Menu

Tell me it's crazy to think of buying a packaged curriculum for next year

Halcyon

Really the only boxed curric I could see using is OM, and I can't afford it anyway. I'm still violently attracted to curric packages, however, and every year fight down the urge to get one.

Well, so far I have gotten 4th on the cheap. Of course, I bought it from a used curriculum forum and haven't received it yet, so I am a little concerned.....

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so I have purchased OM6 and OM4 used, for pretty good prices. I haven't received either yet, but I am really excited. Leaving DS10 to his own devices this summer has been a very interesting experience. He of course does the requisite bit of Minecraft, but in addition he has learned how to make paper hats, learned how to knit (!!!! He's surprisingly good!), done a lot of zentangling and drawing, helped a LOT with the chores around the house, particularly the outdoor chores, and in general is more relaxed and happy. I hope that OM will allow us to draw out this side of him more, by focusing on the creative side of his brain (right? left? I always get confused LOL) 

He has recently declared that he wants to be a journalist, and when I told him that obviously involves honing his writing skills, he replied "Well, I like writing, I just don't enjoy all the direction that WWS gives me." Hmmmm. We'll see if we can work with that sentiment a bit. 

Okay, so I have purchased OM6 and OM4 used, for pretty good prices. I haven't received either yet, but I am really excited. Leaving DS10 to his own devices this summer has been a very interesting experience. He of course does the requisite bit of Minecraft, but in addition he has learned how to make paper hats, learned how to knit (!!!! He's surprisingly good!), done a lot of zentangling and drawing, helped a LOT with the chores around the house, particularly the outdoor chores, and in general is more relaxed and happy. I hope that OM will allow us to draw out this side of him more, by focusing on the creative side of his brain (right? left? I always get confused LOL) 

He has recently declared that he wants to be a journalist, and when I told him that obviously involves honing his writing skills, he replied "Well, I like writing, I just don't enjoy all the direction that WWS gives me." Hmmmm. We'll see if we can work with that sentiment a bit. 

Once again, I can totally relate! Miss P taught herself to knit & crochet too this summer, too.  She's also making little doll thingies out of scrap material, and she's even sold a few.  She puts away the dishes without being asked, and she took on the complete cleaning and reorganizing of her room, which now looks like civilized humans live in it!  All on her own!! Maybe this maturing thing will happen after all . . . ;)  :D 

She's also been on a re-reading jag this summer, she has re-read about 20 books that she's read over the past two years, and I love it - I remember reading favorite books over and over again when I was her age.  So, even though we've done a lot less "schooly" stuff than I had hoped, it's been a great summer so far.

She has had a similar feeling about writing, too.  She likes to write, and doesn't normally resist it, but she got all dready and unhappy about WWS last year.  We took a break and did other writing, which was good.  But after exploring other programs, I'm still feeling like it has the best instruction for where I want to get to.  It's just that doing it week after week, 4 days a week, it starts to feel so, I don't know, relentless??  I can see that we need to schedule breaks after each section, rather than trying to power through.  With the WWS2 release being delayed (and I'm assuming that will spill over into future years, too) it's probably just as well. . .  

Can't wait to hear what you guys think of OM!

I'm so excited for you! I was thrilled to get my OM package last month. (We're starting OM 3 and 5 after the move.) If you need the supplemental craft items or books, I have found many of them cheaper at Rainbow Resource than anywhere else.

I'm so excited for you! I was thrilled to get my OM package last month. (We're starting OM 3 and 5 after the move.) If you need the supplemental craft items or books, I have found many of them cheaper at Rainbow Resource than anywhere else.

Thanks! We do need some craft stuff-I've been looking at joann's online and they also seem to have great prices. 

Thanks to this thread, I'm pretty sure I will be ordering OM2 & 6 in the very near future.  Eclectic hasn't been working for ME because I haven't been disciplined, nor organized enough to plan ahead and keep us on track so we seem to be getting further and further behind.  For now, I'm thinking boxed is the way to go and OM is that box.

