Menu

Ohio to Texas - Places to Stop and Resources?

beaners

We have a vacation coming up. We're trying to find a couple nice stops on the way there and back, but nothing that takes a whole day to appreciate, if you know what I mean. We're going through Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, and the entire length of Texas.

I'd also love links to any good printables about those areas, or the US, or just for traveling in general. I've made little 3 ring binders with pouches of coloring supplies, and I have some coloring/workbooks and pages. I'm looking for a few more things to hand everyone sporadically along the way to keep them occupied. I don't have time to go shopping or get anything delivered, so it needs to be printable!

If your kids are playground age you need to stop at the Woodland Discovery Playground in Memphis. It's a really incredible and innovative playground. I know a playground doesn't seem like a worthy stop but this one truly is amazing.

Some other stops to consider are Mammoth Cave which is not too far off the interstate in KY, the Clinton Library in Little Rock, and the diamond park in Arkansas although it's a bit off the interstate. There is also a Mississippi River museum in Memphis. One time we stopped at a swimming lake jus off the interstate in Arkansas. The kids really enjoyed that.

Which highway will you be taking in Texas? Are you traveling down through Cincinnati and into Louisville, Kentucky? There are a lot of good stops there.

One thing we do is print out a map of the us, the one with just the postal abbreviations, and watch license plates. When we went to Myrtle Beach we found 31 states and 3 provences. Mostly it was me that was finding them and I ended up occupying myself. :laugh: Anyway, they color in the state when we find it. We would always cruise through the parking lots of any place we stopped to try to spot them too. Pipe cleaners and tin foil creations are fun and not messy too. You can google project examples and directions. Have fun!

If you have dinosaur lovers in your crew, Dinosaur World, off I65 in KY, is pretty good. There is a great walking path for stretching legs. It is a touch pricey, IIRC, but not completely crazy.

There are a bunch of other attractions in that area as well, but as Punk is fixated on dinosaurs that is the only one we ever visit! :p