Menu

s/o Weird Things in Your Freezer

Eagle

Today I read a thread that demonstrated how creative people can be in discovering uses for their freezer. (Let's just say it started with a turtle and somehow got worse.)

So now I'm wondering... What oddities do you have in your freezer?

Dear Lord, the first person who has a placenta in their freezer gets a cupcake. These weird freezer/fridge threads always end in placenta.

We have imprints of the dc's teeth. It's something our dentist does. You know, for body identification when your kid gets kidnapped. Cheery, huh? She sent those home and I had the option of being paranoid, or a terrible mother. I went with paranoid.

I currently have a friend's turtle.

I also have 2 dearly loved pet fish. It started when dd was 4. Her beloved betta, Parp died. We buried him in the back yard. About a year later we were moving. She didn't want to leave Parp behind so we had to dig him up. He was buried in a little cardboard jewelry-type box. This was dd's first lesson on decomposition. She was so distraught.

Meanwhile she had acquired a new betta, Angel. Angel died when dd was 5 ish. Remembering what had happened to Parp, she said we had to preserve him. So, Angel's final resting place was a Rubbermaid container. He has been through another move and looks no worse for the wear. :smilielol5: Well, other than the demise of 2 refrigerators. He always froze back up nicely.

My dd is 17 now. So yes, we have been saving Angel in our freezer for 12 years. Younger dd added her fish, Junior, after he died. They share a container.

I currently have a friend's turtle.

I also have 2 dearly loved pet fish. It started when dd was 4. Her beloved betta, Parp died. We buried him in the back yard. About a year later we were moving. She didn't want to leave Parp behind so we had to dig him up. He was buried in a little cardboard jewelry-type box. This was dd's first lesson on decomposition. She was so distraught.

Meanwhile she had acquired a new betta, Angel. Angel died when dd was 5 ish. Remembering what had happened to Parp, she said we had to preserve him. So, Angel's final resting place was a Rubbermaid container. He has been through another move and looks no worse for the wear. :smilielol5: Well, other than the demise of 2 refrigerators. He always froze back up nicely.

My dd is 17 now. So yes, we have been saving Angel in our freezer for 12 years. Younger dd added her fish, Junior, after he died. They share a container.

OMGosh, I'm not even sure what to say!

Dear Lord, the first person who has a placenta in their freezer gets a cupcake. These weird freezer/fridge threads always end in placenta.

We have imprints of the dc's teeth. It's something our dentist does. You know, for body identification when your kid gets kidnapped. Cheery, huh? She sent those home and I had the option of being paranoid, or a terrible mother. I went with paranoid.

Two placentas in mine, cupcake please! :coolgleamA: :lol:

Well, we used to have a guinea pig and a gopher, but my sister stuffed them.

Right now, though, we have hair. Because I wanted to keep some of mine before it went completely gray. It's in the freezer because I'm afraid of dermestid beetles.

For awhile we had a snowball. But it disappeared.

Two quarts of grated zucchini. We've decided we don't like zucchini, so I don't know what I'll do now. I left a placenta in my MOM's freezer for several years when we last moved, and forgot about it until we visited at Christmas and threw it away. That shows true forbearance on her part, I think. :o

Sorry to show my ignorance here, but are you all talking about human placenta and if so why would you keep it in the freezer? Not trying to be argumentative just understand. I've never heard of such a thing!

Sorry to show my ignorance here, but are you all talking about human placenta and if so why would you keep it in the freezer? Not trying to be argumentative just understand. I've never heard of such a thing!

Both boys were born at home. When the midwife asked if we wanted to keep the placentas we said sure and there they still sit in the freezer. Originally we planned to bury them and plant a tree or bush on top, now they have become a funny conversation piece. :laugh:

No placentas, though I've had them a couple times. We gave the to friends to bury in their gardens just before a move. Whoever asked: if you give birth at home, you get to keep the placenta! They're great for rose bushes.

Weirdest thing now is a toss up between pigs feet and a veal heart.

I have a wild turkey beard, foot, and fan in my deep freeze. It's from DD's first turkey hunt, and "we" (this was not my idea) are supposedly going to have it made into some kind of display. I'm guessing it'll still be there when she graduates from high school.

All of our deceased pet rats from the past 4 years: Amy, Bethany, Calli, Daphne, Emily, Farley, and Georgie. Georgie is in a Dove ice cream bar box because she loved to sit in those particular empty boxes while alive (I sacrificially ate dozens of boxes of Dove ice cream bars to keep her supplied with fresh boxes). The box is clearly marked with her name, by the way.

