Menu

What do you use to hang posters/maps from the wall?

I just started using the Mavalus tape, after doing a search on here several months ago and seeing it recommended highly. I have only tried it with one item so far, but that item is still up, over a month later. :) It was a construction paper thing with popsicle sticks and more construction paper glued to it, so it's heavier than a regular poster. I did the "tube" thing as Bill suggests (and watched the video :D). So far, so good.

Now my friend said she tried it, and it only held for about 6 months. We'll see if that happens to me or not. That's why I have this one test going. And really, if I just have to rehang every 6 months, I'm ok with that. It's the rehanging every week that would be annoying. ;)

I just started using the Mavalus tape, after doing a search on here several months ago and seeing it recommended highly. I have only tried it with one item so far, but that item is still up, over a month later. :) It was a construction paper thing with popsicle sticks and more construction paper glued to it, so it's heavier than a regular poster. I did the "tube" thing as Bill suggests (and watched the video :D). So far, so good.

Now my friend said she tried it, and it only held for about 6 months. We'll see if that happens to me or not. That's why I have this one test going. And really, if I just have to rehang every 6 months, I'm ok with that. It's the rehanging every week that would be annoying. ;)

I have trouble with the Mavalus tape. It hangs little things fine, usually (like the date cards on our perpetual calendar), but it won't hold anything heavier than that for me (not even for a day). My maps & calendar fell down, as did another small Rocks & Mineral poster. I've wondered if it's because my school room is in the basement. We're in a dry climate, so it's not damp at all, but the walls do stay cool.

A range of things, depending on the wall, and what I am hanging.

I've used a hot glue gun for a map in the closet door and AAR posters in the den. Blu-tack for the Konos timeline and characters that are now on the wall of the den. Sticky-backed velcro loop for interchangable poster walls. Double sided sticky tape for kraft paper to cover atelier walls. 3M foam tape for a corkboard (that didn't last long lol, I never have good luck with 3M). Normal foam tape for corkboard (works okay, it stays there since its using the midway baseboard on the wall to sit on). I've used nails into the faux wood panelling to hold up a string to put art during the year on or cards at xmas time. During DS B'day a couple of years ago I used electrical tape to hold a poster to the panelling wall. And I believe at one point I got so annoyed with the amount of times my dryer checklist fell down in the back room, I tried PVA glue (or super glue, or some sort of craft glue I had sticking around from when I used to do doll re-borning, I don't remember, I was thoroughly at the end of my rope with that checklist and went a bit mad, rofl) to stick it to the wall, and that worked (the checklist is still there, about a year later) that was my last resort and is in an area visitors don't go. I was having to put the checklist back up multiple times a day (that room gets sweaty due to the dryer).

On top of the Paper on the walls of the atelier, i try to use light, flat stuff for sticking posters down (those clear sticky circles or sticky tape mostly) as something like foam tape or blue tack could actually weigh down the paperthe poster is on, making it rip. I also don't put heavy duty laminated posters on those walls, and if I need to do that, I would just remove the paper in a certain area, and attach said poster directly to the wall.

I have trouble with the Mavalus tape. It hangs little things fine, usually (like the date cards on our perpetual calendar), but it won't hold anything heavier than that for me (not even for a day). My maps & calendar fell down, as did another small Rocks & Mineral poster. I've wondered if it's because my school room is in the basement. We're in a dry climate, so it's not damp at all, but the walls do stay cool.

Did you make an x on the back with the tape? I ask because when I first put up a large wall map I only went around the outside. The map came down. Then ( without removing the original tape, I cross-hatched the map with more tape, and the large map has held for years.

Bill