Menu

Outlander fans - Sam Heughan up for "Jamie"

bobbeym

Diana posted on her FB page yesterday that Sam Heughan is in the lead to be cast as Jamie in the upcoming Outlander cable series.  I thought I'd share the news.   

He's 6'3", Scottish, and a triathlete. According to Diana, who admits she watched his audition tapes several times, "He showed up and he _was_ Jamie."   She can't confirm contracts are signed yet, but he's her top pick and apparently they've been chatting since he's authorized her to share his photos with her fans.  

In other Outlander news, I just went to check on the release date of the next book.  Last time I looked it was in December.  Well, now they've pushed it back to MARCH!  

They pushed it back to tie it into the release of the TV series.

I'm only slightly upset b/c this means that I have time to make it through all 7 books before 8 comes out. I'm just now starting 5 on audio.

In other Outlander news, I just went to check on the release date of the next book.  Last time I looked it was in December.  Well, now they've pushed it back to MARCH!  

WHAT???  NO, no, no nonononono.

Crud.

That's not my Jamie. I don't like those eyes. Jamie's eyes are golden brown (or at least to me) and I always pictured Jamie as very attractive, but in a more masculine sense, rather than classically handsome.

Jamie's eyes are blue.  That's where Brianna gets her blue eyes from.  If I remember right, Claire's eyes are brown.

There has been a lot of buzz on the interwebs about this guy being too pretty, but I'm going with Diana on this one.  If she says that he _is_ Jamie, then he is. From what I understand, Sam is 6'3", and I think Jamie is described as about 6'4".  Also, Jamie is not a big burly man like a football player or wrestler.  Diana has described him as more of a basketball player in build.  And, we have to remember, that when the book begins, Jamie is 22, a virgin, and in rrreeaaalllyyy rough shape from his wound from the ax that he was recovering from in France (hence short hair at first, it grows out later), the hard ride from the coast, and also now has a bullet wound in his shoulder.  All these things costuming and makeup are going to have to address.

I'm super excited about the series, especially with Ron Moore at the helm.  I never thought it would make a good movie, as there is just too much that would have to be cut from the story.  This way, we can have Jamie and Claire for many years to come!

Quote from Diana Gabaldon:

"Of course Jamie doesn't weigh three hundred pounds--what silliness. A stone is 14 pounds. In the _only_ place in the books where weight is mentioned at all, Claire says she weighs about nine stone, and Jamie says he weighs about sixteen stone. Third-grade math should be enough right there to indicate that he doesn't weigh 300 pounds. But if you do the (extremely simple, even without a calculator--and who doesn't have one these days?) multiplication, you'll see that Claire weighs 126 pounds, and Jamie 224. Which on a man of 6'4", is NOT huge, burly, beefy, or any of the other stupid adjectives I see routinely applied to him.

The man does _not_ look like a WWE wrestler. Period.

(Hope I don't sound crabby; it's way early in the morning. <g>)

--Diana"

ETA:  Sorry, not a bullet wound, but a dislocated shoulder.  The wound I'm thinking of is later, and is from being stabbed from a bayonet.

:iagree:  with Michele.  

Diana has said over and over that Jamie is big but not bulky.  Claire doesn't describe him as bulky when she meets him either, and at first thinks him to be younger than he is.  Sam certainly wouldn't have been my first choice, but Diana's known Jamie for 25 years. Since I'm sure she knows him much better than anyone else, if she says Sam is Jamie, then I'll take her word for it.

I'm really curious to see who they end up casting as Claire. I hope whoever she is has real chemistry with Sam.

:iagree:  with Michele.  

Diana has said over and over that Jamie is big but not bulky.  Claire doesn't describe him as bulky when she meets him either, and at first thinks him to be younger than he is.  Sam certainly wouldn't have been my first choice, but Diana's known Jamie for 25 years. Since I'm sure she knows him much better than anyone else, if she says Sam is Jamie, then I'll take her word for it.

I'm really curious to see who they end up casting as Claire. I hope whoever she is has real chemistry with Sam.

I can't wait to see who they get for Claire, either.  Especially with her being quite a few years older than Jamie.

There was a discussion about Sam's age that I was reading, and I found it interesting, and a little hopeful.  Sam is around 33, but passes for much younger.  If he is cast in the role, there is a huge possibility that he will have it the entire length of the series (there in lies the hope! lol).  As the years go by, he will naturally be getting older, and it will be easy for costuming/make-up/hair to make him look older.  If this is the case, it is an excellent casting by the casting company.