We just moved so nothing strange in mine. The weirdest thing I've seen in someone else's would have to be when I was pregnant with my oldest and living with my SIL and her husband while my husband was away. I pulled out the bottom drawer of their freezer one day to find frozen rats and mice all wrapped individually in clear plastic bags. Eek. They were meals for BILs pet snakes. It made perfect sense....but we ended up buying them a deep freeze for the garage as a thank you for letting me stay with them, lol. I know my SIL was especially appreciative.

I have a headless super hero! Okay like back in 1994, when my oldest was like 5, he got the girl superhero that is supposed to be invisible or something. You put her in the freezer and she went from white to blue or something. So, we moved in 1996 and he insisted she move from that freezer with us. So she did. Sometime between 1996 and 1999, she fell out of the freezer and her head broke off and was lost. We moved again in 1999 and yes... She moved too! Then we moved again in 2008 - out of state this time. She came with. She has been through a few broken and then replaced freezers too. She is still in my freezer and from time to time I see her and smile. She will stay in my freezer as long as I'm still breathing! And I secretly hope one of my kids will rescue her and move her to their freezer when my days are over.

I have a small, stuffed toy penguin in my freezer. About five or six years ago youngest DD came into the kitchen with the penguin and said that the house was too warm for him and he needed to cool off. Occasionally he comes out to play but he always goes back into the freezer after a few hours.

These aren't in there right now, but I freeze paint brushes when I am painting with enamel paint as I hate cleaning brushes with turps. This way I can use the same paint brush for the whole job and then just throw it away at the end. Unfortunately I a tend to take ages to finish DIY jobs, so sometimes the paintbrush stays there for months.

The kids freeze those neon glow stick things - the freezing slows the reaction so they can use them again a second night. Of course, they get forgotten and stay in the freezer for ages.

I have a couple of jars of placenta pills in mine right now, but no unprocessed placentae at this time.

I plan to get mine encapsulated. It's been in there for two and a half years grossing the kids out. We completely forgot to plant it when we were redoing our front landscaping.

You all have me beat! The "weirdest" thing I've ever had in my freezer was several months' worth of pumped breastmilk. (I also stored some in my in-law's freezer, too.)

I noticed your kids are much younger than mine, so I might have you beat on the pumped breastmilk. Hate to admit this, but I have about a half dozen containters of breastmilk in my freezer that is probably 15-16 years old. I don't ever intend to use it . . . just sentamental I guess of a special time. :001_rolleyes:

Ha! I finally deplacentaed (yes, made up the word) my freezer about 2 weeks ago when we planted some trees in the front yard. At least it was done before DD1 turned 7 though. :o There may still be a few placenta pills still in there but those are much more recent.

Frozen mice, anyone? We don't have any in there right now as we don't currently have snakes. Those (especially the "pinkies") always horrified my vegetarian college roommate.

I noticed your kids are much younger than mine, so I might have you beat on the pumped breastmilk. Hate to admit this, but I have about a half dozen containters of breastmilk in my freezer that is probably 15-16 years old. I don't ever intend to use it . . . just sentamental I guess of a special time. :001_rolleyes:

Oh, it's not still in there; it got used up.

The weirdest thing I have had recently are hailstones. We had golf ball sized hail and I was saving them to let the kids cut them open. They have cool rings like the inside of a colorless jawbreaker.

Long term the weirdest would be bugs in jars. I took zoology in college and we had to make a huge insect collection. The easiest way to kill them was the freezer.

The weirdest thing I have had recently are hailstones. We had golf ball sized hail and I was saving them to let the kids cut them open. They have cool rings like the inside of a colorless jawbreaker.

Long term the weirdest would be bugs in jars. I took zoology in college and we had to make a huge insect collection. The easiest way to kill them was the freezer.

I have a neighbor that has scorpions in her freezer. Every time they find one they freeze it. She told me that they will revive if thawed!?! I have always wondered if this is true.

Colostrum from cows, just incase a calf was born and something happened to the mother. I heard a story a few years ago about a man who kept his deceased mother (died of natural causes) in his freezer to keep collecting her checks. Creepy man... now in jail.

Yes, human.

When I had my first homebirth it just seemed....wrong I guess...to throw the placenta away. I had grandiose ideas about planting it with a tree. Or making a placenta print. Or something cool. But I never did, and it still seems weird to throw it away. Then I had another kid....and so now there are two.

Nothing so exciting as pets or body parts, but we have keys (important keys, one of which was lost for over 15 years - it had not been kept in the freezer at that time!), passports, other important papers. I had a friend who said she need to call the lawyer after a power outage because her will defrosted! :smilielol5: