Menu

Awwww! Molly the American Girl doll is being retired. :-(

unsinkable

I really hate how they retired the older historical characters. I don't like the newer ones at all. I think that their clothes and accessories are mostly pretty ugly, compared to the now-retired dolls. I also don't think it makes sense as a business move... what about all the mothers who desperately wanted Kirsten, Samantha, or Molly... and totally would have bought them for their own daughters?

I really hate how they retired the older historical characters. I don't like the newer ones at all. I think that their clothes and accessories are mostly pretty ugly, compared to the now-retired dolls. I also don't think it makes sense as a business move... what about all the mothers who desperately wanted Kirsten, Samantha, or Molly... and totally would have bought them for their own daughters?

Oh, I see you have 2 little girls. You could get Molly now. They hold up well. Just don't give your DDs the accessories yet...or only give the older one them in controlled situations. Like let her play with the accessories at the table or something.

It's too bad that the dolls that started the company are gone.

I disagree with this move too. Those dolls and stories are timeless and don't need to be retired.{sigh}.

Molly looks just like my DD - right down to the hairbraids and glasses.

I've only bought DD a couple of AG dolls and I've always let her choose which one. I keep wanting her to pick Molly, but she never has (Rebecca and Marie-Grace). She doesn't play with the AG enough to warrant the purchase of any more; alas I guess Molly is never meant to be for us.

Molly was always my favorite as a child. I looked just like her - braids, glasses, same school outfit right down to the knee high socks and patent leather shoes. My dd has chosen Kit for her next doll. I think I'll get Molly as well - before she's gone for good.

Dd predicted this the day Samantha got the axe. I am so sad that she was right!

Mattel has really trashed the company, IMO. I think it's their goal to completely remove any redeeming educational quality from the brand. Gosh! We wouldn't want young girls to actually learn anything or find history interesting, would we?

They also said on FB that they have more historical dolls than they'd ever had.

Dd predicted this the day Samantha got the axe. I am so sad that she was right!

Mattel has really trashed the company, IMO. I think it's their goal to completely remove any redeeming educational quality from the brand. Gosh! We wouldn't want young girls to actually learn anything or find history interesting, would we?

I thought this article was interesting. http://www.theatlant...anymore/275199/

A few other sites took that point and went further:

http://boingboing.ne...-from-adve.html

http://www.thejanedo...ot-interesting/

I like this one best I think: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2013/05/01/even-more-terrible-things-are-happening-to-the-american-girl-doll-brand-than-you-thought/

I had several of the historical dolls as a kid, including 2 I bought with my own babysitting money, and I have to say that article made me realize why I've been growing less comfortable with them. My older daughter still doesn't have one, though I had planned to buy her one by now. I LOVED the history, which at least provided a veneer of purpose behind the expensive accessories. Now it's just entirely expensive accessories. And, as I said above, I don't actually find the clothing or accessories pretty. I used to dream about having Samantha's dresses for myself... now I have no idea who designs their clothes, but I just think they're so ugly!

I am sad too! My dd was not that in to Molly at first. It was her 6th doll she got of only historical girls. But after watching the movie over and over and reading the books it is one of her favorites. She is just so darn cute with her glasses :)

Do they give a specific date you can buy them until? She wanted Kaya for her birthday next month, but I guess I will buy Emily before time runs out.

My DD resembles Molly. She only has one AG doll right now (Caroline) and she doesn't play with her all that much. I'm wondering if I should get Molly for her and put her away until she's a bit older. I've always like Molly....I think because she looks like DD6.

I am an Amercian Girl Doll purchaser enabler. :lol:

We get in to the store and it is a nightmare of indecision ;) When my dh finds out we are going to the store and I say we are not getting a doll, he is like yeah right ;) He knows I get weak in the store...lol. I am an enabler, because I so want her to have all the historical dolls. Whenever she waffled and considered McKenna and Saige, luckily she redirected to the historical girls. They just have so much more character and charm!

