Menu

All the hype about antiperspirant being bad for you -- is there some validity to it?

and she won't wear deodorant or anti-perspirant. She said after use see enough "cysts" (don't remember what she said the lumps were) cut out of peoples pits you just want to be careful. She uses a salt deodorant. I have used it also and it seems to work really well.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I don't know how much of the hype is real, but I went natural recently. I've been scrubbing my pits with baking soda in the shower. If I know I'm going to get sweaty or nervous, I sprinkle on a talc/baking soda mixture before I get dressed. I don't think I stink, but I haven't asked anyone. :-) I also don't sweat very much anyway.

I used to get lumps from conventional (aluminum-containing) deoderant when I was a kid and tried numerous things. I haven't used it for years now and don't smell, but I eat all organic, lots of fruits and veges. If this little girl is smelling so much, they need to work on her diet. If you eat right, you shouldn't smell. My friend who lives in China said the people there don't smell, and deoderant was unheard of where I was in Russia, even with hard-working people. I'd look at what the girl is eating, get her to eat more fruits and veges.

We stopped using antiperspirants years ago. Our doctor recommended it. His simple explanation (which makes total sense to me) was that one of the major ways your body gets rid of toxins is through the skin and sweating. Antiperspirants stop the sweating.

was disproved some time ago.

I don't worry about it. I'd have to spend my days in a padded cell to avoid all the things that are going to kill us at any second these days. I take what I consider to be prudent precautions about things that make sense to me, usually concerns that have been born out through several well-conducted studies.

I notice that despite the constant outcry through the Internet and media about the product-of-the-day that is going to kill us all, people are for the most part living longer than ever, and then ultimately, the death rate is still the same as it's always been - right at 100%. I figure I'll practice moderation, enjoy my life while I'm alive, and at the end, no matter whether I wear antiperspirant or not, I'll die.

Michelle T, who warned you all she was turning into a cranky middle-aged lady!

and she won't wear deodorant or anti-perspirant. She said after use see enough "cysts" (don't remember what she said the lumps were) cut out of peoples pits you just want to be careful. She uses a salt deodorant. I have used it also and it seems to work really well.

I use something similer.... I call it the rock *Ü* I have to get it wet just a tad.... but it works great! In fact, my teen daughter is now hooked... it has no oder and leaves no residue.

It is called Crystal body deodorant stick. I get it wet like I said and then rub it up and down about 15 swipes on each pit... :D

You know, if I were like most people I know, I wouldn't wear antiperspirant either. It is not really about smell for me. I sweat like crazy -- when I'm hot (which is most of the time) and when I get nervous (which is about anytime I'm around most people). I can rarely wear a shirt -- it has to be a undershirt with another shirt, like a button-down one. I can never wear anything like silk because I'll stain through it.

It is so very embarassing! Even antiperspirant is not enough to stop my soaking. In the winter, I only wear it if I am going somewhere.

My dad sweats a lot and so does my brother. My mom never sweats. Oh how I wish I were like her.

I don't know about the hype of antiperspirant being bad for your health. I swtiched from regular deodorant because of even the unscented seemed to clash with my body chemistry.

I recently started using Lavilin, it's a deodorant but not antiperspirant. It works well for stinky me, no residue on my clothing, and is aluminum free so I am happy.

"So, the Alzheimer's Society of Canada states: Most researchers no longer regard aluminum as a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease."

I have to laugh when I see that someone has "proved that ______ is no the cause of" whatever disease, yet they can't tell us what does cause it.

How can anything be stated as not being a risk, when no one can tell us definitively what does cause it?

I live in Arkansas, where it is hot as he** right now, so if I didn't wear anti-perspirant, I would have nasty wet armpits, just like my 7th grade science teacher~ ;)

Not attractive or conducive to keeping friends, so I'll take my chances with aluminum in my armpits during the summer.

That said, I try to use a natural deodorant in cooler months, unless I'm going to be working up a sweat.

You definitely have to pick your battles and decide individually what you are going to avoid or limit.

I agree that we'll all die eventually, I'd just prefer to not go out miserable and sickly......

Dawanna

Well, I've used it for 30+ years and have never had a problem with bumps or anything. I need it because I hate being sticky. My arms stick to my side, and pull away when I move, and rub and chaff, and it's painful and miserable.

I know that some people have a problem with it, and can't use it. But, I don't agree that they should then make a blanket statement saying that everyone should stop using it. I say, if you have a problem, stop using it. If you don't have a problem, and you like the positive effects, then use it. Everyone is different.

I have a sensitivity to sodium laureth sulfate (in shampoo and shower gel). It causes my scalp to hurt and my hair to fall out. I can't use it. But, that doesn't mean that I should start a campaign saying that No One should use it. I just find an alternative for myself, and try to spread the word to others who may have similar sensitivities. :o)

I have to laugh when I see that someone has "proved that ______ is no the cause of" whatever disease, yet they can't tell us what does cause it.

How can anything be stated as not being a risk, when no one can tell us definitively what does cause it?

Believe me, as a biostatistician, I am MORE than aware that you can't disprove correlation/causality/relationship. That is not at all what the Alzheimer's Society is saying. What they say is

• Although there's been much research into the connection between aluminum and Alzheimer's disease, there's no conclusive evidence to show a link. The disease appears to develop when the combined effects of many risk factors, including age, genetics, lifestyle and environmental factors, overwhelm the natural capacity of the brain to deal with them.

If you do 10/50/100 well-designed studies and NONE of them can show a relationship, my tendancy is to assume that there isn't one.

Alzheimer's looks to have very complex etiology and it has been difficult to tease out causal links. That being said, I worry a lot more about the fact that my grandmother had it, and that my mother shows early warning signs. Antiperspirant? Not so much.