Menu

Curious about the national Mythology exam

saraha

I'm the one who mentioned it. When you register for the exam, you get a syllabus that lists the specific sections/recommended books for each subtest. You can also buy a packet of printable activities (in print or .pdf form) to do-although I didn't use many of them. The test is mailed to the sponsor for the group (or the individual parents), and the kids do the sections that are appropriate to their grade or that they want to do. Be aware that versions DO matter-you want to prepare with the specific resources that are listed (my DD ran into this because she decided to take the Iliad subtest, since she's read and loves the Iliad. Unfortunately, the versions she's read aren't the same as the one on the test, and she ended up missing a couple of questions, which bumped her from the Gold that she would have gotten if she'd just done the 3rd grade test section to a bronze).

For the group, what we did was get together monthly and take one section of the test, give the kids the information in advance, and ask them to pick a subtopic (signing up for it so we didn't have too much overlapping) and present it to the group. So, for the perseus and mythological monsters specialty test from last year, we had kids who presented the gorgons, the hydra (both with costumes-Medusa had a head full of gummi worms, and the hydra had a bunch of stuffed dragons attached to paint stirrers around her head), Chiron the centaur, fauns, pegasus, and so on. Presentations varied from costumed dramatic monologues (I wish I had the one given by Hades from a very focused 9 yr old on video), posters, powerpoints and lectures that would still be going on if I hadn't stopped them, and so on. The kids spent about an hour teaching each other the topics, usually did a group activity of some form (like creating a family tree for the Olympians), and then went off to run around my backyard, all in character. The kids had a lot of fun, learned a lot (and the ones who actually took the exam-not all did-did pretty well on it), and, perhaps more important, it led to people who were on a more classical path finding each other-which, in a homeschool group with a very vocal contingent of unschoolers to the point that the more academically focused people tend not to talk about academics without sort of apologizing for it, was helpful to the parents as well as the kids.

We're going to tackle the Egyptian and Norse mythology sections this year (which means the kids will have to reread/prepare for the core Greek/Roman section on their own).

Our dc took these and really enjoyed it. I remember ds thinking they weren't very difficult. But he did enjoy the subject matter and read a lot. I think we ordered one of the kits as well but don't have memory of it. I would encourage you to look into it.