Menu

Why are we fat? (I mainly mean Americans, but anyone can postulate.)

Ginevra

American Obesity  

341 members have voted

1. 1. Which factors do you believe are responsible for American obesity?

• Most Americans eat too much (quantity).
    • Most Americans eat too much (calories, empty foods, junk).
    • Typical Americans do not exercise at all or enough.
    • Many Americans are fruitlessly following bad dietary advice.
    • GMO foods are not regulated in America and this is a culprit.
    • Americans eat too much fat.
    • Americans eat too many carbohydrates or simple sugars.
    • Many Americans are just genetically large; they are not actually "overweight."
    • Something else.
  2. 2. If you are American, how do you describe yourself?

• Fit; not overweight at all
    • A little chubby, but acceptable to me.
    • Needing to get in shape, for sure.
    • Frustrated: tried repeatedly, but can't make any headway.
    • Overcame fat and am now fit.
    • Something else.
  3. 3. Do you exercise and/or follow a particular eating plan?

• Yes, I exercise.
    • Yes, I follow a particular eating plan (Atkins, LFHC, WW, something else).
    • No, I don't usually exercise on purpose.
    • No, I don't follow any particular eating plan.
    • I generally have good eating habits.
    • I generally eat in a way I believe is not very healthy.
    • Something else.

I remember being told in school that pizza was extremely healthy because it covers 3 (4 if a meat pizza) food groups. I also remember being told that potatoes and corn were vegetables. Even if served as french fries or corn bread. I don't assume the schools or WIC or any other government body has any clue about nutrition. Given all the conflicting info out there, I can understand why someone might be confused and frustrated on the subject of nutrition.

I was told the same. Oh and ketchup was a vegetable.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know though, I find the only "compromises" when eating out are salads.  I like salad, but I can't imagine eating only salads day after day.  I wouldn't care for that.

Well, of course that depends on what your eating philosophy is and what you are taking off your personal menu. For myself, the only compromise would not be salads. I could go to the deli counter and order a mess of steamed shrimp. It would be an acceptable meal and would fit with my fitness goals as long as I didn't dip it in sweet sauce.

A few days ago, I made vegetable beef soup because I have produce out the wazoo. DH took that in a thermos for his lunch today. He works construction, so his lunches always have to be totally portable. Obviously, it did take some time to make it from scratch, so I understand that not being much of an option for someone with an extremely hectic outside-the-home schedule. Yet, it didn't take an *enormous* amount of time and effort and we're eating off that one hour or so of effort all week.

A quick Google search turned up lists and links for "Restaurant options for low-carb dieting." Alphabetically by chain - what can you order at Applebees, what can you pick up at Arby's and so on. Low-carb is only one philosophy, but I would wager there are similar lists for other needs.

I'm not trying to minimize the difficulty of eating according to specific principles if you are on-the-run and can't afford a lot of time and planning at home. This is a problem, for sure. Our culture supports crappy eating and it takes some searching to skirt that issue. What I'm saying is that anything worth doing is hardly ever easy. Eating well when surrounded by junk takes special effort, but I believe it is worth doing.

For myself, it's not even the mental image of an enviable flat belly that keeps me putting in the effort. It's watching my parents' health decline. They have "lifestyle" illnesses and I know it would not be hard for me to end up there. I am physiologically most like my father, who is now diabetic. Diabetes scares the HECK out of me! If I can avoid developing it, I can bypass the baguette if need be, kwim?

Chips are also a substitute for a vegetable side.  

I remember a dietitian coming to school to do demonstrations on how to make healthy snacks.  She mixed crushed frosted flakes with peanut butter and filled that into a hollowed out apple.

Oh and I meant to say - that is revolting. Are you sure that wasn't a birdfeeder project? ;)

My challenge with eating out low carb/high fat is usually getting enough fat (if this is not a steak or burger restaurant) Not a problem for one random meal, but vacation can be a little tricky. I pack a lot of almonds for emergencies though low blood sugar moments are a thing of the past as long as I'm careful not to eat too many carbs.

I eat salads of course but they are not super relevant for me unless they contain stuff higher in carbs than I would like or are huge. Energy comes from carbs or fat and I choose fat (that may sound funny but I am serious)

Speaking of low carb, the options are usually, scrape half of what is on there off and throw it out.  Completely stupid.  Or order the steak or salad.  That's it.

I'm just thinking about the typical restaurants around here.  If I go to the Chinese buffet, for example, they have tons of stuff, but they pay the least amount of attention to the stuff like the veggies or salad.  The salad is iceberg lettuce with some under ripened tomatoes.  Subway is another dumb place for salads.  They can make anything into a salad.  I've ordered it, it's gross as a salad.  It really is a lot about the bread there.

I don't go out to eat much, but ya know, it's nice once in awhile.  I have yet to find an awesome place with great food that isn't all about the carbs. 

