Menu

Do you balance the work load over the course of a week or do you front load your week so that at the end of the week you have fewer subjects to do? What do you find works best for you? This last year we front loaded our weeks most of the time, but this year with my middle kid adding more subjects I am worried that our days will be super long. But I really like the idea of the week getting lighter as we go! I can't decide. Probably should step away from the planning for awhile, that might help! LOL Thanks!

I just planned our first 6 weeks out and we have a heavier beginning of the week. My son has piano on Thursday afternoons and Friday is our standard playdate afternoon. So, we find we get more accomplished and more motivated at the beginning of the week. Friday we also do Art, Critical Thinking and Poetry with Math. That's it on Fridays. We school 6 weeks on 1 week off.

Monday through Thursday, we'll do math, grammar, writing, science, and history. I'll also introduce the week's vocabulary root on Mondays. On Fridays, we'll do grammar, fun math (games and books), science, and geography. Saturdays are for art or music. Sundays are for catechism. Well do light Latin around bathtime and read-alouds during lunch.

I like everything spread out.

Monday is light because of an early class

Tues-Thurs are heavy

Friday is our artsy day and catch-up day

Except for Mondays, I no longer allow classes or appointments during class time. Last year I insisted on math, writing, and history getting done 4 days a week. That rule kept me from stressing out about not getting enough done.

Monday is easy day. Meaning we do stuff that is "easy" on mummy's brain, and that eases us back into the week.

Tuesday is getting down & dirty. Its when we do most of our "requires more head thinking day".

Wednesday is geared more toward the younger two.

Thursday is geared towards my oldest.

Friday is art & movement (PE/Sports) day.

Really Monday-Friday look similar in checklist format (except friday is missing extra academics and is plus art/movement), its just the content of the lessons I teach change.

So there is still math & LA everyday, so for example I'll show you what they look like throughout the week.. Monday, its math & LA light, no extras, basics. Tuesdays we get deep into a topic, Wednesday I'll concentrate more on the fine motor & sensory for LA, and younger concepts for math, Thursday I'll concentrate more on the LA challenges & older math concepts, and Friday is Math art & for LA I concentrate more on the arty/movement side of it. We'll race/zoom around making letter shapes, or the one the kids are currently excited about is I am putting up phonogram boards outside, and getting them some water squirters, so they'll get to "shoot" the phonograms for review.

We hit it hard M-Wed. Thur is library/co-op in the afternoon. Friday is wrapping up the week, off to the park after lunch if we get it all done.

Mornings are always home, packed with the basics. Afternoons are hist/sci/art/co-op/etc...

I keep our days fairly even. We usually have a couple subjects that alternate days, like science and history. What i find helpful is to have it planned so that if a field trip, illness, etc. comes up, a 4 day week doesn't have us splitting week long lessons (such as spelling or WWE).

Well, my kiddo is in high school so that may color my answer and we're heavy into languages, writing, great books, sciences,and math so that may color my answer, as well.

For the course load, type of focus and rigor, daily attention is required for most stuff. We've played around with other kinds of ways but as we've gotten to hs, every thing everyday.

It wasn't like that in the younger grades, though.

This past year, my dd10 eased into Monday with more together stuff, then on Tuesday I nannied so she worked independently, on Wednesday and Thursday we did our "regular" routine, and then Friday she had science class in the mornings. Every week, she had the opportunity to complete all her work during M-Th so she'd have Friday afternoons off. It took a few months but she finally got to a point where she was regularly completing her work earlier in the week.

This year, we'll have co-op on Tuesdays, but probably no nannying (though maybe a different day? I'm not sure yet). All our routines will be different, as my other two will also be home fulltime with us.

There is nothing regular about my life. My husband works a crazy rotating shift and isn't home often. I plan by the day and we try to get as much as we can done that whether it is Saturday and we start at noon or a Tuesday starting a 8. It is crazy but we have never been able to be normal :p

My plan for next year is to do co-op on Tuesday (all day event) and have a long day on Wednesday to introduce all the new rules and words for the week and to get our brainstorming and outlining for IEW done. Then the next two days we will be practicing what we learned and the last day of the week should ideally be a lot of testing (which I do to encourage them to memorize). We will probably school on Saturdays and take Mondays off for cleaning, music lessons, and catching up on any grammar or writing assignments we missed in order to be ready for co-op. They also have to have their presentations prepared for Tuesday. So, it is looking like it is a front-loaded week with the beginning of our week at home actually being Wednesday. I don't have our outside activity schedule for music and possibly art yet so I'm not totally sure yet....