambiguous and should be struck from everyone's vocabulary, forever, punishable by... 9 lashes with a wet noodle.

Yes, but will they get the lashes this Wednesday or next Wednesday?  With that level of ambiguity, the lashings might never happen.   :tongue_smilie:

The first thing that popped in my head would be 3 days from now.  But, I would verify either way. 

It's the first thing I thought, too. I just didn't verify--which is certainly my fault. No harm done, but slightly annoying.

It's linguistically ambiguous and should be struck from everyone's vocabulary, forever, punishable by... 9 lashes with a wet noodle.

:laugh:

See, I get that, and it makes good sense... But, "next" can just as easily mean "the next one that occurs" like it does when you say "next bus stop" or "next door neighbour".

It's a complete nonsense expression that communicates nothing solid. It must be crushed!

See, there's the question of when the week begins in here. If it begins on Monday, then saying "next Wednesday" on Sunday sounded like it was three days from now. If the week begins on Sunday, then "next Wednesday" is ten days from now.

Erm, maybe I'm overthinking it. Either way, I was wrong not to confirm.

Generally, I think it would be Wednesday of next week, but I'd clarify. 

On a related note, my mother would use the phrase "Wednesday week" to mean a week from Wednesday. NO one ever knew wtheck  she was talking about. So don't ever say that, unless you want to sound like my mother, and that is NOT a good thing. LOL

Why would they add the word 'next' if they meant 3 days from now? 'I'm seeing her Wednesday' or I'm seeing her this Wednesay' would mean the current week. Adding 'next' explicitly means NOT this week.

It makes sense to me that the next Wednesday is 3 days from now.

In that context, "next Wednesday" means next week.  IME if the person meant today, they would have said "this Wednesday".  But, I've encountered plenty of people who didn't use the terms that way, so I would double check.  ;)

I agree that if it's Sunday, THIS Wednesday would be 3 days from now and NEXT Wednesday 10 days.  DH goes by the school of thought that NEXT Wednesday is the next one occuring.  It still drives me nuts but I've learned to clarify events with him.

On a related note, my mother would use the phrase "Wednesday week" to mean a week from Wednesday. NO one ever knew wtheck  she was talking about. So don't ever say that, unless you want to sound like my mother, and that is NOT a good thing. LOL

Is that like DS19's "yesterday night"?

I have heard and understand "Wednesday week", meaning Wednesday of next week. I actually think it works very well to clarify what could otherwise be ambiguous, but I think the usage is more common in the UK than in the US--doesn't clarify anything if people aren't familiar with the expression. I don't use it for that reason, but I wish I could.

For ten days out I would say next Wednesday, and then I might add "Wednesday week" to clarify.

ETA:

I have heard and understand "Wednesday week", meaning Wednesday of next week. I actually think it works very well to clarify what could otherwise be ambiguous, but I think the usage is more common in the UK than in the US--doesn't clarify anything if people aren't familiar with the expression. I don't use it for that reason, but I wish I could.

I didn't know that was more common in the UK. I hear it a lot here in the South. Mostly from older people, so it's usage may be on its way out. Every time I've used it, though, it was understood.

My dc say that! I have never heard anyone else say it, and can't figure out why they do. Everyone we know says "last night". LOL

Glad it's not just mine then. I've never heard anyone else say that, but DS19 has said it his entire life and no amount of correction has made a difference.

See, there's the question of when the week begins in here. If it begins on Monday, then saying "next Wednesday" on Sunday sounded like it was three days from now. If the week begins on Sunday, then "next Wednesday" is ten days from now.

Erm, maybe I'm overthinking it. Either way, I was wrong not to confirm.

Unless you start your week on Wed, it doesn't matter which day your week starts. If the week started on Monday I'd still think this Wed. Was this week and next Wed. Would be a week+ away. If it were this week I would say "See you on Wed."

Glad it's not just mine then. I've never heard anyone else say that, but DS19 has said it his entire life and no amount of correction has made a difference.

That is so funny! I correct my dc all the time, and they will even repeat it after me, but "yesterday night" still prevails.

In that context, "next Wednesday" means next week.  IME if the person meant today, they would have said "this Wednesday".  But, I've encountered plenty of people who didn't use the terms that way, so I would double check.  ;)

This. I'm also often guilty of not really knowing quite what day it is, so I know I've misspoken based on that. Whenever anyone refers to a event schedule that way, I always clarify, just in case.