Menu

What do you call this type of notebook?

GinaPagnato

I need something that's divided into a bunch of squares or rectangles on each page so ds can contain his math problems in one square per problem. Otherwise, his huge, sloppy handwriting goes every which-way and he can't read his answers.  :glare:

I'm thinking 12 or less sections per page.

TIA!

Can't help you with the paper - its a good idea, however you probably need to work with him on neatness - if he can't read his answers he should do the problem again neatly, line his figures up until he does know what he has done and can read the answer.  Huge handwriting is not a problem, sloppy however is.

I would like to find something like this in notebook form, so that I don't have to print it off. I have looked high and low, and have been unable to find anything like that, even in specialty stores.

I had a little time today, and am learning how to use Zazzle for something else and thought this would be a handy practice project, so I made you one: http://www.zazzle.com/my_tidy_math_paper_notepad-133446412488095219. :) 

latin america uses quadrile paper for everything. our paper is just used for correspondance (letters). To all you who print their own. the secret is to print the 'squares' fainted in gray or blue or green. that way they are not a distraction. sometimes using the quadrile notebooks at staples leaves the math looking messy. so if your squaRes are blue, use black and red ink, etc.

another solution for filler 'math'paper here in the US is the green engeeniering paper. it is perfect as the lines are faint even for the use with pencil. quadrile still. very helpful. on phone now. but will try to scan all 3 to show later.

So here is the green engineering paper atached, then the other attachement is showing the latin paper with red border (faint 0.5 cm squares) compared to Staples Composition graph ruled notebook (dark blue lines)

It is a bummer that I can upload only 500KB! hmmm. I don't have another place to put these images.... hopefully you can see them.

post-35180-0-59697400-1373590022_thumb.jpg

post-35180-0-11376700-1373590323_thumb.jpg

The last picture does not show well, the gray lined paper is much lighter than the blue lined one...

I had a little time today, and am learning how to use Zazzle for something else and thought this would be a handy practice project, so I made you one: http://www.zazzle.com/my_tidy_math_paper_notepad-133446412488095219. :)

That's kinda cool.  So you just make something, and then you can post it for sale through Zazzle?  I'm not familiar with Zazzle, but that's a neat concept.

That's kinda cool.  So you just make something, and then you can post it for sale through Zazzle?  I'm not familiar with Zazzle, but that's a neat concept.

Well...you make a design, and then you can have it printed on lots of different types of products that Zazzle already has. They have all kinds of different products you can choose from, but you are limited to the products they stock. You make the design and specify how it should be lined up on the product and whatnot, and then you can post it for sale. The items are printed and shipped when they're ordered so you don't have to maintain any inventory or manage shipping. They send you checks periodically if anything sells, and a tax statement once a year. But the items are a bit more expensive because it's small-run jobs instead of bulk. 

They have notebooks, but they only print your design on the covers as far as I could tell. For the notepad they print the design on all the pages, which is why I picked that instead of a regular notebook, although it occurs to me that not having to "trip" over a spiral binding might be nice too. 

My other project is for our autism group. I'm designing some t-shirts and a couple of other things. We decided print on demand was a lot less less of a hassle than trying to take orders, collect money, price printers, take delivery, and try to track everyone down who put in an order. This way everyone who wants one can go order it, it's shipped to their house, and nobody has t-shirt headaches on top of trying to figure out what their autistic child is screaming about this time.

I would like to find something like this in notebook form, so that I don't have to print it off. I have looked high and low, and have been unable to find anything like that, even in specialty stores.

So I would take the PDF and either build a file of what you want - how many pages of each, then have that printed and bound at Staples/OfficeDepot/Max/Kinkos.

Or, you can print the copies you want, put them in order, then have it bound.

But Since it is what, 10 lessons then a test? You just want to put it all together that way. I used to do it for DD in a binder, but looking back I would spiral bind them for her to use daily.

Well...you make a design, and then you can have it printed on lots of different types of products that Zazzle already has. They have all kinds of different products you can choose from, but you are limited to the products they stock. You make the design and specify how it should be lined up on the product and whatnot, and then you can post it for sale. The items are printed and shipped when they're ordered so you don't have to maintain any inventory or manage shipping. They send you checks periodically if anything sells, and a tax statement once a year. But the items are a bit more expensive because it's small-run jobs instead of bulk. 

They have notebooks, but they only print your design on the covers as far as I could tell. For the notepad they print the design on all the pages, which is why I picked that instead of a regular notebook, although it occurs to me that not having to "trip" over a spiral binding might be nice too. 

My other project is for our autism group. I'm designing some t-shirts and a couple of other things. We decided print on demand was a lot less less of a hassle than trying to take orders, collect money, price printers, take delivery, and try to track everyone down who put in an order. This way everyone who wants one can go order it, it's shipped to their house, and nobody has t-shirt headaches on top of trying to figure out what their autistic child is screaming about this time.

So I would take the PDF and either build a file of what you want - how many pages of each, then have that printed and bound at Staples/OfficeDepot/Max/Kinkos.

Or, you can print the copies you want, put them in order, then have it bound.

But Since it is what, 10 lessons then a test? You just want to put it all together that way. I used to do it for DD in a binder, but looking back I would spiral bind them for her to use daily.

Just wanted to thank you both for explaining/sharing.

I probably would prefer spiral bound, but I hadn't thought about getting them bound and printed some place like Staples.  I have to do some cost comparisons. 

Honestly, our biggest problem with math last year (Saxon Pre-Algebra), was my son's slow learning curve using a notebook instead of a workbook.  He struggled (and I struggled!) with this all year long, and we about had it worked out when we were finishing up the year.  Maybe he's over that hump now.  We shall see.  But if not, I definitely need to have him use a product like you all have described.

Leigh Bortins suggest drawing two intersecting lines on your paper making four areas to work the problems. That would be a simple solution and the child can practice using a ruler.

We've had success just drawing one line down the center and using two columns and skipping lines between numbered problems.

If it were me, I'd probably pick a style I liked, put the file on a thumb drive, and take it to Staples. I'd have them print me 50 of 100 pages double sided (or whatever you think would be a good size for your situation) and spiral bind it. You can pick from different kinds of covers, or you could make your own personalized cover and take it with you. They do a good job there.