Menu

WWE, FLL and SOTW without overdoing narration/dictation/copywork

Gailmegan

I just got WWE and was considering buying the workbook. I have my second grader in mind. I have read WTM and understand the concepts for teaching Language Arts. But looking at everything it seems that if using WWE, FLL and SOTW that there is a lot of repetition - all 3 have narration and WWE and FLL have copywork and dictation.

I was thinking of maybe starting the WWE 4 day cycle on Tuesday since Monday is narration day for SOTW, then skipping most of FLL and only doing the grammar parts of it. Or maybe foregoing the WWE workbook and using all of FLL and adding copywork or dictation from history or literature if there are any gaps. It just seems overkill to be doing all that narration/copywork/dictation every day.

Has anyone else thought through how to combine these to be effective without overwhelming?

I was just wondering the same thing myself today. Although I don't have WWE yet, we are using FLL and SOTW 1. In planning out our year I started putting copywork for FLL, and SOTW 1 plus narration I started to wonder if it would be too much. I guess it just depends on your dc. I'm going to wait and see how we do and if it begins to be too much I'll only use copywork for WWE and nothing else. I think narration is important with everything though. Just my 2 cents!

I found this same issue, with the additional problem of also having purchased Writing Tales! Ultimately I decided that between Writing Tales and FLL I had plenty of copywork and with Writing Tales and SOTW I had plenty of narration. The only thing I was still missing was writing and honestly there wasn't any in WWE. So I ended up dropping WWE and just using Writing Tales and FLL to cover our language arts.

Thank you everyone for the input. It's always fun to see how many different approaches there are. :001_smile:

I went through FLL (2nd grade) and counted 34 dictation, 31 copywork and 12 narration. It's not evenly divided week by week, but it averages out in the end. Since I will be doing 2 narrations with history each week, the only thing I would need to add to have all the writing recommended by WWE is one more dictation each week, which I will either include in history based on a narration or I will include in our Bible time by dictating a scripture verse. So I guess I won't bother with the WWE workbook after all.