Menu

2013 AP scores available

If you live on the East Coast, AP scores are up.

My dd's Facebook is hopping with kids talking about how they did.

(And if someone wants a strong recommendation for Mrs. Inspektor's AP English Lang&Comp class, I'll provide it!)

How are your students feeling about the AP scores? Any surprises?

And how did the AP Bio scores play out, since it is the "new" exam this year?

Yippee!!!! 5 on AP Cal AB, 4 on chemistry and biology. He scored 760 pn the bio SAT 2 . He thought it was really easy and thought he would have a 5 but he is most happy with the 4.

My son also got a 4 on biology. He got a 770 on the SAT 2 and also felt the test was pretty easy. But when I saw the percentages of 5's this year (only 5.4%), I was not expecting one for him! He's actually away right now, volunteering at a conference center for Christian military families for 2 weeks, so he will have to wait to find out! He will be happy, and I must say I am relieved.

21.4% got 4's, and 36.3% got 3's--with such a high percentage of 3's, I thought that would be what he ended up with!

I'm still waiting to hear how the other 3 boys in in my class did.

We got ours through his Baylor account .  He won't be able to get them officially until Saturday.

He got a 5 on AP Physics, 5 on Physics B, and 4 on Economics.

He was surprised he only got a 4 on Economics.  He aced the class and all of the exams/AP practice tests...  I'm thinking the class just ended so early and he just took if for granted since he was SO worried about Physics.  He felt unsure about physics.  He said there was a massive amount of material and he didn't fell the class prepared him quite as well as the AP Calc class did.  He felt SO SO prepared for the Calc exam through PA Homeschoolers.  PA Homeschoolers was a lifesaver for me.  These are the classes he took earlier years:

AP Stats= 5, AP Gov =5,  And AP Chem= 4

Hello!

That is pretty amazing!  Tell him congratulations!

Were all your son's AP preparation courses through PA Homeschoolers?  That's quite

a recommendation for them!

I've been going back and forth on whether to plan for PA Homeschoolers but now I think it

might be a good idea.

Thanks for posting!  I love it when homeschoolers do well!

My son's accout says "No scores available" -- ugh. Sent email to college board to follow up. May call later as well. Others on College Confidential are reporting the same problem. So frustrating!

Brenda

Updating to say that I did call and they say they have no tests listed for my son, they would create a case to investigate the issue and get back to me in 5 - 7 business days. Ugh. Not sure what we'll do if they can't find the scores, so praying that they do!

Brenda

Updating to say that I did call and they say they have no tests listed for my son, they would create a case to investigate the issue and get back to me in 5 - 7 business days. Ugh. Not sure what we'll do if they can't find the scores, so praying that they do!

Brenda

Ack! I hope it works out for your son.

Brenda

Oh no!! Hope that CB resolves this pronto!

LOL, Seeking. I think your ds probably could have prepared himself for the Gov't. My dd spent all year doing the CalcBC (She also highly recommends Mrs. G) and PhysicsB classes ... and she got the 5's as a reward. She read the Gov't textbook in a month (when she had time), studied with a review book for 1.5 weeks (when she had time), and memorized the Amendments with mnemonics 10pm the night before the exam and got a ..... drumroll, please.... 5. Huh? I was so annoyed at her for putting it all off for so long that I told her at the time if she got anything over a 3 I would lose my faith in the College Board AP Program. Well....... now what do I do? LOL. Seems so unfair to dd#2 who worked so hard for her 4 on APBio. Percentiles, percentiles, percentiles.....

Brenda

Definitely not what you wanted to hear. I hope it gets resolved earlier rather than later.

Since you said scores I am hopeful that they couldn't have lost more than 1 test for the same person taken on different days. Does your son know anyone who took the same tests as he did? Of course, I don't know that knowing they were having the same trouble would make me feel that much better.

Definitely not what you wanted to hear. I hope it gets resolved earlier rather than later.

