Menu

The Immodesty Thread

nmoira

I've had enough with the modesty.

I have nursed in public and never once covered up. Half of Portland has caught a flash of flesh. And survived.

I've had a hickey. Maybe two, no more. Didn't cover them up.

I only look down (around strangers) because I have mild social anxiety, not out of modesty. Get me annoyed and I will look you in the eye. And even speak.

The Replacements song "Kiss Me on the Bus"? Lived it. Briefly. Moved on.

I have worn a bikini. A tank top. Spaghetti straps. Gone braless. Commando.

I have been intoxicated in public, and still get occasionally tipsy on shamefully little alcohol.

And I'm not ashamed of any of it.

There. I feel better.

Minor typos fixed.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was given a rather wide shawl from Samoa. Beautiful! I wore it to a birthday party as a wrap skirt...bit of leg showing at times when the side wrap parted slightly.

I'm such a bad girl.

I once told a group of church people to get over themselves when ds needed to nurse and there wasn't a private room. Apparently, it was just too much knowledge for them to have an idea what was under the blanket. As if I didn't have those things PRIOR to the kid or the blanket. My exact words may have been, "Grow up!" But, don't quote me on that because he's now 16, and my memory is slightly fuzzy concerning the incident.

I had a cut on my back that wasn't healing properly a few years ago. Doc suggested it needed some air and sun...was being kept too moist. So, I spent a couple of afternoons outdoors in a bikini top and shorts. The cut healed nicely.

Good thread. Cathartic. I'm with unsinkable on this.

Faith

It's 100+ degrees. I'm not wearing a bra. I'm wearing a cami and a loose tank. I'm not in shape. I'm not perky. It's not a good look for me, but I'm running out of clean clothes. My arms are bare for the whole world to see, and I think, but I can't be sure, they have been recently shaved.

I sat with a man for 45 min today, and chatted with another who came to fix my washing machine. In a few minutes I'm going to the grocery store.

I feel no guilt.

I'm quite sure no one felt any lust.

I've worn a bikini. Quite a little one, actually. :) And I totally still would if I had the body I had then. ;)

I wear tank tops all year round. I wear spaghetti straps sometimes, too. I've been known to show my shoulders in the dead of winter. :svengo: Often.

I wear short shorts. I love short shorts. I've also taken to shorter skirts again as of late, because they are cute and long skirts, in general, are not flattering on me, and I have enough middle-length skirts as it is.

I don't shy away from eye contact, I'm not afraid to dance around and, while my milkshake no longer brings the boys to the yard, it isn't too incredibly bad. :D :lol:

I've never nursed in public, but I've never nursed at all, so that would be why. :p

I've done things that shouldn't have been done in places that they shouldn't have been. :leaving: :blush: :lol:

So.... yeah.

And your point is? If threads on a particular topic annoy you, then scroll on by them. Especially if they are clearly labeled "CC" if you are not a Conservative Christian...

I totally agree. I guess I was mistaken when I thought there were only adults on this board.

Guest inoubliable

And your point is? If threads on a particular topic annoy you, then scroll on by them. Especially if they are clearly labeled "CC" if you are not a Conservative Christian...

LOL

Ooooooooh....this will help those fingers hit the one star button.

My boob actually popped out the side of a tank top once...at college...and because of the weird pressure of my backpack strap, I didn't realize it until a MALE FRIEND told me about it.

What a guy...he said he was enjoying it but thought I needed to know.

One star! One star! One star!

Actually that CC stands for "Christian Content" which is certainly not the exclusive domain of conservatives. Her point is clearly that she has been immodest, has survived and feels no shame about it.

Guest inoubliable

I totally agree. I guess I was mistaken when I thought there were only adults on this board.

It mostly is. Some new adults. Some adults with grandchildren. Some adults who wear pigtails.

Guest inoubliable

Ooooooooh....this will help those fingers hit the one star button.

My boob actually popped out the side of a tank top once...at college...and because of the weird pressure of my backpack strap, I didn't realize it until a MALE FRIEND told me about it.

What a guy...he said he was enjoying it but thought I needed to know.

One star! One star! One star!

I love you. Plastic tassels and all.

It mostly is. Some new adults. Some adults with grandchildren. Some adults who wear pigtails.

I had my hair in cute little pigtails the other day. Actually they were kind of two messy buns, one on each side of my head. I thought it was super cute so made a mental note to add it to my list of 'acceptable hot weather hairstyles.'

Come now. There has to be one thing you could contribute to this thread.

Guest inoubliable

"Crimson" is a little more daring than "Red", right?

I've had enough with the modesty.

I have nursed in public and never once covered up. Half of Portland has caught a flash of flesh. And survived.

I've had a hickey. Maybe two, no more. Didn't cover them up.

I only look down (around strangers) because I have mild social anxiety, not out of modesty. Get me annoyed and I will look you in the eye. And even speak.

The Replacements song "Kiss Me on the Bus"? Lived it. Briefly. Moved on.

I have worn a bikini. A tank top. Spaghetti straps. Gone braless. Commando.

I have been intoxicated in public, and still get occasionally tipsy on shamefully little alcohol.

And I'm not ashamed of any of it.

There. I feel better.

Minor typos fixed.

Isn't this prudish by Portland standards?

I wear tank tops, spaghetti straps (with bra straps showing) and shorts. I used to wear a bikini until dd #3 came along. Oh, and strapless dresses. And some midriff. I do try to dress nicely when I leave the house because I like to look neat. The last few days when I've left the house I've had tank tops on though. I find the heat almost unbearable and sleeves drive me crazy when it's this hot. I probably won't have sleeves until Sept.

And I nursed 5 children wherever and whenever they were hungry.

Isn't this prudish by Portland standards?

Ummm, yes. And thank you for not using the "m" word. :tongue_smilie:

I nurse in public all the time, but I don't consider that immodest. Baby's gotta eat. But I'm pretty good at it at this point, so I don't think anyone is getting flashed. If they did? Their problem, not mine.

I think cleavage is ok. Breasts are pretty amazing (feeding babies and all that). I'm proud of mine; they work hard. So I might even wear a low-ish neckline every now and then.

I was in a sorority in college, so I wore more than my fair share of immodest outfits back in the day. The difference is that I *DO* regret wearing them now that I have grown in my Christian faith. I was very insecure about going from a star student to just middle-of-the-pack and latched on to a new identity as "hot sorority chick". If I'd had more self-confidence, I wouldn't have felt the desire to dress so provocatively.

I must apologize for contributing to the whole modesty thread movement. ( I am amazed at how many threads there have been.)

In the spirit of this thread I'll contribute that I once walked all over the mall in a dress that was absolutely and completely see through! I was with my boyfriend at the time (No small surprise he didn't fill me in, right? :D) I found out when I walked by an entire wall of mirrors and noticed how clearly I could see my underwear and bra. Does that count, even if I wasn't trying for immodesty?

What really kills me is that I had been wearing that dress to high school over and over again and never had a teacher or administrator say a word to me!

I have been living in tank tops and shorts for the last month. Oh yes, spaghetti strap tanks.

I have worn a bikini - even while pregnant with my first two - alas, those days are over.

I nursed in Target while shopping.

You can unclench and enjoy being "hot" with confidence, rather than feeling shame over it.

Too long ago for me to enjoy it now. I did ask Dh tonight if he would rather I wear a modest bathing suit that does not show cleavage. That idea was not met with too favorably. I think he might like to see that dress I posted about.

Sometimes I go to the laundry room to fetch clothes from the dryer or a hanger right after I get out of the shower. There may be some squirrels who have peeked through the little window in our back room and spotted me casually draped in only a towel--or dropping the towel and putting something on right there. (You would think I would fetch things before my shower, but pre-coffee I don't do much thinking at all.)

I wear tank tops a lot.

My current most frequently worn swimsuit is this bottom:

http://www.landsend....mmini/id_247044

with this top:

http://www.landsend....046?sku_0=::71Y

The top comes in bigger cup sizes, which is a plus for holding everything in that belongs in.

I'm sure some people think I'm well past my bikini wearing days, but I don't really care what they think. My dh does not like the matronly look on me.

I have been living in tank tops and shorts for the last month. Oh yes, spaghetti strap tanks.

I have worn a bikini - even while pregnant with my first two - alas, those days are over.

I nursed in Target while shopping.

I have nursed in church.