Menu

Practice readers to go along with OPG

MrsMeunier

Hi there :)

I am working through the Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading with my son, and we are starting to get into blends. I would really like to provide him with some extra practice passages as we learn these. We are going at a relaxed pace, a lesson every other day. I typically do a lesson (and often the suggested activity) and then the following day, do some sort of practice. For short vowels, it was easy to find phonetic readers (BOB books, etc), but now that I am planning for blends next week, I am having a tough time finding material the practices the specific blends covered (without introducing a lot of unfamiliar words). Does anyone have ideas for practice reading material?

Thanks!

Explode the Code book 2 & Primary Phonics book 2 are both workbooks that cover blends. Any readers you find are going to differ slightly from the scope & sequence of OPG. I thought Bob Books worked just find as reinforcement, honestly. Maybe check them out from the library to see?

Thanks for the ideas! I'll take a look at Explode the Code and Primary Phonics. I do have the Bob books, and they are great for reinforcement; they just stop matching up so easily once you hit blends. I know nothing will match up perfectly to OPG; I was just hoping someone had found something close. :)

I had the same problem when my kids reached that stage. I didn't want them reading a bunch of words they hadn't been taught yet, and all the "early reader" books are chalk full of "sight words." The HOP books were okay-ish, but they still had more sight words than I wanted. Progressive Phonics has books you can print for free that focus just on blends. http://progressivephonics.com/

Real books like Dr Seuss. Just do shared reading. Read what they can't and have them read the rest. IMO a kid should be learning some sight words as well. I, the, was, said, am, an, she, he, etc. 

McGuffy readers are another option.

The Gaydos readers are good as well. 

Fischer Price has early readers. Scholastic has a set of Clifford early readers. Then you have all those Step Into style books to choose from. 

You could also just read Mother Goose rhymes and I Can Read books. 

I don't think you necessarily have to control what a child reads based on what they are learning in phonics instruction. 

It sounds like we are at similar places in OPGTR, and I use Reading Bear quite a bit.  I have also started reading a "real" book with her and just have her read all the words she should be able to read and help her with those she doesn't know yet.  One of my dd's favorite shows is Little Bear, so we are slowly reading through a book I have with several stories in it.  She can read about 60% of the words in it, or more.

I have been frustrated that there aren't many beginning readers that are strictly phonetic past the cvc stage.  After thinking about it though, even if there were a bunch they may go in a different order than OPGTR.  At some point, I figured that I just had to make the jump to regular beginning readers and help her with the sight words that are included.  We started practicing with regular books around Lesson 70, although dd also does some OPGTR every day too.