Menu

What should I put in a package to Australia?

mommylawyer

I have an online friend who lives in Australia. I'd like to send her some "uniquely American" items - candies, chocolate, maybe a magazine, a toy or two for her kids, etc. - but I'm not sure what is already available in Australia. I don't want to get something she can easily purchase. Any suggestions?

It's hard to say. American lollies and such are becoming more readily available, so unless she lives out woop woop (not in a city) she may have tried many. Chocolate is always a good thing though, in my opinion. :p Postcards and maps to put on the wall are good too.

I sent a bunch of candy to france for nieces/nephews. I looked for local items/specialties. But do remeber the heat right now.

I sent ghiraldi (sp?) choc(made in CA), some brach's candies they might never have seen, see's choc(another local place) and one of those enormous hershey bars. Does your area have a local speciality? Taffy or the like?

Many years ago, a friend in Perth wanted me to send her Kit Kats and Skittles because she'd heard of them and never eaten them.  It's been a while, though, so they might have them  now. I've been to Australia a couple of times and going into a candy store or convenience store wasn't much different than here except the candy stores always had Turkish Delight.  I happily tried it with great anticipation (being a Narnia fan) only to discover that the White Witch wouldn't have gotten me that way.

Yup we have skittles, Kit Kat, Starburst, etc. here in WA ;)

My dh says the Mars bars are different here (i'm allergic to choc so I don't know). So that might be fun to send for comparison. They are really strict on fruit, nuts, seeds, wood, animal fur/skins, and honey here in WA - can't even come in from other states.

Twizzlers.....do you have those or are they Canadian only. I love those things.

We have a few shops selling American candy now ( that hardly anyone buys after tasting it once because our candy is much better) :)

My kids ask for the rainbow goldfish crackers when my mum sends stuff over although I think they are vile.

Junk cereal might be good...we don't have any of your cereals and the kids might think they are fun. We wouldn't eat them for breakfast though....I've never eaten anything so loaded with sugar in my life...but the kids would like the novelty and eat them as a treat. Especially the ones with the little marshmallows in them.

Oh yeah...marshmallows...those big giant huge ones. We don't have ones like that and they actually taste better then the ones we have.

I wouldn't send any Hershey's...most Australians can't stand it...it tastes like low quality chocolate to us. I don't know how people can eat that stuff for a treat. It's nasty and we can get it here anyway.

People in the UK really like Lucky Charms and Captain Crunch as "American Presents" but stores selling them are opening all over this year. Reeses peanut butter cups and Butterscotch chips are a curiosity too.

Oh yeah...marshmallows...those big giant huge ones. We don't have ones like that and they actually taste better then the ones we have.

How big can marshmellows be? Mum used to buy huge ones, at least double the size of the normal ones at Franklins. Way back in the day...

Reeses peanut butter cups and Butterscotch chips are a curiosity too.

Butterscotch chips sound civilised, but it is beyond me why anyone eats those Reeses peanut butter cups. I wouldn't believe anyone liked them if I hadn't heard personal testimonies!

I tried the really big American marshmallows that Aldi had last week for American week. I thought they tasted awful. Sort of a cross between furniture foam and sponge. Dh reckons the Australian ones taste like Candies ( lollies) I tell him that is what they are. :001_cool:

We had the Aldi marshmallows too.  They tasted okay toasted, but raw they were a lot sweeter than the ones we get here normally - in addition to the sweetness in the marshmallow, there was a sugared texture on the outside.  I've no idea if this is the norm in America or if this is just what Aldi came up with.

L

Peanut butter M&Ms .  Yummy, and outrageously expensive and hard to find here.

Maple syrup is really expensive (we have a fake flavoured syrup for those too tight to pay for the good stuff).  And maple sugar is almost unheard of. I love it but its VERY sweet.

D

I don't know a huge number of things we can't get anymore (I am in NZ no Australia but we are usually behind). It used to be when I was reading American fiction there were heaps of things I didn't recognise now it is only over the counter medicines which aren't really appropriate. I was looking at snap circuits the other day and they are much cheaper here.

Eta. From my experiences working with Americans tastes regarding lollies are quite different.

How about trying to think of things that are original to your region of the country, even if they now distribute internationally.  For me that would mean:

Tastykakes from Philadelphia

Salt Water Taffy from the Jersey Shore

Pretzels from Pennsylvania Dutch

Campbell's Tomato Soup from Camden (with Pepperidge Farms Goldfish and/or instructions on how to make a grilled-cheese sandwich)

Hershey's Kisses from Central PA

Apple Butter from a local Orchard

How about trying to think of things that are original to your region of the country, even if they now distribute internationally.  For me that would mean:

Tastykakes from Philadelphia

Salt Water Taffy from the Jersey Shore

Pretzels from Pennsylvania Dutch

Campbell's Tomato Soup from Camden (with Pepperidge Farms Goldfish and/or instructions on how to make a grilled-cheese sandwich)

Hershey's Kisses from Central PA

Apple Butter from a local Orchard

Careful sending some of these things. Non-commercial foods like apple butter will  be seized by customs.

Well, when I was there, nobody had heard of marshmallow fluff, so that was fun to send.  They also aren't big on cinnamon gum, if I recall.  Peanut butter products as well.

Now, when my friends in Oz send me packages, I get Violet Crumbles, Cherry Ripes, Freddo frogs, vegemite (which my dh loves, but I can barely stomach), Milo, TimTams, thirst and musk Lifesavers, and musk sticks (which my oldest son loves...I can't eat perfume flavored food).  I also have gotten fun keychains, t-shirts (skivvies), hats, pins, postcards, CDs of Aussie artists and folk music, etc.

Now I'm craving a Cherry Ripe.  Dang it.  :D

I've always wondered just what a graham cracker is.  And a goldfish cracker.  

And what you call biscuits do not look like what I call biscuits.  

And I like boxes filled with Laffy Taffy.  My children are always very happy to receive American cereal (candy) for treats, and the gluten free snickerdoodles from trader joes were a huge hit.  

Violet crumbles.  Yum!  I loved those when I was in OZ years ago.  Haven't thought of them in ages.

For food items, I remember taking Jolly Ranchers and beignet mix.  I took lots of non-food items too, but they were particular requests.  For example, I took a ton of embroidery floss since it is so cheap here and freezer paper (they didn't have it there at the time).

I can't remember when we didn't have kit kats and skittles. Those Western Australians must be so backward. :p (She says, because it is almost inevitable one or two will read this. :D )

Well, it was a long time ago. I'm 61 and I was younger then...

However, upon reading your comment about W.A., I guess that you must be a Vic. :-} Been there, too. I love Australia and Australians. I considered immigrating there when I was young - but then I met my current husband.