Since you said scores I am hopeful that they couldn't have lost more than 1 test for the same person taken on different days. Does your son know anyone who took the same tests as he did? Of course, I don't know that knowing they were having the same trouble would make me feel that much better.

He took the tests at a private school. He only knows one other kid who was at one of the two tests. He's going to see if he has her email address. I am hoping that there was some confusion because his homeschool CEEB didn't match the CEEB of the testing school, and that the scores are there and are just not matched up with his account. I guess we'll just have to be patient and wait and see. Thanks for all the good thoughts & prayers.

Brenda

Brenda, the same thing has happened to my daughter. My son and she took the AP Calc BC at the local high school. He received his score today (5, yay!); when she logged in and tried to retreive her score, she got a message that her AP # didn't exist. I called, and also got the "we'll get back to you in 5-7 days."

For those of you, like me, that do not live in one of the states that was able to log in today and see the scores, you have to love the kids on College Confidential.

I was able to log in to the College Board just now with no problems and see the scores. Here is the link:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/ap-tests-preparation/1524249-surefire-way-get-ap-scores-early.html

DS got his scores today.  He received a 4 on both AP Chem and AP Comp Science.  We were very nervous about the AP Chem score because he never scored higher than a 3 on all the practice tests.  And Brenda, I pray everything works out with your son's scores.  I am sure it is frustrating!

Just want to throw my sympathy in for those of you for whom the system is not working. I would be livid and frantic and am in awe of those who are handling it well.

My daughter is in public HS this year and only took Calc BC. She was confident of and made a 5. She had a great teacher with a reputation for preparing her students well, but her homeschooled foundation (she used ChalkDust from pre-algebra through Calc AB) served her well: she breezed through the class, and that was not true of all of her classmates.

Congrats on all of the good results!

My son got one of his results, and not the second one,

He scored a 4 on AP Chemistry! YEAH!  He prepared all on his own, in about 6 weeks, having never done Chemistry before! Woohooo!

The downside is that his Computer Science class, through PA Homeschoolers, is nowhere to be found. I'll be calling tomorrow. His Chem exam is also associated with the wrong school. My son is with Kolbe Academy, but Chemistry is listed as being with the school where he took the exam.

Thank you for all this good feedback!

I need to go look at PA Homeschoolers.

Yes, they were all through PA Homeschoolers.  That type of class works REALLY well for oldest.

AP Stats- Blue Hen who posts here is awesome.  It was his first class of this type and he struggled for the first couple of months, but then his light bulb went off.

AP Chem-  Loved the class, thought it prepared him very well.

AP Gov-  This was probably his worst class.  Ms. C ( can't remember her name and too lazy to look it up) had a baby when class started and he husband was in the military and they were gone off and on.  First semester she got behind on the grading.  My middle son hated this class.  He failed the first several essays, but he had turned in 3 and was writing a 4th before he got the first one back!!!!   So it was too late to fix the other ones.  That said, second semester was better.  I think she is a good teacher, but life got in the way that year.

AP Economics- A really good, fun class.  My son LOVED it and he felt so prepared.  The problem is that the class ends in February.  I think he needed a little more prep the month before.

AP Physics- Jeff  L-  It was fine.  He didn't feel as prepared.  His grade ended up being an A, but he didn't do well on some of the tests and such, but like some classes in college there was a curve.

AP Calc with Mrs. G-  HE LOVED LOVED LOVED this class!  He said it was his favorite and his easiest class.  He thought Calculus was so fun and would always do it first and never struggled.  Looking back, I wonder if he should have taken BC instead of AB, but I didn't want to overload him and he'll have to take it in college anyway. 

So that is our experience.  I couldn't have prepared him for any of those with the exception of government.  I never even took Physics in high school or Calc and blundered my way through Chemistry in high school.  I didn't have to take science in college.  And college algebra was good enough for my education degree for math!  He had to have outside teaching in math and science!

I've had various kids take umpteen AP classes from PAH, all with stellar scores. Our top ones --

AP Physics B with Mr. L -- tons of work, but my kid really learned her stuff.

