Menu

Modest Clothing NOT Dresses???

CyndiLJ

OK Hive, I spent the entire day shopping in our nearest mall which is an hour and a half away, and came away almost empty handed for our daughters. I need help! We are all three so frustrated!!

They are not dress girls...at all. Yet they are very modest. For example, they will not wear a traditional bathing suit, even a one piece, without shorts. One daughter found a triathlon suit that had the longer legs and far more coverage on the top that finally felt comfortable to her. We are looking for clothing that is moderately priced as we just can't afford the more expensive stuff. Our "wish list" includes: No tight fitting tops, no low neck (crew neck is far preferred), no sleeveless (prefer boy tshirt length sleeves but will do a little shorter), nothing tight in the bust, no tummy showing...no layering. Really, can't we just find simple, cute tops that don't show everything? We currentl do polos which are OK, but we'd like a little variety with cuter patterns. Jeans and slacks we can usually find, but tops are killing us!

Any and all suggestions are so appreciated! We do know about Land's End, and can do their sales sometimes, but it is a bit pricey.

I was going to say watch Land's End for sales, but you're doing that. Since I'm not growing anymore (up anyways) I tend to buy 1-2 new shirts, etc. at the end of every season when they are clearancing things out. You may be able to buy a size or two up for yoru girls at that point.

Sometimes you can find good stuff at 2nd hand stores, but it's hit or miss.

Other than that it really is hit or miss, in my experience, at major stores. I sometimes have luck at Kohls or even gap/old navy (we have the outlets near me).

Walmart has simple T's for about 4 bucks. They could accessorize a bit--will they do a pretty necklace or a scarf?

Is layering too hot? Dd sometimes wears a modest tank top but ties an over blouse at the waist. You could do the same with a T underneath.

We have found some things at Kohl's and JCP, but it's hard.

And Rosie, we had a hard time finding even one button up blouse in a size two at our stores! Thrift stores, however, had several. Go figure.

Seriously, no button up tops. Checked EVERYWHERE and thought I was going crazy as that ought to be easy. Layering could work, but we are already at 98 degrees this week...just too darned hot. Also, the tank tops we found were all very low cut.

Part of our problem, I think, is fit. Both of our daughters are very broad shouldered, making it difficult if we do stumble upon something halfway decent. To fit their shoulders, things end up being far too large in the tummy.

Ugh...just ugh. I hate shopping for clothes in the first place, this is way harder than it should be!

I was at Kohls the other day and was thinking I see less and less I like for women of ANY age. However, I did a quick search, thinking I saw a few things that might work....

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1348378/mudd-space-dyed-top-juniors.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1248599/mudd-abstract-smocked-bottom-top-juniors.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1089934/princess-vera-wang-heart-button-front-top-juniors.jsp

Not sure any of those tick ALL the boxes, but perhaps a start. Also try under the women's section.... They do have more modest options than juniors sometimes. Good luck.... Have to admit, sometimes it's easier having a boy who doesn't give a hoot about clothes. :)

My dd is very modest. For the beach she will wear board shorts, rash guard top with sportbra type bikini top underneath for support. I think we bought that online at swim outlet.com.

Much of her reg wardrobe comes from Target. She has tanks and t shirts she layers, with button up shirts. Be sure to check clearance racks. Shorts have come from Target, but also sporting goods stores. Hiking shorts tend to be longer.

One place dd never looks for clothing is the junior section in any store. She will look inthe women's, men's and boy's sections, but not juniors.

Have you looked at the Danskin line of athletic wear sold at Walmart? Cute colors, tapered fit without fitting like a glove, no need to layer, different sleeve lengths, economical (cheap price but still last), and they work for broad shoulders. They seem to carry mostly solid colors, but occasionally we've found styles with a little more interest like color blocking or print inserts.

Here are some lightweight printed shirts from ON:

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=26195&vid=1&pid=523139032

Some linen-blend tunics. The pink one is pretty:

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=26195&vid=1&pid=387892002

3/4 sleeve boat neck tops:

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=26194&vid=1&pid=686591042

You can wear any of those with jeans.

Have you thought about buying the stuff available and altering it to fit your needs. Buy the shirt that fits the shoulders and then resew the side seams to take out the excess material at the waist. Buy a low cut t-shirt, then add lace or trim to make it not low cut.

It is a great skill to learn especially if you have difficulty finding clothes to fit.

