Menu

Hormone testing and such

Anyone had blood tests for hormone levels? What did they show and did it help? I went to DR today to discuss my escalating issues with things that seem to be related to hormones. They are running blood work first to check hormone levels, thyroid levels, and other screening. We'll go from there to see what that shows. I expect to have results early next week. She said if that doesn't show a lot conclusively, she would likely send me on to my GYN for further more specialized stuff.

I hope something shows up that can direct us in the way that will help. I hate this junk with my body. Blech!

I have had hormone issues for years (total hysterectomy at 32). The blood tests show your levels at that point in time. Saliva tests (ZRT labs) show a more cummulative and complete picture. They are all valuable. One thing I would suggest is getting copies of all the lab reports for your records. So many times the doctors just look at if you are within normal parameters and not the change in your individual test results. You should be tracking test results, even if they are within normal parameters. I'm assuming that you will be monitored by these tests in the future here. Research what they are testing and your results as well as your symptoms. Go to the doctor as informed as you get and ask tons of questions. If what you doctor tells you conflicts with your research ask why. It's your body and no one cares about it more than you. If I had followed this advice I would not have had a hysterectomy at 32! Small rant, sorry.

One (of many) reason I like my doctor's office is that they always mail a copy of the labs to your home no matter what! They also realize, especially with thyroid and other things too, that while you may be in the normal testing range, it may be abnormal for *you*.

What you said is good advice. I am fortunate that my doctors seem to be on top of things in those ways. And even if things come back seemingly normal, they don't just stop there.

Thanks!

Based on talking with me, my doctor thought that my thyroid medication needed to be upped, that my progesterone was low, and that I might be insulin resistant.

She started me on progesterone and upped my thyroid medication and the testing later confirmed everything but the insulin resistance. From reading, the thyroid and progesterone and insulin resistance symptoms have a lot of overlap and they can affect a wide variety of things. My major symptoms were digestive problems, hair loss, weight problems and sleeping problems.

The thyroid medication has the most impact on me, but I also think the progesterone helps me. A friend that goes to the same doctor has other, somewhat more severe symptoms. She can literally feel hormones "rushing" through her body and can kind of tell when they are too high....if that makes sense.

So, yes....I think hormone imbalances can create a lot of problems.

My doctor sounds like yours in that she puts just as much importance on how I am feeling as she does on what the test results show.

My DR called with results. Thyroid, blood counts, and all look great. My hormone levels, shock of all shocks, are very low. DUH! Both estrogen and progesterone are in the "normal" range. However, they are quite close to the bottom of that range. She is sending me on to my gyn to discuss options and such since I was averse to going on bcp (bad experience in past and not wishing to repeat). I have an appt on Tues. of next week to figure something out. All of the things I have been going through that are getting worse pointed to that area. Especially screaming is that progesterone is very low and out of ratio with estrogen, even though it, too is low.

I hope we can find out something. I have been using the cream, but maybe not enough? I don't know but these hormones are a booger!

My DR called with results. Thyroid, blood counts, and all look great. My hormone levels, shock of all shocks, are very low. DUH! Both estrogen and progesterone are in the "normal" range. However, they are quite close to the bottom of that range. She is sending me on to my gyn to discuss options and such since I was averse to going on bcp (bad experience in past and not wishing to repeat). I have an appt on Tues. of next week to figure something out. All of the things I have been going through that are getting worse pointed to that area. Especially screaming is that progesterone is very low and out of ratio with estrogen, even though it, too is low.

I hope we can find out something. I have been using the cream, but maybe not enough? I don't know but these hormones are a booger!

Had you been using the cream when you had the testing done?

Had you been using the cream when you had the testing done?

I have been using very small amounts for 2 weeks each in the past 2 months. I have not used any since the last day of previous cycle. So, not on any this week at all. I think the last day I applied some was last Friday.

But, this was a blood test and not saliva. Apparently, the cream doesn't go through the blood stream.

Keep trying the cream--you could increase what you're using slightly to see if it makes any difference. Be sure you have a cream that has US Pharmaceutical grade natural progesterone cream.

I have one that was a recommended brand per Dr. Lee in his book. I am wondering if I need to be using it more than just the days 12-26 though. If my levels are so low, should I be doing it more through out the month? I have yet to find info. on that.

I would ask for the TSH number. Some labs/doctors still use the old standards of 0.5-5.0 for normal. The new ranges are 0.3-3.0 (with under 2 being best). If you have thyroid symptoms, then I would consult with the doctor about the new standards.

at levels of:

1 mg---days 1-10 of my cycle

2 mg---days 11-until I start

It's a prescription strength, compounded, progesterone cream.

I have one that was a recommended brand per Dr. Lee in his book. I am wondering if I need to be using it more than just the days 12-26 though. If my levels are so low, should I be doing it more through out the month? I have yet to find info. on that.

I'm coming in on the middle of the conversation, however, I just wanted to add that using progesterone cream for mood swings (as in my yelling at my kids and just waking up mad at the world) did help, but it wasn't enough for me to start using it at X number of days. I basically started using it a day after my period and then stopped when I had my period. The brand I've used is xymogen and it's called progensa 20.

I also can tell a difference when I take something called 5-HTP. I use it at night. It should be at a health food store. I take two pills, but I don't remember how much is in the pill...with one I couldn't tell, but two I can.

Both help me to not feel "ugly" at times. Now I'm going through a phase where I don't need them, but I'm having other issues. Anyway, this too shall pass, really it will.

Alison in KY

Are you still having normal periods? My cream bottle has 3 different directions--one for menstruating, one for perimenopausal, and one for menopausal women. The days to take the cream vary depending on which situation you're in.

If you're still having periods, sounds like you're taking it enough days (mine says to start on day 12 of cycle through day 26). After that, I might take a little more each time (do you take once or twice a day?).

Have you been to Dr. Lee's website and taken the hormone balance test--it might help determine if there are any other issues going on. I'm still reading Dr. Lee's book. Does he only suggest nat. prog. cream for low estrogen and progesterone? Are there any hormones to add to that? Just curious.

I hope you get relief soon!! Hang in there. I read that for some women, it can take a few months for them to experience relief because the progesterone can take some time to build up.