Menu

Running advice for kids

I am not a runner, I like to walk. I have exercise induced asthma and running makes me want to pass out. :glare: I might get there some day, but I don't want to hold my ds back.

However, my ds needs some training. He's 10 and interested in joining the miltary at this point so I'd like to introduce him to running.

We have a great circle in our neighborhood that is about 1 mile around, mostly flat.

So how can I train this child? Do I need to start him off slowly, pay attention to his form? He has good running shoes and no health problems.

What should I expect out of him?

Thanks.

Well, I'm no professional,:) but with my kids, we had to teach them about pace. They tended to just run---really hard and fast until they couldn't go another step--and then stop to catch their breath, and start again. They had to learn how to run "evenly." My DS also tended to land flat on his feet instead of rolling through his heel to his toe.

Good luck and have fun!

Learning to breathe correctly helps. Breathing in slowly and exhaling slowly, instead of clenching teeth then gasping for air....

This great EL! I hope this works out well for him! Having a mile loop that is mostly flat is a great starting place!

Has he been walking with you? If not, that might be where I'd start. Have him walk a brisk pace with you. When he can do that well, then he'd be more ready to start the jogging/running.

Learning to breathe correctly helps. Breathing in slowly and exhaling slowly, instead of clenching teeth then gasping for air....

This great EL! I hope this works out well for him! Having a mile loop that is mostly flat is a great starting place!

Has he been walking with you? If not, that might be where I'd start. Have him walk a brisk pace with you. When he can do that well, then he'd be more ready to start the jogging/running.

Yes, he does walk with me. We haven't been in a while, it has been so hot. but I'm running out of excuses. :glare: I have short legs and so we walk almost at the same pace.

Well, I'm no professional,:) but with my kids, we had to teach them about pace. They tended to just run---really hard and fast until they couldn't go another step--and then stop to catch their breath, and start again. They had to learn how to run "evenly." My DS also tended to land flat on his feet instead of rolling through his heel to his toe.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks, that is so helpful. He will run full tilt and I had forgotten about rolling the feet. :grouphug:

Hey, it's funny you should ask this. I was just reading an article in the newspaper about kids and triathlons. They said it was becoming popular with kids. Anyway, they had a 6 week training schedule that didn't look overwhelming at all. Here it is: S=Swimming, B=Biking, R=Running (so S10 would be swim for 10 min)

Week 1

Mon: S10

Tues: Rest

Wed: B15

Thurs Rest

Frie R10

Sat. Rest

Sun. Rest

Week 2

M=S10

T=S5, B5

W=Rest

Th=R15

S=Rest

Su=Rest

Week 3

M=S15

T=Rest

W=B10, R10

Th=Rest

Fri=Rest

S=B15

Su=Rest

Week 4

M=S10, B5

T=Rest

W=B20

Th=Rest

F=Rest

S=R15

Su=Rest

Week 5

M=S10, B5

T=Rest

W=Rest

Th=B10, R5

F=Rest

S=R5

Su=Rest

Week 6

M=S5

T=Rest

W=S5, B5, R5

T=Rest

F=R10

S=Rest

Su=Rest

If you don't want to do the biking and swimming, maybe you can adjust it for just running. Kids as young as 10 were doing the triathlons.

I haven't used this site but you may find it helpful: http://www.kidsrunning.com/

Also, runners world has a kids running guide with links to all sorts of info.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--11828-0,00.html

Hey, it's funny you should ask this. I was just reading an article in the newspaper about kids and triathlons. They said it was becoming popular with kids. Anyway, they had a 6 week training schedule that didn't look overwhelming at all. Here it is: S=Swimming, B=Biking, R=Running (so S10 would be swim for 10 min)

Week 1

Mon: S10

Tues: Rest

Wed: B15

Thurs Rest

Frie R10

Sat. Rest

Sun. Rest

Week 2

M=S10

T=S5, B5

W=Rest

Th=R15

S=Rest

Su=Rest

Week 3

M=S15

T=Rest

W=B10, R10

Th=Rest

Fri=Rest

S=B15

Su=Rest

Week 4

M=S10, B5

T=Rest

W=B20

Th=Rest

F=Rest

S=R15

Su=Rest

Week 5

M=S10, B5

T=Rest

W=Rest

Th=B10, R5

F=Rest

S=R5

Su=Rest

Week 6

M=S5

T=Rest

W=S5, B5, R5

T=Rest

F=R10

S=Rest

Su=Rest

If you don't want to do the biking and swimming, maybe you can adjust it for just running. Kids as young as 10 were doing the triathlons.

I haven't used this site but you may find it helpful: http://www.kidsrunning.com/

Also, runners world has a kids running guide with links to all sorts of info.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--11828-0,00.html

Wow, that is awesome. We don't have access to swimming, but the biking would be doable.

