Menu

Do you think choosing your child's education is a right?

PeacefulChaos

Or a privilege?

Or is it a right but not one of the fundamental human rights?

Just thinking. A friend and I were talking about that one case - Romeike? I guess it was? - the other day and I said I don't necessarily disagree with the decision that was made to send them back to their country (though, I will admit, I am not well versed on the case because I became SO sick of hearing of it) because I'm not 100% sure it's a fundamental right to be able to homeschool one's children. I'm thankful to be able to, but I'm not sure it is something that we have a basic human right to.

Don't assume I'm a terrible person or anything. I'm just sort of undecided on the issue.

What are your thoughts? I don't really care about that case in particular, just used it for reference.

A fundamental human right. Parents have a basic fundamental right to decide how their children should be educated. And parents have the responsibility to see that education happens (whatever "education" means in their particular societies).

Whose responsibility would it be if not mine? The government's? If it isn't the government's responsibility, then why should the government have the authority to tell me how my children should be educated? Or to put it another way, why should the government have the authority to tell me that I cannot teach my children at home?

I think it's a right.

My reasoning: I am 100% responsible for my children's education. Regardless of how they are educated (public school, private school, homeschool, etc.), I am responsible for the outcome. If I send my child to public school, and he/she graduates without learning how to read (for example), I am responsible. The school may have grossly failed to educate my child, but as the parent, I am still responsible for that outcome. Since I am 100% responsible, I should have the right to choose HOW to educate them.

I think homeschooling is a right but not a fundamental, inalienable one. I also find it for myself to be a privilege and an honor. I think parents have a responsibility to provide every child with an education which allows the child to continue their education as they see fit as a young adult. I don't believe I personally have the right to substitute my opinions for historical facts or take my children out of school before the end of high school level course work (especially in the three Rs) or the legal drop out age. Just as I am not allowed to furnish my child with insufficient food or clothing, I feel strongly that I owe them the very best education I can offer them.

I think a child has a fundamental right to an education. Parents should not be allowed carte blanche freedom to neglect their child's education under the guise of "homeschooling". OTOH, homeschooling should be legally permissible unless educational neglect can be proven in court.

Similar to discipline or nutrition, the parent should feel a moral duty and has the right to choose the method. However, there are limitations on that right. The line gets drawn where the children are hurt to an unacceptable degree.