Menu

Specific Carbohydrate Diet

DebonLI

Hi,

Has anyone with a child on the autism spectrum tried this diet? Did it yield good results? I have a 7 year old diagnosed with PDD-nos who has language delays and sensory issues. I saw another child who benefited from this diet but would like to hear other stories.

Thanks,

Debbie

We're GFCF and were also SCD for a while. Our ds did do better on SCD than on gfcf alone. It's been a while since we were SCD, but improvements I remember include being generally more 'with it.' His bowels improved, and he finally 100% potty trained on the SCD diet. We are no longer SCD, but still find that he does better when he eats more meat/protein and less starches/grains. Diets have not been a 'cure' for our ds, but they have been very helpful and worth the trouble.

HTH

Pam

<><

I am in the middle of spending about 10 weeks preparing for the diet! I'm sure my prep could go faster but I want to learn how to cook thinks my kids will eat before we start. I also want to get past some birthday celebrations and Easter before we jump in. I have done a lot of research on diets and talked with a good friend who has tried 14 special diets for her autistic child over the last four years. She recommends the SCD and has had the most success with it. She's been a cheerleader helping me to implement such big dietary changes.

We do SCD at our house. It is easy once you're used to it and in the pattern.

The results for us are better than on GF/CF. I keep the whole family on it. The 2 spectrum kids just generally do better on it. My dh and I both feel much better when we stick to it.

I'd encourage you not to stress out over it too much. I found great frustration in trying to create substitute foods. Once we stopped trying to recreate things it went a lot more smoothly.

Find what the kids like and let them eat it. They will expand the things they like as they are on SCD. We've done it very strictly for about 18 months and then a little less strictly for another 6 months or so.

HTH

Jen in WI