AP English Lang&Comp with Mrs. I -- fantastic. I am still amazed at how she transformed a reluctant awkward writer into a fairly enthusiastic and fluid writer. An impressive feat!

AP Economics -- fantastic class. My ds loved the games.

AP Chemistry -- fantastic class. I've had three kids take it, and all say it was one of their favorite classes in all of high school.

AP US History -- I'm not sure the fellow dd had is still teaching it, but this was our first PAH class, and I was totally impressed!

These are our top ones. I am very grateful to PAH for providing rigorous well-taught AP classes to homeschoolers! There are other sources of AP classes, and we have used a few, but PAH provides some great classes!

My son got one of his results, and not the second one,

He scored a 4 on AP Chemistry! YEAH!  He prepared all on his own, in about 6 weeks, having never done Chemistry before! Woohooo!

The downside is that his Computer Science class, through PA Homeschoolers, is nowhere to be found. I'll be calling tomorrow. His Chem exam is also associated with the wrong school. My son is with Kolbe Academy, but Chemistry is listed as being with the school where he took the exam.

WOW, good for him! I'm impressed!

Bummer about no score for CS, and I too admire the calm ladies on this board waiting for scores ...

Another hearty endorsement of PA H/S ... my son got 5s this year in Chem, English Lang, and Statistics. He is happy and relieved. Fantastic classes -- Mr Moskaluk for Chem, Mrs Inspektor for Lang, and Mrs Blue Hen :) for Stats.

P.S. Snowbeltmom: I was excited to see your work-around, but my son wouldn't let us use it ... he said if he couldn't wait one more day, that would be pretty pathetic. My argument was that it would enable us to get more sleep .... we were picking up a friend at the airport at 11 pm, so I knew we'd be up tantalizingly close to 2 am (when the scores become available on the West Coast) ...  as it turns out, they were available at 1:30 am our time, so we got both of my sons' scores -- my older son (off to college this fall) got a 4 on Enviro Sci -- he won't have to take one of the breadth requirements in college! yay! That will enable him to take a lighter load at least one semester in college ... and not have to take biology in college ... I think if he'd known the potential payoffs, he would have studied harder for his other AP (US Gov) -- he was NOT prepared well for that one at ALL and got a 2 ... (yes, my older son is in ps ... no comparison with the PA H/S classes my hs'd son took ...)

P.S. Snowbeltmom: I was excited to see your work-around, but my son wouldn't let us use it ...

I am the only one in my house who stresses about these exams. My son was confident at the outcomes, while I always worry that he mis-bubbled, the school lost his test, etc.

My husband has been traveling with my son out of state at a tennis tournament for the past few days. I emailed my husband the results when I got them late Saturday night, but my husband actually forgot to relay the results to my son. Clearly, neither one of them were as anxious as I.

My son's College Board account has disappeared.  It doesn't recognize his user name/password, nor does it recognize either of his email addresses.  We were just in his account 2 weeks ago to get his SAT scores.  Since he had plenty of tests with them in the past, I am kind of freaking out.  They better not have lost his previous SAT scores, SAT II score and previous APs.  I am livid.  So, I am not one of those handling this well. 

My freshman took her first AP test this year, US Govt and Politics.  My older daughter had never done any AP classes or tests, so this was new territory for us, but it went well.  She got a 5.  Her curric this year was the Thinkwell course, and she supplemented with a couple of prep books.  Five Steps to a Five was one, can't remember the other.  She attended the Close Up program in DC too.

My son's College Board account has disappeared.  It doesn't recognize his user name/password, nor does it recognize either of his email addresses.  We were just in his account 2 weeks ago to get his SAT scores.  Since he had plenty of tests with them in the past, I am kind of freaking out.  They better not have lost his previous SAT scores, SAT II score and previous APs.  I am livid.  So, I am not one of those handling this well.