One of my main reasons for homeschooling is so that the kids can BE kids.  I think OM will help me accomplish that.  I'm off to play with the budget now. :)

Thanks to this thread, I'm pretty sure I will be ordering OM2 & 6 in the very near future. Eclectic hasn't been working for ME because I haven't been disciplined, nor organized enough to plan ahead and keep us on track so we seem to be getting further and further behind. For now, I'm thinking boxed is the way to go and OM is that box.

One of my main reasons for homeschooling is so that the kids can BE kids. I think OM will help me accomplish that. I'm off to play with the budget now. :)

This is one big reason why I would like to try it too. I just don't know how it will work long term, if at all, for a very asynchronous boy.

Thanks to this thread, I'm pretty sure I will be ordering OM2 & 6 in the very near future.  Eclectic hasn't been working for ME because I haven't been disciplined, nor organized enough to plan ahead and keep us on track so we seem to be getting further and further behind.  For now, I'm thinking boxed is the way to go and OM is that box.

One of my main reasons for homeschooling is so that the kids can BE kids.  I think OM will help me accomplish that.  I'm off to play with the budget now. :)

Oh, I will be SO interested to hear what you decide and your thoughts when and if you receive OM. We are scheduled to receive OM 6 today and I am on pins and needles waiting for its arrival.

Organization is not a problem for me; more of a problem is my tendency to continually pile on work, to the detriment of my children's experience of CHILDhood. I hope OM will guide me towards a more realistic and HOLISTIC understanding of their schoolwork. I also think, given how much more I am working now outside the home, that it will be easier to have a spine like OM to work with.

We shall see!

This is one big reason why I would like to try it too. I just don't know how it will work long term, if at all, for a very asynchronous boy.

Younger is asynchronous as well: ahead in writing, math and reading, but still a young boy who loves projects, hands-on work, and doesn't need or want to be pushed too hard. I am going with OM 4 as opposed to OM3, and I hope this solves the problem. I will still add in other things, like Lively Latin and KISS grammar, but expand the hands on components. 

My own personal problem is that I tend to undervalue the hands-on, crafty components of homeschool when time is tight, much as I enjoy them. I am hoping OM will keep me on track. 

Thank you Halcyon for sharing your journey!  It is very inspirational.  I just wished I opened this thread AGAIN before I purchased my school books for the year.  I might have just ordered OM, too.

But you also gave me lots to think about this coming year and how I should go about implementing it.  Please keep us posted. :)

Thank you Halcyon for sharing your journey!  It is very inspirational.  I just wished I opened this thread AGAIN before I purchased my school books for the year.  I might have just ordered OM, too.

But you also gave me lots to think about this coming year and how I should go about implementing it.  Please keep us posted. :)

You're very welcome! I will definitely post more once we use OM for a while...and I will post my initial thoughts when I receive it, too!

Organization is not a problem for me; more of a problem is my tendency to continually pile on work, to the detriment of my children's experience of CHILDhood. I hope OM will guide me towards a more realistic and HOLISTIC understanding of their schoolwork. I also think, given how much more I am working now outside the home, that it will be easier to have a spine like OM to work with.

Younger is asynchronous as well: ahead in writing, math and reading, but still a young boy who loves projects, hands-on work, and doesn't need or want to be pushed too hard. I am going with OM 4 as opposed to OM3, and I hope this solves the problem. I will still add in other things, like Lively Latin and KISS grammar, but expand the hands on components. 

My own personal problem is that I tend to undervalue the hands-on, crafty components of homeschool when time is tight, much as I enjoy them. I am hoping OM will keep me on track.

Reading more at swimming today. The more I read, the more I think it will suit your purpose well. It really is a lovely curriculum. Pros and cons, yes. But it does appear to be exactly what you are wanting. I wish I had my hands on grades 6-8 though... :lol:

Reading more at swimming today. The more I read, the more I think it will suit your purpose well. It really is a lovely curriculum. Pros and cons, yes. But it does appear to be exactly what you are wanting. I wish I had my hands on grades 6-8 though... :lol:

I have heard 6-8 is really good. I can't wait til I get Grade 6 today or tomorrow-will post thoughts. 