My subject line kinda sums it up, I guess. Is your son in decent shape? If so, then I can't imagine running a mile or two will be difficult for him. My guys don't do any training and they don't have trouble running in races. I do have to remind my own 10 yo to pace himself. When he runs a 5K, for example, he often goes out too fast. The he tires and lapses into short, quick breathing, leading to a sideache ~ at which point he stops to walk for bit. So do remind your son that running and sprinting are not one and the same, and that a quick, short breathing pattern should be avoided.

Haven't read what others have posted yet...so this may have already been said...LOL

10 things I can remember my track coach INSISTING on...in no particular order...:D

1. NEVER jog...run or walk only....he said jogging was hard on the body and thus a major factor for excercise related injuries.

2. ALWAYS stretch before AND after you run.

3. Never collapse after running...no matter how exhausted you are....walk it off and then do your stretches.

4. The heal of your foot should NEVER touch the ground when you are running....practice running on your tip toes to get into the habit if need be.

5. Don't forget to breath....through your nose and deeply...it will increase your endurance and help to prevent muscle camps and fatigue.

6. Wear good running shoes...that does NOT mean they need to cost a fortune...it just means they need to be the correct size and fit snuggly and offer good flexibility to the foot.

7. Drink plenty of water and get plenty of good sleep....he would seriously read us the riot act if we looked tired and/or forgot our water bottles. LOL

8. He encouraged us to get leg weights to wear whenever we ran...except, of course, during a race....

9. Only run where it is safe to do so....when it is safe to do so...and, if you are going to run near/on a road...NEVER wear earphones.

10. Run for the love of running...and you can't go wrong! :001_smile:

*sigh* remembering all this sure does bring back memories....I *LOVED* running...and I *LOVED* that particular coach...Mr. Delfel was his name... of all the mistakes I can regret in my life.....my choice to quit track is one of only 2 that I really wish I could go back in time to change....:crying:

My subject line kinda sums it up, I guess. Is your son in decent shape? If so, then I can't imagine running a mile or two will be difficult for him. My guys don't do any training and they don't have trouble running in races. I do have to remind my own 10 yo to pace himself. When he runs a 5K, for example, he often goes out too fast. The he tires and lapses into short, quick breathing, leading to a sideache ~ at which point he stops to walk for bit. So do remind your son that running and sprinting are not one and the same, and that a quick, short breathing pattern should be avoided.

Thanks for the reminder on the breathing. He is in good shape and I want to keep it that way as he heads towards puberty. We've been a tad too sedentary this summer.

Haven't read what others have posted yet...so this may have already been said...LOL

10 things I can remember my track coach INSISTING on...in no particular order...:D

1. NEVER jog...run or walk only....he said jogging was hard on the body and thus a major factor for excercise related injuries.

3. Never collapse after running...no matter how exhausted you are....walk it off and then do your stretches.

4. The heal of your foot should NEVER touch the ground when you are running....practice running on your tip toes to get into the habit if need be.

5. Don't forget to breath....through your nose and deeply...it will increase your endurance and help to prevent muscle camps and fatigue.

6. Wear good running shoes...that does NOT mean they need to cost a fortune...it just means they need to be the correct size and fit snuggly and offer good flexibility to the foot.

7. Drink plenty of water and get plenty of good sleep....he would seriously read us the riot act if we looked tired and/or forgot our water bottles. LOL

8. He encouraged us to get leg weights to wear whenever we ran...except, of course, during a race....

9. Only run where it is safe to do so....when it is safe to do so...and, if you are going to run near/on a road...NEVER wear earphones.

*sigh* remembering all this sure does bring back memories....I *LOVED* running...and I *LOVED* that particular coach...Mr. Delfel was his name... of all the mistakes I can regret in my life.....my choice to quit track is one of only 2 that I really wish I could go back in time to change....:crying:

Thanks, I'm printing those off. He just grew into his good running shoes so we're good there. He got home, so we'll discuss all of this over dinner.

What should I expect out of him?

Thanks.

About that....in my opinion...I would try not to expect anything from him. Running, as with other solitary sports, is one of those things that people generally do because they love to do it. I would urge you to mostly keep a step back and offer encouragement without expectation. Encourage him to make goals for himself... A common goal, for example, is a 5 minute mile....and it will most likely take him quite awhile to achieve that goal...IF EVER. So have him run the mile...at whatever pace he needs to...including walking some of it if he needs to. And time him that first time....then set a short term goal...like taking a minute off his time...or whatever. And *DO* help him with his form and pace. Tell him to run at a slow pace at first...and then slowly work up to a faster pace....and like I said in my other post....he needs to remember to stay on the balls of his feet... his ankles, shins, knees, hips and lower back will thank him for it! LOL Oh, and something I didn't mention before...but just remembered....have him keep his arms bent and pumping when he runs....but loose...not clench fisted...as relaxed as possible...and when sprinting he can point his fingers forward and straight out and USE them to propel himself forward....still avoiding the urge to clench them...this is a mistake many new runners make...and they create a habit that is very hard for them to break...Gosh, I hope this helps....it has taken me forever to right this post with my kiddos constantly interrupting....:lol:

I strongly disagree with 5 out of 10 of these things! LOL

About that....in my opinion...I would try not to expect anything from him. Running, as with other solitary sports, is one of those things that people generally do because they love to do it. I would urge you to mostly keep a step back and offer encouragement without expectation. Encourage him to make goals for himself... A common goal, for example, is a 5 minute mile....and it will most likely take him quite awhile to achieve that goal...IF EVER. So have him run the mile...at whatever pace he needs to...including walking some of it if he needs to. And time him that first time....then set a short term goal...like taking a minute off his time...or whatever. And *DO* help him with his form and pace. Tell him to run at a slow pace at first...and then slowly work up to a faster pace....and like I said in my other post....he needs to remember to stay on the balls of his feet... his ankles, shins, knees, hips and lower back will thank him for it! LOL Oh, and something I didn't mention before...but just remembered....have him keep his arms bent and pumping when he runs....but loose...not clench fisted...as relaxed as possible...and when sprinting he can point his fingers forward and straight out and USE them to propel himself forward....still avoiding the urge to clench them...this is a mistake many new runners make...and they create a habit that is very hard for them to break...Gosh, I hope this helps....it has taken me forever to right this post with my kiddos constantly interrupting....:lol:

Okay, now I'm taking your advice as well.

Well, since you asked LOL....

Some runners consider jogging the "J" word.....you're not a real runner if you aren't going at a certain pace. I disagree. You've got to crawl before you can walk; some (most) runners start at a pace that is comfortable for them. If that's a jog, so be it. It's perfectly fine and acceptable and reasonable and safe.

Stretching while your muscles are "cold" can lead to injuries. It's better to (ahem) jog for walk for a few minutes then stretch and start your run. I agree with stretching after a run. :D

I agree with this if you're training for sprinting; otherwise, no. dh was a sprinter in high school (held the school record for years! but I digress. LOL), and he just naturally ran on the balls of his feet/toes. Road running/distance running, etc. is different. Your foot should roll from back to front in a natural motion (and it does for most people, just naturally).

Breathing just through your nose won't deliver the oxygen like breathing through your mouth. Granted, you shouldn't be gasping for air. If you find yourself gasping, you're pushing too hard and should definitely slow down (jog?! ;) ).

Again, if you're a sprinter, I can see where this would be a good part of your training, but for a beginning runner, leg weights would just be an added stress/strain on your joints and muscles. It's not necessary and probably not a good idea for most beginning runners.

So there you have it. As with most things around here, it's just my opinion ;)

Well, since you asked LOL....

Some runners consider jogging the "J" word.....you're not a real runner if you aren't going at a certain pace. I disagree. You've got to crawl before you can walk; some (most) runners start at a pace that is comfortable for them. If that's a jog, so be it. It's perfectly fine and acceptable and reasonable and safe.

I disagree though....I don't think has anything to do with an elitist attitude about running...it *IS* bad for joints....I've not ever heard a sports authority state otherwise...

Stretching while your muscles are "cold" can lead to injuries. It's better to (ahem) jog for walk for a few minutes then stretch and start your run. I agree with stretching after a run. :D

I disagree with this as well...well I disagree with you disagreeing with me. :lol: I think stretching before hand DOES warm up the muscles...but that walking (not jogging ;)) would be a fine way to warm them up prior to running.

I agree with this if you're training for sprinting; otherwise, no. dh was a sprinter in high school (held the school record for years! but I digress. LOL), and he just naturally ran on the balls of his feet/toes. Road running/distance running, etc. is different. Your foot should roll from back to front in a natural motion (and it does for most people, just naturally).

I was a sprinter...though I also ran the mile...but never any further than that....and we didn't have a cross-country team...so maybe that played a part of it. :D

Breathing just through your nose won't deliver the oxygen like breathing through your mouth. Granted, you shouldn't be gasping for air. If you find yourself gasping, you're pushing too hard and should definitely slow down (jog?! ;) ).

I was told that breathing through the nose was both more natural for most people and that it provided a more measured amount of oxygen...and, as a personal thought....it would also prevent the accidental consumption of bugs...:lol:

Again, if you're a sprinter, I can see where this would be a good part of your training, but for a beginning runner, leg weights would just be an added stress/strain on your joints and muscles. It's not necessary and probably not a good idea for most beginning runners.

Like I said above...I was a sprinter...AND it WAS a long time ago....and it is entirely possible that it is an outdated piece of advice.

So there you have it. As with most things around here, it's just my opinion ;)

JMO, too, of course!:D

My 13yo dd wanted to start running to be in better shape for soccer this fall.

Our pastor's daughter is a gym teacher and soccer coach at our local high school. Her advice to dd was to run for the distance over 2 telephone poles and walk for 1 the first week. The next week, run for 3 poles and walk for 1.

Imo, this is a very practical plan for building endurance and dd found it very successful.

HTH!