On Diana's FB page, she was talking a little about the audition tapes she saw.  One was the scene in the pub when Dougal reveals Jamie's scars, and the other one from when he had to "discipline" Claire for endangering all the men.  I wish I could see them!!!  LOL  She said that Sam was Jamie in real life.  He acted it perfectly.  She said he even does the shoulder shrug!  I can't wait for spring.  *sigh*  LOL

Oh, and that picture of him pointing to his red hair came out after there was so much griping about him not being a red-head.  If he did that to show that he can be a red-head, and I think he did or else why be pointing at it, then I think he has a great sense of humor.  I hope he knows what he's getting himself into.  Twilight?  Ppfft.  Jamie and Claire eat Edward and Bella for lunch.  LOL

All right, fine. :) but in my reality they've always been brown. I don't care what the books says! ;)

LOL  In my mind's eye, Jamie looks like my husband.  :)  He's about as far away from blue eyes and red hair as you can get (brown eyes, dark brown hair, dark complexion).  LOL

I can't wait to see who they get for Claire, either.  Especially with her being quite a few years older than Jamie.

There was a discussion about Sam's age that I was reading, and I found it interesting, and a little hopeful.  Sam is around 33, but passes for much younger.  If he is cast in the role, there is a huge possibility that he will have it the entire length of the series (there in lies the hope! lol).  As the years go by, he will naturally be getting older, and it will be easy for costuming/make-up/hair to make him look older.  If this is the case, it is an excellent casting by the casting company.

On Diana's FB page, she was talking a little about the audition tapes she saw.  One was the scene in the pub when Dougal reveals Jamie's scars, and the other one from when he had to "discipline" Claire for endangering all the men.  I wish I could see them!!!  LOL  She said that Sam was Jamie in real life.  He acted it perfectly.  She said he even does the shoulder shrug!  I can't wait for spring.  *sigh*  LOL

I was surprised to find out he was 33; I would have guessed mid-20s.  It's good that he'll age with the character, but there is so much they can do with makeup these days that I'm not overly concerned about it.  I suspect that even in his 50s Jamie probably still looks a little on the younger side.

Oh yes, I too would LOVE to see those audition tapes! I think I remember Diana saying she'd see what she could do about getting them released. Maybe once the contract is signed and it's official?  I am glad they picked emotionally-charged scenes for the audition reading though.  I know no fan will ever be 100% happy with the series, but it looks like they're trying to make it be the best they can and do the books justice.

I wonder if Sam has started reading the book yet to get a better feel for the role?

Oh, and that picture of him pointing to his red hair came out after there was so much griping about him not being a red-head.  If he did that to show that he can be a red-head, and I think he did or else why be pointing at it, then I think he has a great sense of humor.  I hope he knows what he's getting himself into.  Twilight?  Ppfft.  Jamie and Claire eat Edward and Bella for lunch.  LOL

I read that the pic of Sam with red hair was taken in 2012 and he sent it to Diana at her request, when everyone was fussing about how he needed to be a redhead.   She has said a couple times that he seems to be good natured about the sudden increase in attention he's getting.  

:lol:  at the bolded.  I completely agree with that!

A TV SERIES?  How did I not know about this?  It had better be on Netflix pronto!

I wouldn't hold your breath for that.  I don't think Netflix ever renewed their contract with STARZ, so you'll probably have to look for it elsewhere. 

I still have to convince DH that we have to reinvest in cable just so I'll be able to see it.

I read that the pic of Sam with red hair was taken in 2012 and he sent it to Diana at her request, when everyone was fussing about how he needed to be a redhead. She has said a couple times that he seems to be good natured about the sudden increase in attention he's getting.

:lol: at the bolded. I completely agree with that!

I'm not sure when the pic was taken, I had just read a comment on the pic on Facebook from a fan asking if he did it in response to the complaints. Diana responded that he has a great sense of humor, so I thought perhaps he did change it as a "See? It's red now!" But either way, it shows that hair color is not worth getting in a huff about. (Referring to those who are complaining about hair color.)

The more I think on it, the more I'm happy with the decision. If he does end up being cast, I think once people see him in full costume, and hear him speak, well, uhem. Yeah. *fans self*

Have you heard him in full Scottish brouge? Sooo dreamy. He did a spot for Scotland tourism. I could listen to it all day. *sigh* I'm on my phone right now, but I'll try to post a link to it later.

I wouldn't hold your breath for that. I don't think Netflix ever renewed their contract with STARZ, so you'll probably have to look for it elsewhere.

