Menu

When do grammar programs introduce plural forms, prefixes, suffixes etc?

thundersweet

Just wondering. I am trying to decide which grammar program to use for my dd. I have narrowed it down to easy Grammar grade 2 or the second half of FLL. I was just looking through both books and noticed FLL does not introduce plurals, prefixes, suffixes, or possessives in the 2nd grade book. FLL introduces these things in the 3rd grade book but EG introduced them in 2nd grade. Just wondering why that is. I would think forming plurals would definitely be in a 2nd grade grammar curriculum. Is it assumed that your spelling program teaches this in FLL? Or is this something not normally taught until 3rd grade? Just curious.

Thanks,

Sandy

them in 2nd grade; definitely no later than 3rd grade. I think the reason why Abeka includes them in grammar is because the plural form does play a grammatical function, although I've also seen it in spelling books. Latin has a grammatical form for the plural, depending on the particular noun declension.

Those are not grammar functions. You will find them in spelling instruction, sometimes in a comprehensive English text like R&S's English series.

They are in every 2nd grade grammar program I have looked at so far except FLL. Well, they were in GWG and EG anyway. That's why I was wondering when it was normally introduced.

Thanks,

Sandy

They are in every 2nd grade grammar program I have looked at so far except FLL. Well, they were in GWG and EG anyway. That's why I was wondering when it was normally introduced.

Thanks,

Sandy

Huh. Well, I have R&S's scope and sequence here, and those things are taught in the spelling series, not in the English series. Also, I see that Daily Grams teaches prefixes and suffixes and whatnot, but Easy Grammar does not. OTOH, ABeka seems to cover those in its grammar/comp, but BJUP in its spelling. So I guess there's no standard :-)

Huh. Well, I have R&S's scope and sequence here, and those things are taught in the spelling series, not in the English series. Also, I see that Daily Grams teaches prefixes and suffixes and whatnot, but Easy Grammar does not. OTOH, ABeka seems to cover those in its grammar/comp, but BJUP in its spelling. So I guess there's no standard :-)

I think the publishers want parents to buy the entire curriculum; I guess you really can't blame them! I've found the same thing true in Abeka with spelling; to me, it seemed like unless you used their entire spelling curriculum and followed the lesson plans as outlined in the teacher's guide, the spelling lists didn't always seem to follow rules of phonics. For my middle dd, who was a natural speller, Abeka worked fine. For my youngest, though, Abeka spelling was very frustrating to her! We switched to Spelling Workout.

No doubt you are right, though, that some publishers teach plurals and forms of plurals in their spelling books, and some publishers teach them in the grammar books. Frustrating!

It does go over prefixes and suffixes in the 2nd grade book. I guess it then reviews them in DG's starting in 3rd. However, it is a very brief introduction though.

Sandy