Oh, and I have now finished reading through OM4. I still don't want to influence your opinion, but I do feel comfortable sharing that, overall, I love it. Really, I do. Is it as rigorous as our regularly scheduled programming? No. But it is thoughtful and, yes, holistic. For a plethora of reasons, I doubt that OM will work for us (blending 3 kids into one program because I just can't work 3 OM levels; kids are happy with what we're doing; particularly DS10 gets a bit  :ohmy: when he sees me eyeballing new curricula; wrong history sequence for the level that might be worked up and down; yadda, yadda, yadda...).

If I used it, I would still supplement it in places, and I would definitely work with the kid(s) to schedule it in a daily format. If I had two kids, I would probably give it a whirl. If I had one, it would be 99.9% likely to be a done deal. As it stands, because I feel so much of what is right with OM is a fit for my kids (totally the way they lean as people), I now plan to incorporate a lot of the spirit of it into my plans for next year. I have some thoughts on that. (I took copious notes. :lol:)

But, really, I love it. I'm surprised, actually.

Oh, and after more reading of OM, I now  know what I really want. It is WTM and OM who should have a baby! SL would make the perfect doting grandparents, always there with an open lap to pull the grandkids into for a good read. Can't you hear SL now? "Come here, sweetheart, let me tell you a story..." :D

Oh, and after more reading of OM, I now  know what I really want. It is WTM and OM who should have a baby! SL would make the perfect doting grandparents, always there with an open lap to pull the grandkids into for a good read. Can't you hear SL now? "Come here, sweetheart, let me tell you a story..." :D

:hurray: :lol:

:toetap05:

I thought surely you were posting to say you had received OM6.

Poor me.

:nopity:

;)

Actually, I DID get it, just found the box sitting on my doorstep when I returned from work. I am going to read through them tonight, once Ive had a nice cold beer (er ahem I mean cup of tea) and will post back asap!

Okay, brief update. Having only perused the books for about an hour (and this would be OM6--ancient civ/english, Basic Life Sciences, and the TM) I feel really good about my decision. I need to spend more time with the books but not tonight. THings that jump out at me that I really like: the variety of writing assignments, the variety of hands-on crafts, the year long project of making your own world map, the vocabulary (we will use Caesar's English along with OM, but I like the word choices, and DS needs to work on his vocab). The grammar is basic, yes, but the review will be good and I like that they require DS to write out his own sentences (for example, write 10 sentences using antonyms, including both antonyms in one sentence. This will be good for him). The science is good for us. We always do lots of science reading anyway, but this will serve as a nice guide, and encourage him to study certain basic areas which I know he has gaps in (for example, right now he likely understand black holes and quarks better than he does the anatomy of the cell, or the order of animal classification, but he still needs to know these more "basic" things.) I like the projects. No, there doesn't seem to be any formal labs, but despite our best efforts we rarely do 'formal' labs, so perhaps this tack will serve our needs better. As expected, art is incorporated throughout all subjects, which is a positive for us. We shall see, however, whether I am idealizing this aspect: we all know how challenging it is to "make a ziggurat out of clay and paint it" in the middle of a busy school day. Or is that just me?

Also, there is a fair amount of review for us as we did Ancients this year. By mid-year, however, OM moves on to the Middle Ages, which is an area we haven't delved into as deeply as I would like. 

Okay, more to come. 