I can't speak to shopping for teenage girls, but I have broad shoulders and pretty much the same preferences, and a closet full of Eddie Bauer T-shirts. Maddeningly, they seem to have discontinued the crew-neck version of their 'favorite T,' which was pretty much my favorite shirt EVER. I am not at all crazy about the scoop-necks; however, the notch-neck might be OK -- I haven't tried that yet.

I have a long Champion T-shirt that I got in the athletic section at Target, and I've seen similar ones at JCPenney. I don't think about T-shirts being immodest if they aren't super tight or low cut, so I'm still not sure exactly what the issue is with normal T-shirts that you can find everywhere.

Wal-Mart has very simple button up shirts. Different sleeve lengths. They are "V-neck", but the 'v' is really shallow on most of them. I've had a few for years - they actually hold up quite well.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?Find=Find&_refineresult=true&ic=16_0&search_constraint=0&search_query=button+shirt&cat_id=5438_133162

I just saw a bunch of cute (long sleeve) button down shirts at Target, and Old Navy has them, too. I agree that the juniors section is likely to have less o the modest, classic styles. Did you not find anything at Sears or JCPenney?

Another idea is to check out websites that carry retro styles, which are often modest. Like www.modcloth.com, www.shopruche.com, and www.downeastbasics.com.

HTH.

How old are they? I only see one DD in your signature.

If they wear women's size clothes and you want a few tank tops for layering (for when it's not so hot out), Shade.com has tank that have a higher neckline. They have free shipping and free returns.

Layering can be a solution. A lot of the girls' shirts are made thin with the intention of layering nowadays. A camisole/tank with a longer torso paired with a T-shirt or other top with actual sleeves can be the way to go. Capri length pants and longer shorts are still popular, the problem is usually rise--which is where those long tanks/camis can come in handy as well.

Wear a sleeveless tank backwards and the neck will be higher and layer with another tee. Shopping for teens takes time. Don't give up. You will eventually find the places that work best for you. We don't have much shopping in our area and dd found that TJMax was her best option.

If they wear women's size clothes and you want a few tank tops for layering (for when it's not so hot out), Shade.com has tank that have a higher neckline. They have free shipping and free returns.

Do you have a link? I'm not getting a valid webpage from shade.com

Do you have a link? I'm not getting a valid webpage from shade.com

My right click is broken and I can't find my mouse. :tongue_smilie:

It's www.shadeclothing.com

I like the regular tank (in the layering basics section). I haven't tried the Modal Tank but from the description I was afraid it might be thinner. I can wear the regular tank alone and you can't see through it.

Gap have button up blouses. They seem to have huge sales about every 5 minutes too and discounts if you sign up for their newsletter online. They have some in their kids line and loads of choice in their womens line if your kids are big enough to wear the womens sizes.

I, too, was going to say to watch Land's End for sales, but you are already doing that.

Our daughters are younger than your two, but my oldest is getting into the larger sizes (depends on what it is). I agree with you, modest clothes are hard to find!

Some ideas:

• Purchase a brightly colored, "thick" T-shirt at a craft store and embellish with an iron-on, tie-dye, sewn-on lace, or fabric paint.
  • Purchase a nice woman's blouse in size Extra-Small.
  • We have found some XS night shirts for women, and they work great as night gowns for my oldest.
  • Purchase a button-up blouse and wear a cami or tank underneath.
  • Around the house (or a simple errand), we like wearing hospital scrub tops (my husband works in the medical field and got us started with these). A woman's XS or S might fit a teen girl, and they come in many brightly-colored patterns and solids. I have found the V-neck to be very modest. These hold up like steel! Wash, wash, wash, and none of my scrub tops have ever held a stain nor faded. They just get softer with age, LOL.
  • Find a simple pattern for a pullover top and make a few tops in various fabrics. (That sounds like more work, doesn't it? I have found, though, that sewing the same pattern builds momentum -- the third top goes faster than the first, KWIM?)

HTH.

Part of our problem, I think, is fit. Both of our daughters are very broad shouldered, making it difficult if we do stumble upon something halfway decent. To fit their shoulders, things end up being far too large in the tummy.

Could you put in a simple tuck on each side of the shirt, to reduce the fullness of fabric around the tummy?

In order to "find" clothes to fit my girls, I have to amend just about everything. ;) I'm kind of resigned to it now, LOL.