I still have to convince DH that we have to reinvest in cable just so I'll be able to see it.

Me, too! Lol We haven't had cable for about four years, but if I can't buy the season pass on Amazon, we are going to have a fight, I mean, discussion. ;)

I'm not sure when the pic was taken, I had just read a comment on the pic on Facebook from a fan asking if he did it in response to the complaints. Diana responded that he has a great sense of humor, so I thought perhaps he did change it as a "See? It's red now!" But either way, it shows that hair color is not worth getting in a huff about. (Referring to those who are complaining about hair color.)

The more I think on it, the more I'm happy with the decision. If he does end up being cast, I think once people see him in full costume, and hear him speak, well, uhem. Yeah. *fans self*

Have you heard him in full Scottish brouge? Sooo dreamy. He did a spot for Scotland tourism. I could listen to it all day. *sigh* I'm on my phone right now, but I'll try to post a link to it later.

Umm, I think her response about his sense of humor whas in response to her request for a photo of him with red hair.  He's currently in the Artic Circle filming, so I don't think he dyed it red just for us.

OMG, yes. I listened to the clip DG posted on FB and then linked to some others on youtube.  :svengo: David Tennant might have some serious competition for my fan-affection coming up.

DH just rolls his eyes at me b/c he knows I have a thing for Scotsmen.  I tell him I can't help it; it's in my blood! :laugh:

ETA:  Sorry, not a bullet wound, but a dislocated shoulder.  The wound I'm thinking of is later, and is from being stabbed from a bayonet.

I thought that he *was* shot in the same incident that caused the dislocated shoulder? Now I'm all kinds of confused. Darn, I guess I'll just have to re-read the first book...

I wouldn't hold your breath for that.  I don't think Netflix ever renewed their contract with STARZ, so you'll probably have to look for it elsewhere. 

Nooooo!! Netflix is the only way I would be able to watch it! We have satellite and don't get STARZ, we can't get cable where we live (yes, in the middle of nowhere), and I can't stream video through my internet connection (i.e., I can't use Amazon Prime) because it would cost a million dollars when I went over my data usage. 

:svengo:

ETA: Wait a minute. I just put the Pillars of the Earth in my Netflix queue, and that was a STARZ mini-series, no?

I thought that he *was* shot in the same incident that caused the dislocated shoulder? Now I'm all kinds of confused. Darn, I guess I'll just have to re-read the first book...

Like you *need* an excuse to re-read the first book?  LOL   

I just started #5 on audio this morning and it's hard to reconcile my mind to the visually appealing version of Sam playing Jamie with the mentally appealing 40-something version I hear on my book every day.  I couldn't help but wonder how well Sam could pull off being the doting dad once Bree shows up.

ETA: Wait a minute. I just put the Pillars of the Earth in my Netflix queue, and that was a STARZ mini-series, no?

I have no idea.  I'm only familiar with a handful of cable TV series and couldn't tell you what channels they were from.

bobbeym, do you use Facebook, and if so, do you follow Dianna's page? She posted a "best comment of the day" today that was hilarious.

"I think my panties just learned to speak Scots Gaelic. And they said, 'Ooch, that's a fine laddie ye got there...'" Julia D'Amico

Bwahahahaha

TV series! I'm not sure how I feel about that.

As for this guy, nope, he's not *my* Jamie.

I remember not liking the choice of Brendan Fraiser to be Mo in Inkheart. I was so confused at the choice. BUT, we saw Cornelia Funke at a reading and she said that she based the character on Brendan Fraiser!! So weird.

I remember not liking the choice of Brendan Fraiser to be Mo in Inkheart. I was so confused at the choice. BUT, we saw Cornelia Funke at a reading and she said that she based the character on Brendan Fraiser!! So weird.

I wondered the same thing! Talk about your dream casting. :) Thanks for sharing that. And, so jealous you got to meet Cornelia Funke!

Ok, I'm just gonna throw out a comment here, maybe I'm the only weirdo, or maybe it's just been too long since I read the series, but I did read it and loved it, devoured it. However, I have no desire to see a movies or tv series. It would ruin it for me. I think I identify myself too much with Claire or create my own visualization of what the book is about and anything else would just wreck the whole thing. I've got too much of an imagination. With those books, especially. i remember reading them for hours and then i'd have to quit and i'd just look around the room and have to get my bearings. Anyone out there like that?

Would someone please tell me why my fingers constantly want to spell Jamie's name as "Jaime?  LOL

bobbeym, do you use Facebook, and if so, do you follow Dianna's page? She posted a "best comment of the day" today that was hilarious.

"I think my panties just learned to speak Scots Gaelic. And they said, 'Ooch, that's a fine laddie ye got there...'" Julia D'Amico

Bwahahahaha

I do and I did.  I bust out laughing at that.  Sam tweeted it too.  I wonder what he really and truly thinks about all the fan love, and if he's starting to wonder just what exactly he signed up for.

I always imagined Chris Hemsworth as he looked in Snow White and The Huntsman....with redder hair, and no speaking.

I adore Chris Hemsworth, but I've never been able to see him as Jamie, not after seeing him as Thor. :laugh:  

I haven't seen Inkheart. Is it good? What's it about?  I do love me some Brendan Fraiser though.

Ok, I'm just gonna throw out a comment here, maybe I'm the only weirdo, or maybe it's just been too long since I read the series, but I did read it and loved it, devoured it. However, I have no desire to see a movies or tv series. It would ruin it for me. I think I identify myself too much with Claire or create my own visualization of what the book is about and anything else would just wreck the whole thing. I've got too much of an imagination. With those books, especially. i remember reading them for hours and then i'd have to quit and i'd just look around the room and have to get my bearings. Anyone out there like that?

I'm like that.  I honestly feel like sometimes I suffer withdrawal symptoms when I get immersed in the story and have to come back to reality.   It's really hard listening on audio b/c the only time I have to listen is during my work commute.  Two hours a day is just not enough for my Jamie/Claire fix.

Normally I'd be apprehensive about a tv series, but Ron Moore has a good plan for how he wants to approach it and Diana's in agreement with his plan, and that helps. I feel like we'll really get Diana's books played out on screen the way she envisioned and wrote them and I don't mind indulging in visual fantasy rather than written if that's the case.  Plus, I think with 16 episodes per book per season, they'll be able to keep true to the smaller details that movies have to cut out.

No, I'm usually the same way. I call it Book Fog. My brain fights having to come out of the book world. LOL I am actually glad it is going to be a series. I think they will be able to get more of the details of the story in series format. I've never thought it would make a good movie.

Would someone please tell me why my fingers constantly want to spell Jamie's name as "Jaime?  LOL

I do and I did.  I bust out laughing at that.  Sam tweeted it too.  I wonder what he really and truly thinks about all the fan love, and if he's starting to wonder just what exactly he signed up for.

I adore Chris Hemsworth, but I've never been able to see him as Jamie, not after seeing him as Thor. :laugh:  

I haven't seen Inkheart. Is it good? What's it about?  I do love me some Brendan Fraiser though.

I'm like that.  I honestly feel like sometimes I suffer withdrawal symptoms when I get immersed in the story and have to come back to reality.   It's really hard listening on audio b/c the only time I have to listen is during my work commute.  Two hours a day is just not enough for my Jamie/Claire fix.

Normally I'd be apprehensive about a tv series, but Ron Moore has a good plan for how he wants to approach it and Diana's in agreement with his plan, and that helps. I feel like we'll really get Diana's books played out on screen the way she envisioned and wrote them and I don't mind indulging in visual fantasy rather than written if that's the case.  Plus, I think with 16 episodes per book per season, they'll be able to keep true to the smaller details that movies have to cut out.

I can't believe Sam tweeted that! LOL I may just have to get back on Twitter.

I like Chris, too, but I'm afraid he will always be Thor to me.

Inkheart is wonderful. There are three books in the series, and you can get them on audio. The woman who reads the first book is wonderful. The man who reads the next one is not. Brendan Fraser reads the last one. :) The movie is good, but it was changed from the book quite a bit.

I agree with all you say about movie vs tv series. What makes me even more confident that it will be good is Ron Moore being at the helm. I loved Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Next Generation. Even though Diana doesn't officially have say, I believe he will consult her, and do his best to stay true to her vision.

Did you see her blog post where they were talking about how to open the series? It was really enlightening to me about the differences between print and visual media.

Now we just need Claire! (I hope whoever they cast has a thick skin. Can you imagine the comments she is going to be getting considering the ones Sam has? :( )

Oh, and are we all ready to hate Laoghaire???

I am still so excited. I picked up my books again and started rereading them  :001_wub:  I told DH the other day to plan on us adding Starz to our lineup. We added HBO just for Game of Thrones. I have read the books but it was more for DH that we added the channel... but Starz WILL be added in March for Me! 

Did you see her blog post where they were talking about how to open the series? It was really enlightening to me about the differences between print and visual media.

No, I haven't see that.  I take it it's on her website and not FB?

