Menu

If you subscribe to the multum non multa philosophy....

how many books do you do for literature for a high schooler? How about an 8th grader?

I have a list for my 10th grader and 8th grader. I love the selections, know they would be able to read them all... but I know we would get more out of spending more time per book vs. reading many. It's hard to narrow things down and choose only a few of the many books I want them to be exposed to; especially since my girls aren't big readers, and I know they wouldn't pick up these types of books to read on their own.

Thoughts?

Can you make some of the books required, but not require them to do anything other than read them? I do that with books I want my kids exposed to, but I just don't have time to study them in depth, and I don't think they'd pick them up with out being assigned. My oldest just finished 8th, and I did that this year with him. He is going to a brick and mortar school next year for high school, and there were some books I wanted him to have read first, but I didn't have time to study them all with him. So for some I said "read these" and just asked him what he thought, some I said read these and merely required a one page summary to make sure he understood it, and some we went over more in detail.