Menu

Quick! Am I overreacting?

AlmiraGulch

It's completely possible, and my husband sure thinks so.

My dog (yes, this is about my dog again....sorry) is sick. He's not eating properly (he ate once in 2 days, where he usually eats 4 times in two days), isn't really drinking water, and is completely lethargic.

I took him to the vet yesterday and they examined him and did blood work. Everything came back normal except that he's anemic. She said he doesn't seem to be in pain and so her biggest concern is tick-borne illness. I haven't seen or felt any ticks on my dog, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have had one and we missed it. He's short-haired and we are very physical with him, but still....it could happen. She said she'd recommend feeding him this canned food for a week or so to see if he improves and, if not, then run that panel.

Today, he did eat the canned food, but:

1. He wouldn't get off the bed this morning. My husband had to pick him up and when he put him down, he yelped. This is my dog who never yelps, cries, barely barks...nothing. He slept in the exact same position the entire night, so maybe his foot fell asleep or something? I don't know, but he eventually walked fine.

2. He was very hesitant to go down the stairs, and very slow to come back up them.

3. He got back on the bed as soon as he came back upstairs and hasn't moved. That was about 9:00 this morning. It's now 2:45.

4. His lips and ears look pale to me. They're usually pretty pink but today they don't have much color at all. They're not completely white, but definitely not as pink as usual.

I'm worried. I posted the other day that he has separation anxiety and chews things when we're not around (he is back in the crate now when we're gone). I'm concerned he got something I don't know about and may have a tear internally or something. Even if it isn't that, I know the vet said he'd be fine for a week but I'm not convinced. It's really completely out of character for him to act this way.

At this point I'm ready to take him to the emergency vet. My husband thinks I'm overreacting, but I don't think his regular vet was particularly thorough (even though she's very nice) and I don't have a lot of confidence in her. DH is concerned about the expense, which I completely understand.

Am I overreacting and should just listen to the vet and DH and wait it out? Or should I follow my gut and take him in? If something is really wrong and I wait too long I'll never forgive myself. If nothing is wrong, I'll be out a good chunk of money unnecessarily.

Instead of an emergency vet, could you take him for a second opinion at a regular vet? Probably less expensive than an emergency vet. I would be worried too. My doggies have all typically bounced back quickly after an illness or surgery. I hope your fur baby is on the mend!

Edited: First I'd call your regular vet and update her on how he is today.

The examination fee at my ER vet is totally reasonable. It's the tests they run that get expensive. They'll do everything your regular vet will do, xrays and a bloodwork panel. I'd call the regular vet back and say you are seeing no improvement, but things are getting worse and you're worried he's getting sicker. Ask what additional tests they can run. However, if you aren't confident with your vet, then you should either change or take your dog to the ER vet and hope it isn't way more expensive than a regular vet. Do you know anyone who can recommend their own vet? I think I remember you're in GA? My vet rocks, but is in Cherokee County.

Ok, so my DH came home from work to take the dog to the regular vet. He called first. The vet said again that if the dog was eating, pooping, and could still walk around, that we really would be better off waiting. She said that we had to give him some time, just like with humans.

I was not happy, but DH talked me in to giving it through the evening and promised if he didn't seem better we'd go to the ER.

I have no idea how or why, but he is much improved. He ate dinner. He is getting color back in his ears and gums. He even played with his favorite chew toy a bit.

Did I mention I'm not a vet, nor do I play one on TV? Per the vet's suggestion, we'll continue to monitor him and if he's still improving we'll just go back for the follow-up appointment next week.

This dog is going to be the death of me. I swear this is worse than it ever was with my human children!

Seems pretty scary to me. I'd consider a second opinion at a new vet if feasible. The pale gums and painfulness seem worrisome. Seems like there might be abdominal bleeding or a bleeding tumor or something scary like that. I don't know that I'd wait on the tick-borne-disease panel. I'd do it right away and also probably some imaging (ultrasounds +/- x-rays). Of course, that'll cost a bundle. :( Dh is a vet, so I am a little insulated from the costs since we can do things and our out-of-pocket costs are fairly limited. Still, those seem like pretty critical symptoms. If they recur or seem to worsen, I'd like it worked up pronto.

Honestly, I would bring the pup to the vet for an X-ray even if pup seems to be getting better. The anemia was caused by *something* and I would have the same worry as you about internal bleeding.

Pup could be feeling better because whatever it was they ate isn't in a painful spot anymore.

Honestly, I would bring the pup to the vet for an X-ray even if pup seems to be getting better. The anemia was caused by *something* and I would have the same worry as you about internal bleeding.

Pup could be feeling better because whatever it was they ate isn't in a painful spot anymore.

You're right. It isn't. I know because he just vomited up an entire antenna from a walkie-talkie type thing.

I guess you'd call it "vomit". Maybe I should say he "expelled" it, because it's all that came up. Nothing else. No liquid or normal....you know....vomit. Just the antenna. And now he seems 100% normal again.

I'm really mad because I asked specifically that they check to see if anything was stuck in his digestive tract or throat, even if they needed to do x-rays. The vet said she didn't think it was necessary for whatever reason. He seemed uncomfortable when he tried to eat or drink, as if bending his head down was painful. He did eat and drink when we elevated the bowls.

You're right. It isn't. I know because he just vomited up an entire antenna from a walkie-talkie type thing.

I guess you'd call it "vomit". Maybe I should say he "expelled" it, because it's all that came up. Nothing else. No liquid or normal....you know....vomit. Just the antenna. And now he seems 100% normal again.

I'm really mad because I asked specifically that they check to see if anything was stuck in his digestive tract or throat, even if they needed to do x-rays. The vet said she didn't think it was necessary for whatever reason. He seemed uncomfortable when he tried to eat or drink, as if bending his head down was painful. He did eat and drink when we elevated the bowls.

I was going to suggest an x-ray but see you figured it out. It sounds similar to what happened here recently. The culprit was part of a corn cob. No symptoms for weeks. Then, he started vomiting off and on and got lethargic. Finally, he projectile vomited and we spotted the piece of corn cob. This was at least a month after eating it because that was the last time we'd had corn on the cob. He's fine now. I'm glad your dog is okay. How scary!

Wow. Just wow.

I would definitely follow-up w/ a different vet & get an x-ray or sonogram or something so they can verify that he didn't tear anything &/or doesn't have any internal bleeding.

I would be tempted to pop that antenna in a zip lock baggy and go wave it in front of the old vet's nose and ask if she thought the X-ray you requested might just have lit up on the piece of metal your dog just vomited up.

Then I'd take antenna and dog to a new vet.

I am glad he expelled it, but I have to know - where's the rest of the walkie talkie?

Omg, omg, omg!

Whoa, buddy!

Definitely time for a new vet. I hope your dog continues to recover well!

Yep, new vet. I was going to ask you if she had checked to see if he had eaten something, checked either by palpation or by x-ray, because the symptoms sounded like our doggie who ate an acorn and got it lodged. It was a very expensive acorn by the time they did surgery to remove it. Gaah!

I'd have a new vet thoroughly check him over with the anemia and concern about a puncture or tearing in mind. Poor baby! Best wishes!