What keeps me on track is eating food that I love the taste of.  If I'm being honest.  And I can make some very awesome tasting food.  But I don't only spend my time making food.  And sometimes I like to leave the house.  So the rest of my life doesn't contain tasty food!  LOL

Do you have an Alladin's near you?

As for Chinese, I go for the fruit and the broccoli dishes.  I do eat rice, so that makes Chinese easier for me.  I don't do Chinese often, though; not enough bang for the buck.  (I refuse to gorge just because it's all-you-can-eat.  Unlike some of my friends . . . .)

Fast food dining on whole 30?

Yeah. No. Forget it.

But mid range restaurants? Very doable.

Sides of sweet potato, veggies, salad

Entree of steak, fish, shrimp, seafood.

Chicken isn't an option usually bc it's done in sauces and such more often.

The rest tho? Very doable.

I don't know what you consider mid range. I'm thinking something like Ruby Tuesday.

Panera has their secret menu which I thought tasty

Texas Roadhouse and outback have sweet potatoes and you can ask them to hold sauces/dressings.

Red Robin royal burger lettuce wrapped with avocado and steamed broccoli.

Ridge Creat Grill - awesome. All of it. I'm not sure it's a chain tho.

Can't think of others at the moment. I'll have to ask my dh.

We have one of those places.  My problem is I can't eat onions.  It's probably impossible to get something without onions.

Yes, I am a pain.  LOL

No, you gotta go there and check it out.  It's kinda like Subway in that you tell them each and every "ingredient" that you want and they make it with you watching.  I mean, maybe some of the stuff has onions but none of the stuff I get does.  I never get the salsa - it's spicy enough without.  I get sour cream instead.  :)

Another thing I've noticed is how many doctors and nurses are obese.  Why is that?  Certainly not a lack of knowledge of how that happens.

My FIL was a geriatric psychiatrist who provided end of life care mostly to mentally ill people who were dying, most often somewhat prematurely of alcohol and tobacco related causes.  Dude died prematurely of alcohol and tobacco related causes after years of using alcohol to self medicate his mental health issues.  People do what people do.  

As hard as it is to believe, MDs generally take little to no serious coursework in nutrition.  Even if they did, people do what people do.  I think a lot of medical professionals work long hours and take care of themselves last.  

My FIL was a geriatric psychiatrist who provided end of life care mostly to mentally ill people who were dying, most often somewhat prematurely of alcohol and tobacco related causes. Dude died prematurely of alcohol and tobacco related causes after years of using alcohol to self medicate his mental health issues. People do what people do.

As hard as it is to believe, MDs generally take little to no serious coursework in nutrition. Even if they did, people do what people do. I think a lot of medical professionals work long hours and take care of themselves last.

We need a bit of irony in life. I've never seen bigger smokers than nurses and Whole Foods employees.

No, you gotta go there and check it out.  It's kinda like Subway in that you tell them each and every "ingredient" that you want and they make it with you watching.  I mean, maybe some of the stuff has onions but none of the stuff I get does.  I never get the salsa - it's spicy enough without.  I get sour cream instead.  :)

These Chipotle posts are really making me want to eat there lol... 

Luckily (or not so luckily, depending on how you look at it...) the closest one is 45 minutes away.  Oh, well.  ;)

I actually get both the corn salsa and the medium salsa on mine.  Delish!  (No such thing as too spicy ;) :D )

What are those doing in a *German* restaurant? Neither jalapenos nor buffalo occur in Germany.This definitely, yes!

LOL A true German makes the most of what they have. Which means the large population of German settlers here made do with buffalo, and eventually jalapeños. ;)

You can get more traditional meats too, but I prefer the leaner in season game. When he can't get those, I make do with chicken.

My FIL was a geriatric psychiatrist who provided end of life care mostly to mentally ill people who were dying, most often somewhat prematurely of alcohol and tobacco related causes.  Dude died prematurely of alcohol and tobacco related causes after years of using alcohol to self medicate his mental health issues.  People do what people do.  

As hard as it is to believe, MDs generally take little to no serious coursework in nutrition.  Even if they did, people do what people do.  I think a lot of medical professionals work long hours and take care of themselves last.  

They generally have little to no coursework in substance abuse. And substance abuse, or substance abuse related issues account for a SIGNIFICANT number of medical events.

Veggies can be steamed, boiled, roasted, grilled and eaten raw. If you have a steamer pot to go over a rather large pot of water you can boil washed cubed and unpeeled potatoes, put the steamer on top and add the green beans. Put a lid on that. When the potatoes are done mash them and salt the green beans. I have pretty bad osteoarthritis and haven't peeled a potato in a decade or more.

I don't peel potatoes anymore, either. I used to until I learned that there's a lot of nutrients in the peel. I decided I was only peeling because that's what my mom did, but it's not necessary. I do scrub them first, though. I keep a little veggie brush by the sink just for that purpose. (Well, potatoes and any other produce that needs scrubbing.) ALWAYS at least rinse your produce, if not a good scrubbing.