That totally blows. I may buy a Molly for my niece but I almost feel there is no point in giving the brand any of my money. I never got an AG doll as a child (might has well have asked for a rocket ship because of the high price point) but I read all the books and loved the stories and the characters. It seems the reading element has been all but stripped from the AG line in favor of fashion and fluff.

:scared: I love Molly she was my absolute favorite. I begged for her every year for my birthday and Christmas but she was way out of my parent's price range. I wish I had a little girl so I could (kinda) justify purchasing her.

I bought Molly for me ;)-I never heard of AG dolls growing up (I'm guessing I was too old), but Molly is the doll I would have given anything for as a little girl. My DD picked Kaya. I figure this way, we have a spare doll when DD has a friend over-and I have the doll I want.

But can't you just see it on the horizon? In 10 years they will re-release the retired dolls for a limited time and a higher price. It's all about marketing, which has proven that it's all about supply and demand. People will rush to buy something they think they can't get any more. Just ask Disney, who is about to re-release The Little Mermaid from the Disney "vault" yet again . . . right about the time the Fantasyland expansion with the new Little Mermaid ride opening. I don't imagine that retired means forever with AG dolls, either.

Molly is the one AG doll my daughter has, other than a Bitty Baby. My mom got her Molly because she had glasses and brown hair just like my dd, plus Molly was the doll from my mom's era. Glad we kept Molly and what few accessories we had accumulated.

With regard to clothing and some accessories, I did not buy most of the clothes for dd's doll from AG. I bought them from an online seller that specialized in clothing to fit the AG dolls. We got lots of the historical clothing and shoes and a few accessories for significantly less than AG. I'm sorry, but it's been 5 years since I've made a purchase so I do not have the store or link anymore. Anyway, look around there are sources for these things other than mattel.

There are a lot of sellers on Etsy who do wonderful historical outfits and accessories. I'm the cheap mom-Kaya gets to be in ALL sorts of historical (and not) situations-somewhere, I have a photo of Kaya in DD made armor, jousting on Steps High ;).

My dd has a very early (pre-1990) Kirsten (also retired) and we have sadly found that the dolls have "slimmed down" over the years. Our Kirsten does not fit into the clothing sold now:( This is something we wished we knew before dd spent her hard-earned money on some outfits on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the AG store..... We didn't find that they didn't fit until we were hours away from the store. I have been mad ever since. Luckily, her great-grandmother sews and has made roomier outfits for her.

My dd has a very early (pre-1990) Kirsten (also retired) and we have sadly found that the dolls have "slimmed down" over the years. Our Kirsten does not fit into the clothing sold now:( This is something we wished we knew before dd spent her hard-earned money on some outfits on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the AG store..... We didn't find that they didn't fit until we were hours away from the store. I have been mad ever since. Luckily, her great-grandmother sews and has made roomier outfits for her.

Oh my goodness, how odd. I never would have guessed.

Barbie-zation. It's Mattel after all.

Oh my goodness, how odd. I never would have guessed.

Yeah. Me neither. I figured they never changed. I should have asked a few questions when I got "scolded" at the AG hair salon for "letting" my dd play with a "collector's item." Huh? I cannot imagine anything more sad than my dd's Kirsten being put in a box and never played with.

After doing some research, we learned that they did indeed used to be a little more ample around the middle and that they were hand-stuffed so the dolls varied from one to another. That was before they started making the more form-fitting clothing so the variations did not matter so much.

Too bad about Molly, but I'm stoked because they just released a doll science lab set complete with microscope and test tubes! You can't tell me that's not awesome. My daughter and I are working on making a series of doll outfits dressed like famous female scientists so they are still going to get some money from me. :)

I saw this on Facebook this morning...and promptly went to the AG store this afternoon. My middle DD has been wanting Molly since she was three, and had to get glasses. I almost got it for her this year for her birthday, but decided she wasn't quite old enough to care for her. I guess I'll be holding on to her until next May!