Menu

Are credits given for Driver's Ed?

I could put Driver's Ed down as an elective or under awards. I'm thinking of putting it down as an elective and saying it is a P/F class with no credits. However I just realized that my kids are required by VA state to do 36 hrs of classroom work plus the driving with us (ETA: 45 hrs worth) plus 2 wks of driving with an instructor... (much more that I ever had to do). It made me pause and wonder if schools are now giving credit for it since they require so much?

I just looked and our local public schools do not give credit for it but it is part of a physical education and life skills class that they get 1 credit for completing.

How do you enter Driver's Ed on transcripts?

We didn't. I haven't seen it on any transcripts around here, homeschool or otherwise. Those requirements sound very similar to our state requirements (and then they have to have 50 hours of supervised driving on top of that.) Since it is not required to graduate and has little or no bearing on whether one would be a successful college student, it would never occur to me to put it on there.

• Like 1

Agree, I don't really like the idea of listing it as an award either.

I think it shows where some of their time has gone.. it basically adds up to another class in time. (36 + 45+ 14 = 95 hrs ... hmm so about 1/2 a class in hrs) Without it he might have been able to spend more time on other classes or taken another elective. I agree that it's not the same bearing on their success as a college student as some classes, but then again neither are some other electives like home-economics, basic phys ed, pottery, etc. I think I will give 1/2 a credit for it after-all. He is putting the hours in by viewing the videos, doing the book work, doing the 'lab' work, etc. All the requirements are from the state so showing that he took it and passed means he completed a set of requirements and passed the tests. Sounds like a good thing to show on a homeschool transcript.

I definitely wouldn't put it in the awards section. That just sounds odd.

The ps doesn't give credit for it around here and they didn't even back when I was in high school (although they did when my sisters were in high school, 10 years before I was). I wouldn't bother with putting it on a transcript.

I don't plan to. In our area, college prep students would tend to take it at a commercial school or in a public school instruction session that is outside school hours. In my mind, it detracts from the academic focus I'm trying to get across with the transcript. I'm also not planning to put multiple credits of PE on the transcript, even though I have competitive athletes. Not everything that takes time needs to be considered as a school subject, imho.

• 8 years later...

I think that it would be most logical and fair to make it count towards credits because it is a class like any other, you learn the modules, you write the quizzes and need to pass the final exam, that sounds like a class to me so why isn’t it being treated like one, it is only fair for it to count towards credits. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ditto said:

I did give my teen 1/2 credit for Driver's Ed.   Between the class work and the driving portion it came to 36 hours.  I fully believe she should get credit for that, she worked very hard!

Old thread but might be helpful 

36 hours is barely a quarter (0.25 )credit if you go by Carnegie hours. It barely makes a dent in the amount of credit needed. For our state it was 40 hours of driving not including reading etc. and still I didn’t count it because my students has more than necessary. 

• Like 1

I never saw a reason to include it but many homeschoolers I know do. We do lots of things that take up time but don’t make it onto the transcript. My kids always have plenty of strong academic credits and there is just nothing drivers ed is going to bring to the table as a course or an activity. 

However, a couple of my kids were very bad drivers and required lots of instruction and practice. If we had counted hours for credit for learning to drive a couple of mine would have had several full credits. Hahaha. 

I think, like most everything, it depends on the kid. For my very academic students, I would not include it because it adds nothing.

For my youngest, who may be less academically inclined in high school, I wouldn’t rule-out rolling Driver’s Ed into a larger life skills type of catch-all credit that might include First Aid/CPR, personal finance, etc.

In our state, Driver’s Ed is taught privately and has nothing to do with the schools, so it definitely does not go on transcripts.

I know it's a really old thread. And when the thread started originally my oldest had her license for short amount of time. 

If it helps with my looking back at what I did for my oldest.  We thought it was needed to be on transcript for insurance discount. don't remember if that was the case, or if I just thought it was.  eventually the good student discount was accepted with ACT score, and then college grades or something.  So, did it count as semester? 30 clock hours plus the between the wheel of 50 hours was easily a semester credit earned in summer school on transcript.  (Middle daughter has some disabilities and didn't get license until after high school was over.) 

wasn't needed for any academic reason, nor to have enough electives, etc....  can see no reason to have it as an award or extracurricular either.

any insurance needs will be varied by state and company. Rules about getting license without formal driving school vary too widely from state to state. Some places don't even offer this in public high schools.

take away multiple years down the road: check with your insurance if they have documentation preferences. if not, then probably not worth it to be on transcript in majority of cases, and not something on portfolio  or EC lists, or awards.  just one opinion