Menu

I need ideas for a wall timeline. Post pictures if you can.

I didn't take a picture however we used the sewing board idea from Mystery of History. I liked it because it hung vertical rather than horizontal so it took less space and it can be used year after year. I don't know if there is an image on their site but maybe you could Google it and find an image.

If anyone else is confused about what a "sewing board" is, it seems to be a cutting mat they are referring to. I presume they mean the big cardboard ones you can occasionally find and not the self-healing ones.

However, more useful (IMHO) is the "Science fair boards" such as those used in this blog post:

http://trainingchildrenupforchrist.blogspot.com/2011/06/mystery-of-history-timeline.html

We have had several, but the kids really seemed to click with a simple string timeline. We hung up a tight (drapery cord) line from one end of the wall to the other at nose height for the kiddos. The cards were hung up with safety pins. They loved gathering all the cards to one end and then trying to place them in approximately the right location on the string. Sometimes we included dividers for dates/periods, and sometimes not. These were simply hung with safety pins too. It was very easy to add in new dividers or random events as we discovered them, just print and pin.

My favorite feature: it is easy to hide. Simply remove the two ends from their hooks, tie loosely together, and go.

Thanks everyone!

I never thought of those types of timelines; thanks for helping me think outside the box. I was just going to tape some things to the wall, but now I'll consider the string or a poster board timeline.

I thought of doing one in a book, but I think dd will get more out of it if she can see all the elements at one time. It will make it easier to understand BC and AD dates, too.

Anyway, thanks again. If anyone else cares to post, I'll be checking back.

Joann

I use a trifold display board for our timeline in the elementary years. I think it's more helpful at that age to be able to see the big picture. Right around 6th grade or so I switch to a Book of Centuries approach. You can see more about how we do that here at my website.

Awesome. Thanks. I might go for the tri-fold.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't put it together yet, but I have an idea.  I bought two rolls of cork board 2X4' from Office Depot, so when put together it will be a 2X8' strip of cork across my wall.  I'll put on a pretty ribbon for the line and then stick my timeline pictures on it.  I have the timeline from Memoria Press.  The reason for the cork is that hopefully it won't look tacky (but maybe it will), and I didn't want to stick a bunch of timeline cards directly to the wall because we are about to paint and move.