Menu

child who picks scabs....HELP please

ProudGrandma

I have a child who is always picking at their scabs. I have tried trimming nails really short, putting bandades on the sores (but there are so many...you know...summertime)....tried reminding them to keep their hands busy....but kids are kids...and I am not sure what else I can do...please give me a suggestion....or 10 to try....thanks.

I was a scab-picker. When I was about 8, I was at my best friend's house. Her mother kept telling me to quit just as my own had. One time my friend's dad was home. He showed me a scar he had on his ankle and said that if I kept scratching, I would have scars like that wherever I had scratched.

I don't know that I stopped completely, but he obviously left an impression on me. Thinking on it now, I don't believe his scar was from childhood insect bites. :)

I think my ds had a breakthrough when I explained why the body develops a scab as part of the healing process with a graffic depiction of what can happen to open wounds in places such as lakes and pools. We discussed the variety and types of bacteria that can enter. I am so surprised that it worked because I thought it was a habit that he couldn't break, but he immediately stopped, with only one brief follow up lesson. :) good luck!

Don't know that this will help, but my DS is a scab picker. I told him that I was going to check it every evening before bed. If he had picked at it, I told him he would have to wear his sister's Barbie bandages. I had to do it just once, but he knew I was serious.

the main problem is that they have LOTS of scabs...little ones...most of the bug bites from a recent camping trip....if I cover them all with bandades, he would be one big bandade....I guess I could wrap him all up llike a mummy for a week....now that I am thinking about that would solve some other problems too :)