Ellen,

Oh nooooooo! I definitely feel for you. I checked in my son's account again this morning for AP scores and it still says, "No scores available". I didn't even think to see if son's SAT scores were still there, and now his account says, "You have not taken the SAT". Talk about concerning. I sure hope the College Board gets all this figured out ASAP. Maybe there is some solace in knowing that your kiddo is not the only one having this problem.

Brenda

My freshman took her first AP test this year, US Govt and Politics. My older daughter had never done any AP classes or tests, so this was new territory for us, but it went well. She got a 5. Her curric this year was the Thinkwell course, and she supplemented with a couple of prep books. Five Steps to a Five was one, can't remember the other. She attended the Close Up program in DC too.

We chose US Govt and Politics as a first AP here, too, and my dd also got a 5. She prepped with 5 Steps to a Five, the REA Crash Course, and the released free response questions. With a good textbook, I think you can self-prep for this one. I was surprised to read in the score distribution report that 20-25% of students got zero points on each of the four free response questions. There were also fewer 4s and 5s this year on this exam.

{hugs} I would be livid and freaking out, too. That being said, the CB should have back-ups of all its data, so I would try not to worry.

Only one AP each for the boys this year - World History for both of them. 5's and we are pleased. It's getting hard to schedule AP's since Team America Rocketry Challenge National Finals falls right in the middle of AP testing time. We hate to give up finals because there are so many college scouts and industry reps at the event. Our kids have had the opportunity to meet and impress some pretty important people. If we had scheduled all of the AP's eldest ds wanted to take this year, he would have had to skip out. But it is a risky choice in terms of college admissions to tier 1 institutions and when competing for scholarships. I'm nervous at times about it.

Faith

Thanks for all the reassurances.  I will be calling them as soon as I get some breakfast (and my morning tea - the beverage!)

Ellen,

I hope you manage to get through to the CB via phone. I just tried and got a busy signal. I did check my son's account again, and his SAT scores are showing again, at least, but the AP section still shows 'No scores available'. I guess patience is in order....

Brenda

It's getting hard to schedule AP's since Team America Rocketry Challenge National Finals falls right in the middle of AP testing time.

Faith

The College Board does not really publicize it much, but the CB does offer a make-up date for each exam. Your kids would still be able to compete in the competition and take the AP exams later in May if they needed to.

The College Board does not really publicize it much, but the CB does offer a make-up date for each exam. Your kids would still be able to compete in the competition and take the AP exams later in May if they needed to.

But finding a school to proctor only one child who doesn't attend the school may be very difficult. It is also an extra $40 per exam of the reason is an academic contest.

But finding a school to proctor only one child who doesn't attend the school may be very difficult. It is also an extra $40 per exam of the reason is an academic contest.

Yep! We sometimes drive 85 miles one way for an AP seat...I may have to drive 92 miles to get ds's AP music exam next year if we choose to sit that one. It was a juggling act to get them in this year. I have NO doubt that we would not find a proctor for a make-up exam.

I am going to call the mentor for the Grosse Pointe High School TARC team. They had team members who had to do make-ups for their Physics exams in order to attend the Congressional Breakfast. If they make the Finals again this year and are proctoring make-ups, I might get lucky and get a seat for a needed exam for one of my kids. Grosse Pointe is a good 2 hr. drive one way, but we'll see if we can make it work.

When you consider that I've got four hours of driving plus the gas and if the exam starts at 8:00 p.m., need to be there at 7:00 p.m., plus need to build in extra drive time in case of traffic and accidents on the freeway (if you don't give yourself extra and travel to Detroit or the burbs, you will end up regretting that decision!), I may even need to get a hotel room the night before so ds can be well rested and well fed. The cost is huge! I'd pay the gas money and hotel room money plus the testing fee and make-up fee to a local school if they would provide a teacher to proctor the thing.

Faith

The cost is huge! I'd pay the gas money and hotel room money plus the testing fee and make-up fee to a local school if they would provide a teacher to proctor the thing.

Faith

It sure would be nice if the local schools were required to proctor AP exams for homeschoolers that live in their districts.  I am fortunate where I live because my district has always permitted my son to take AP exams at the high school - even when the particular AP exam is not being taken by any of the public schooled kids.  

Frankly, I think all educators should provide these testing opportunities to the homeschooled kids in their districts since our tax dollars are supporting these schools.

Yep! We sometimes drive 85 miles one way for an AP seat...I may have to drive 92 miles to get ds's AP music exam next year if we choose to sit that one. It was a juggling act to get them in this year. I have NO doubt that we would not find a proctor for a make-up exam.

I am going to call the mentor for the Grosse Pointe High School TARC team. They had team members who had to do make-ups for their Physics exams in order to attend the Congressional Breakfast. If they make the Finals again this year and are proctoring make-ups, I might get lucky and get a seat for a needed exam for one of my kids. Grosse Pointe is a good 2 hr. drive one way, but we'll see if we can make it work.

When you consider that I've got four hours of driving plus the gas and if the exam starts at 8:00 p.m., need to be there at 7:00 p.m., plus need to build in extra drive time in case of traffic and accidents on the freeway (if you don't give yourself extra and travel to Detroit or the burbs, you will end up regretting that decision!), I may even need to get a hotel room the night before so ds can be well rested and well fed. The cost is huge! I'd pay the gas money and hotel room money plus the testing fee and make-up fee to a local school if they would provide a teacher to proctor the thing.

Faith

What about doing the tests near where the rocketry finals are?  If the finals are in VA again, you might have some luck with this, since schools here are supposed to be open to homeschoolers doing AP/PSAT/SAT exams.  You might be able to go to finals a day early or stay a day later and fit a test in. 

What about doing the tests near where the rocketry finals are?  If the finals are in VA again, you might have some luck with this, since schools here are supposed to be open to homeschoolers doing AP/PSAT/SAT exams.  You might be able to go to finals a day early or stay a day later and fit a test in. 

Hmmm....I'll check into that. I always assumed that Virginia law only applied to Virginia residents in terms of offering exams to homeschoolers, and we are from Michigan. But, maybe some school would take pity on me.

I know some kids that skipped the Congressional Breakfast due to the physics AP because they couldn't get a make up seat. It's so sad when kids have to make those choices. Georgia Tech, U of Alabama, MIT, and a couple of others had college scouts there that morning in addition to so many DoD industry execs. On top of which, our team each received letters of recognition from our Senator at their meeting with him after the breakfast. These are just as important, maybe more in the long view, as test scores. Sigh....

Of course, when we moved to this area, none of these things were issues. Lots of testing sites, lots of make-up test proctors, many options. But, the total crash of the Michigan economy has left the entire educational system reeling, not to mention some rather stupid policy decisions that didn't have to be made. The budget cuts are ridiculous (sports budgets continue to increase :glare: ). Grrrrr....had we known, we.would.not.have.moved.here.

Faith

He exists!

This really made me laugh out loud! I guess now we can rely on the College Board to not only confirm our students' homeschool work and our own "mommy transcripts" but to also confirm their mere existence! lol!

Congratulations on getting through to the CB and getting fabulous results on the AP tests, too!

"I always assumed that Virginia law only applied to Virginia residents in terms of offering exams to homeschoolers, and we are from Michigan."

We live i VA, and we have had no luck getting out-of-district schools to give our kids AP's, even when our home district didn't offer the exam and the out-of-district school did. So I'm not sure how VA schools would handle an out-of-state students.

However, the private schools in VA are fantastic about letting homeschoolers take AP exams. The year when I couldn't get our district to give my son an exam because they weren't offering it, I found many private schools that were happy to give him the exam!

Best wishes!

This really made me laugh out loud! I guess now we can rely on the College Board to not only confirm our students' homeschool work and our own "mommy transcripts" but to also confirm their mere existence! lol!

Congratulations on getting through to the CB and getting fabulous results on the AP tests, too!

Well, if you see my previous post, they didn't not have any record of him despite having taken 4 exams previously and us checking his account just a couple of weeks ago.