Now we just need Claire! (I hope whoever they cast has a thick skin. Can you imagine the comments she is going to be getting considering the ones Sam has? :( )

Almost makes you feel sorry for the poor girl doesn't it?

Oh, and are we all ready to hate Laoghaire???

OMG yes!  :lol:   The good thing is that we already KNOW they can't leave her out or it'll totally screw up the storyline in season 4! 

I am still so excited. I picked up my books again and started rereading them  :001_wub:  I told DH the other day to plan on us adding Starz to our lineup. We added HBO just for Game of Thrones. I have read the books but it was more for DH that we added the channel... but Starz WILL be added in March for Me! 

I told DH that too. He just :huh:  at me and then rolled his eyes.

Bobbeym, I think it was on her website. I follow another blog on fb called My Outlander Purgatory, and they had posted a link to it. I wish I could get on my computer so I could link it here for you, but I'm camping. No internet, just cell phone.

I did look at her blog last night, but didn't have time to go so searching for it. I've been on the Outlander Purg site before, but not enough to investigate. I'll have to check their FB later for the link.

Did you see the pic she posted of her son? Wow!  He's an author too; going to have to check out his books. Sounds like something DS would like.

Did you see the pic she posted of her son? Wow! He's an author too; going to have to check out his books. Sounds like something DS would like.

I did! O_O He is so tall! It helped me put it into perspective when she posted it and referenced George Washington's and Thomas Jefferson's height. My dh is 6', and he towers over me. Jamie is a giant. Lol

I'm not sure he is the right guy to pull off that awesome scene where he gives Clare that beating he promised.

Sorry, I just DO NOT GET the Jamie love.

Maybe not, but Diana said that was one of the audition scenes, and he nailed it. I wish we could see the audition tapes. Why hasn't somebody leaked them to YouTube yet? LOL

That's ok. I don't get the Lord John love. :)

Maybe not, but Diana said that was one of the audition scenes, and he nailed it. I wish we could see the audition tapes. Why hasn't somebody leaked them to YouTube yet? LOL

That's ok. I don't get the Lord John love. :)

No idea why they haven't been leaked yet but I sure wish they would be.  I had my own doubts about Sam's ability to play Jamie, but if Diana says he nailed it, I'm more than good on her word on it.

I don't get the LJ love either. Tried to read a book but couldn't get into it. I do have The Scottish Prisoner, but that's only b/c it's Jamie's story too.  LOL   I haven't read it yet though. I was going to read it when I finished book #3 but then I forgot and moved on to the next book. I guess I'll read it whenever I finish up the others.

:leaving:   Don't tell, but I haven't even read Echo once yet. I started it, but I couldn't bring myself to finish it knowing the next book was still years away.

No idea why they haven't been leaked yet but I sure wish they would be. I had my own doubts about Sam's ability to play Jamie, but if Diana says he nailed it, I'm more than good on her word on it.

I don't get the LJ love either. Tried to read a book but couldn't get into it. I do have The Scottish Prisoner, but that's only b/c it's Jamie's story too. LOL I haven't read it yet though. I was going to read it when I finished book #3 but then I forgot and moved on to the next book. I guess I'll read it whenever I finish up the others.

:leaving: Don't tell, but I haven't even read Echo once yet. I started it, but I couldn't bring myself to finish it knowing the next book was still years away.

I tried reading one of the LJ books, too, but it just wasn't my cuppa.

I completely understand not reading the book. I did that when A Breath of Snow and Ashes came out. I took two years to read Echo thinking I would have only about a year for this one. So much for well laid plans.

I tried reading one of the LJ books, too, but it just wasn't my cuppa.

I completely understand not reading the book. I did that when A Breath of Snow and Ashes came out. I took two years to read Echo thinking I would have only about a year for this one. So much for well laid plans.

LOL  I understand the feeling. I did that with both Fiery Cross and Breath when they came out. That's why I haven't been in much of a hurry to finish Echo.

I'm going to try to buy Breath and Echo from Audible once I finish Fiery Cross, but I've only just started and it seems to take me 6-10 weeks of commuting per book.   That should have me wrapping up Echo just a few months before MOBY comes out, I hope.

It occurred to me this morning, as I listened to "Captain Mackenzie" round up peeps for the new militia, that I'll hit the war in the books about the same time the kids do in their US History text this fall. 

I'm not sure what it says about me that I made that connection, but the "a-ha" moment made me feel like a REAL homeschool mom for whatever odd reason.  :lol:   

I think I need more coffee.