Menu

Best destination for a 25th anniv. getaway?

Wendi

Our 25th anniversary will be in three years. I was just thinking that, if we're going to do something really special, we need to start saving NOW. Where would you go for a once-in-a-lifetime romantic trip? Would you pick a famous spot, or a place that's more special to you and your husband?

My thoughts so far:

UK (would love to see England, and I'm part Scottish and long to visit there as well)

Prince Edward Island (beautiful, and again my heritage)

Italy/Sicily (beautiful, historic, and dh is half Sicilian)

Hawaii (many people have raved about it!)

Costa Rica (beautiful, dh loves surfing and this is a popular spot for it)

Any ideas for me? I figure we need to have some ideas where we'd like to go, and what it will cost, so we can save up for it.

Since it is an anniversary trip, I would try to have it include some romance. But truly it depends on your preferences, so do you like site seeing, shopping or relaxing while on vacation?

If you just want to relax and have a romantic time, then I wouldn't travel to Europe. I would find a very beautiful and luxurious place more locally. Spend more money on the hotel and less on the travel.

If you like the adventure of travel and making memories from site seeing, then Europe.

Most of our vacations are of the relaxing type - beach or mountains. We've never been to Europe. We're both interested in history and would love to go to Europe. I know it wouldn't be the same as lounging on a beautiful beach for a week, though! (But we usually go to southern California to the beach every summer, so it's not like we'd never get to do that.

Ah - now see - I feel romance on a cold northern beach in a cabin snuggling by a fireplace :) Or in the snow....

Anyway - we've gone to Hawaii twice (15th - a regular trip, and 20th was a cruise) and LOVED it. That can be as adventurous, as relaxed, and as romantic as you want to make it. It truly is beautiful there.

We've taken a trip down the PCH spending the night along the way and stopping at state parks, etc.

We've gone to Healdsburg, CA and stayed in a small inn, wine tasted, hiked, etc.

We went to Disneyland...

They've all been romantic :)

You gotta bring that with you, lol.

Anyway - all of the above look fantastic. Go somewhere you can both stay busy and interested. I think I'd pick Costa Rica or Europe if I were choosing from that list for our next trip.

Think about places where you both feel relaxed and truly away from "reality". Places where no one can find you unless it is a "real" emergency. Places that are likely to be "happy" places for both of you.

Dh and I are going to Antigua for our 20th, but we are taking the kids.

By out 25th everyone will be grown and have flown the nest, God willing, so I think I will start saving now for a 2 person vacation.. To me, discovering new places and things together is fun and romantic, and DH is an art lover. I think we might go to Florence and they spend a couple of days in Tuscany.

Ideally, I suppose, the destination should have a mix of sightseeing and relaxing. I know if we go to Europe, it'll be hard to relax, because there will be so many things to see that we likely would never have a chance to see again. So we'd do a lot more sightseeing than just relaxing. I think that'd be okay, because like I said, we go to the beach in southern California every summer, so we do get to lay around on the beach. We also go up to the mountains in the winter, and at various times of the year to hike. So I'm leaning toward someplace once-in-a-lifetime. I'd love to go to Asia or Africa, but both of those would be even more expensive, and probably not my dh's first choice. (He'd love the places I listed above, though.)

I have a hard time making a decision, because I am one of those people who wants to travel basically everywhere! I just love seeing new places, experiencing new things, history, natural beauty, all of it. I'm interested in how people live in different places.

Ideally, I suppose, the destination should have a mix of sightseeing and relaxing. I know if we go to Europe, it'll be hard to relax, because there will be so many things to see that we likely would never have a chance to see again. So we'd do a lot more sightseeing than just relaxing. I think that'd be okay, because like I said, we go to the beach in southern California every summer, so we do get to lay around on the beach. We also go up to the mountains in the winter, and at various times of the year to hike. So I'm leaning toward someplace once-in-a-lifetime. I'd love to go to Asia or Africa, but both of those would be even more expensive, and probably not my dh's first choice. (He'd love the places I listed above, though.)

I have a hard time making a decision, because I am one of those people who wants to travel basically everywhere! I just love seeing new places, experiencing new things, history, natural beauty, all of it. I'm interested in how people live in different places.

Do you need to travel at a particular time of year? Maybe you can narrow it down that way.

Our 25th was 18 days ago. Since my dad had open heart surgery, dd had emergency surgery, dd got married, and dad had lung surgery all since April 24th and dad is just now to the place I'd even consider and overnight trip and that would still need to be within a couple of hours of home, we opted to wait to officially celebrate next year. Dh is taking me to New Zealand and we are looking at November of 2014 hoping that the spring weather there will be fine.

We are taking middle ds to Iceland in June 2014. To be honest, everything I see and read about that country makes it seem like the best romantic getaway for us. Of course, dh and I are science geeks so the ultimate would be to see the aurora borealis there, whale watch, and take a gander at some volcanoes!

Faith

Our 25th was 18 days ago. Since my dad had open heart surgery, dd had emergency surgery, dd got married, and dad had lung surgery all since April 24th and dad is just now to the place I'd even consider and overnight trip and that would still need to be within a couple of hours of home, we opted to wait to officially celebrate next year. Dh is taking me to New Zealand and we are looking at November of 2014 hoping that the spring weather there will be fine.

We are taking middle ds to Iceland in June 2014. To be honest, everything I see and read about that country makes it seem like the best romantic getaway for us. Of course, dh and I are science geeks so the ultimate would be to see the aurora borealis there, whale watch, and take a gander at some volcanoes!

Faith

Can one see the Aurora Borealis in Iceland in June, Faith? I thought that there was too much light at that latitude in the summer months.

My dh and I are celebrating our 30th with a week-long stay at a remote cabin on the water...

We rarely do much to celebrate anniversaries, but this seems like a big one. Life has been rather chaotic for quite awhile, so we are really looking forward to a week of just the two of us, with no distractions...

Anne