Menu

Gluten free on the go?

Unicorn.

I need suggestions for healthy-ish gf grab and go foods. Things dd can throw in a bag or little cooler for swim meet snacks, breakfast in the car after morning practices, lunches, etc. Something that's easy to eat, and pack. Really need protein ideas- she doesn't like nuts at all.

She will be going to high school at ps next fall, and will have to be at the pool at 6:45, then the bus takes her back to campus. Plus she'll have swim meets several weekends. At home for lunch, she usually nibbles, or makes something in the toaster oven, or cooks. So I need ideas for lunches. She isn't big on sandwiches or wraps made w/ corn tortillas.

Want to share your favorite grab and go snacks/breakfasts/packable lunches? Even if they don't fit in the parameters listed above. I'm good at modifying, but am coming up empty on original ideas lately.

Our grab and go stuff is fairly simple. We have more food restrictions than you, but some might work: hard boiled eggs; cheese sticks (we don't do these any longer due to new dairy allergies); raw fruits and veggies (again, not something we do so much now due to OAS); leftovers from dinner; sunbutter on rice cakes or gluten free bread (or any sandwich filling, for that matter); egg sandwiches on GF bread; soups in a thermos; chili in thermos with chips on the side; sunbutter and apples; yogurt; smoothies in thermos.

Oops, just realized I listed some sandwiches.

Cheese, gf muffins, fruit, celery with ranch or peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, gf pretzels (snyders makes some great ones) with Nutella, carrots with ranch or hummus, peppers with hummus, gf granola or granola bars, ham and cheese roll ups

Does she like Larabars? They always have nuts but they are ground up and mixed with other stuff. If those are a good bet they are super easy to make in a food processor. I crank out 40 or 50 in an hour before a road trip, even making several varieties. They freeze/refrigerate well for awhile and have good protein/healthy fat, depending on what you put in them.

Does she like Larabars? They always have nuts but they are ground up and mixed with other stuff. If those are a good bet they are super easy to make in a food processor. I crank out 40 or 50 in an hour before a road trip, even making several varieties. They freeze/refrigerate well for awhile and have good protein/healthy fat, depending on what you put in them.

Yep, easy to make and shelf stable.

String cheese, carrots and other veggies, deviled eggs or deli meat roll ups in a cooler. Chili heated up and put in a pre-heated thermos (not really that hard if it is already made). Homemade or store bought lara bars. We have these for travel snacks for DH or for quick grab and go snacks for the kids. Servings aren't huge, but enough to stave off hunger. http://www6.netrition.com/lc_foods_snack_pack.html (some have nuts, some have pumpkin seeds)

Coconut or almond flour quick breads and muffins

Small containers of cottage cheese in a cooler

Healthier protein powder and a shelf stable aseptic pack of almond or other milk or milk sub (could use a shaker jar to have it on the go?)

Will you share how to make the larabars? Is it possible to make them nut free? Thanks!

Can you do seeds? LIke pumpkin seeds, for example? That would make it easy.

I haven't made them in a while, but I made them regularly for a while. Basically I would pulse whatever nuts or seeds for a bit. Add in things like shredded coconut, or other dried fruits like dried apples, and let them whizz around in the food processor for a short trip. Add in spices if you wish. Things like cinnamon and dried apples are good together.

Dump into a container.

Then take pitted dates, pulse those in the food processor until they kind of glob together into a dough. Then add in the seed and "extras" mix, pulse for a tiny bit again til combined. Form into balls or bars with your hands. I would sometimes put in waxed paper bags to make them more convenient to grab and go.

Our grab and go stuff is fairly simple. We have more food restrictions than you, but some might work: hard boiled eggs; cheese sticks (we don't do these any longer due to new dairy allergies); raw fruits and veggies (again, not something we do so much now due to OAS); leftovers from dinner; sunbutter on rice cakes or gluten free bread (or any sandwich filling, for that matter); egg sandwiches on GF bread; soups in a thermos; chili in thermos with chips on the side; sunbutter and apples; yogurt; smoothies in thermos.

Oops, just realized I listed some sandwiches.

That's okay...some sandwiches are good, just not everyday.

Can you share how you make your Larabars? I did find one protein/nut bar that she likes, but they are like $2 each, and I only see them at the check out. Can't remember who makes them though. I do remember it's one of the more expensive gf product manufacturers (not scharr).

Other than what was already listed, my gf child likes Ian's gf chicken nuggets or chicken strips in her lunch. I also pack her lunch bento-box style. I give her rice with sesame seeds, some fruits, some veggies, some hummus, and either some gf lunch meat, leftover meat or a boiled egg.

A thermos is handy also. She loves soup or chili or taco meat to go with crackers or bean chips.

I pack her gf muffins, choc-loco bars, or homemade granola bars also.

Here is the formula I use:

1 c. nuts

1 c. dates (4-5, pitted)

1/2-1 c. "extra"

Then I just tweak the actual ingredients. Here are some combinations we like:

Ginger Snap: dates, pecans, ginger, cinnamon, clove (you could add raisins to bulk up the "extra" category here or just add a bit more of each dates and nuts)

Lemon: dates, cashews, coconut, lemon extract

Chocolate: dates, walnuts, cocoa powder, coconut

Blueberry: dates, cashews, dried blueberries, a few drops each of lemon and vanilla extracts

Apple Pie: dates, walnuts, dried apples, raisins, cinnamon

These are really flexible. You could add or substitute different kinds of nuts. Almonds make for a drier bar, pecans and walnuts are more oily. If the mixture is too wet and gooey you can add a few more nuts, if it is too dry you can add another date or a spoonful of coconut oil. Any dried fruit would work. I might do a peanut/dried cherry one this summer.

The master formula makes 4-6 bars depending on how much you play with extras and how big you cut them.

I didn't see if you are restricted from dairy.

My dd(15) really likes greek yogurt now. We get individual containers. This would be her first choice.

Other options:

humus and celery or gf crackers.

peanut butter and celery and gf cracker

energy bars: we try all the flavors. her current favorite is CORE 20g protien bar in brownie crisp

I make several dozen muffins at a time and freeze them. She reheats them in the microwave.

If you need something for the occasional grab and go, I really love the gluten free gopicnic packs. Other than that hard boiled eggs, nut butters on bread or crackers (if she'll eat them), hummus and veggies, larabars, gluten free granola bars (bakery on main), baggies of gf cereal. Also gluten free goddess has some good recipes that might work if you baked and froze.