Okay, brief update. Having only perused the books for about an hour (and this would be OM6--ancient civ/english, Basic Life Sciences, and the TM) I feel really good about my decision. I need to spend more time with the books but not tonight. THings that jump out at me that I really like: the variety of writing assignments, the variety of hands-on crafts, the year long project of making your own world map, the vocabulary (we will use Caesar's English along with OM, but I like the word choices, and DS needs to work on his vocab). The grammar is basic, yes, but the review will be good and I like that they require DS to write out his own sentences (for example, write 10 sentences using antonyms, including both antonyms in one sentence. This will be good for him). The science is good for us. We always do lots of science reading anyway, but this will serve as a nice guide, and encourage him to study certain basic areas which I know he has gaps in (for example, right now he likely understand black holes and quarks better than he does the anatomy of the cell, or the order of animal classification, but he still needs to know these more "basic" things.) I like the projects. No, there doesn't seem to be any formal labs, but despite our best efforts we rarely do 'formal' labs, so perhaps this tack will serve our needs better. As expected, art is incorporated throughout all subjects, which is a positive for us. We shall see, however, whether I am idealizing this aspect: we all know how challenging it is to "make a ziggurat out of clay and paint it" in the middle of a busy school day. Or is that just me?

Also, there is a fair amount of review for us as we did Ancients this year. By mid-year, however, OM moves on to the Middle Ages, which is an area we haven't delved into as deeply as I would like.

Okay, more to come.

Good update! Thanks! I'm happy to hear that some of my gripes about OM4 are improved at some point before OM6. By changing these things, they showed that they recognized the omissions and revealed them as purposeful, developmental choices instead of oversights or just their protocol for certain subjects. For instance, there is no vocab in 4th grade (there is a note about vocab beginning in 5th). I am also happy to see that they have the kids writing their own sentences for grammar. One thing I had mixed feelings about in OM4 was that the syllabus frequently called for the kids to ask their home instructor to write 5 sentences for this, a paragraph for that, etc. I'm like, dude, I already did 4th grade! Kidding. Sort of. :tongue_smilie: I say mixed feelings about that because I could see how one of their big goals was encouraging relationships (student/material and student/teacher). Doing this sort of work in partnership would definitely encourage that. The trouble (for me!) is that I picture doing everything in triplicate. :lol:

Anyway, your initial impressions are good to hear! I'm happy for you! I don't know that you need to worry about the clay ziggurat situation (although, yes, I get like that too). With the ages of your kids and the fact that the curriculum is written directly to them, it's a good time to talk about choosing well for themselves (what can be easily managed on their own with minimal help, will the amount and quality of their learning be commensurate with the amount of effort extended for any particular project, etc.). I'm getting to this place right now and feel strongly that this is the time for some lessons in practicality and using thoughtful judgment. This is good stuff for them to learn.

This thread has been exhilarating for me. Thanks! :lol:

Okay, I called. Maybe I didn't ask the right questions, but I'm still confused. I was basically directed to the sample lessons, which I've already read.

I asked on the FB group and they told me first grade, which IMO would not be right for DS.

I'm torn between 2nd & 3rd. DS is EG, working on SM 2B, we started MCT but are now on a break. Started reading at 2, I would say reading fluently by 3. the reading would be way below level on either grade, but the writing seems right at 3rd grade.

He has fine motor delay, which is what is drawing me to this. He also hates anything school related. Lol. I want something fun. I'm not concerned with rigor necessarily, but I want what we are working on to be appropriately challenging.

I plan on doing project based learning as well, perhaps I should just roll with that and scrap the OM idea? Idk. I have the hardest time figuring out what to do with him. I love the idea of OM, but I keep passing it by because I don't know where to place him.

My thoughts would be to stick with 2nd grade, continue using SM and focus on upping the challenge if need be. You can also order the books and return them, minus shipping, if they don't look right. I haven't received om4 yet, but I think it will be the right fit, almost, for Ds8. Like your son, he is advanced in reading and math, so am will stay separate. I do think you will find om2 to be a good fit: not "challenging " in the sense you or I might be used to, but holistic and, most importantly at this age, enjoyable. Especially if he likes crafts, which my son definitely does.

Based on what I am seeing, it looks easy to increase or decrease the challenge, as need be. The spine is great.

Then again, until OM hit 4th grade, I found it too basic as well. By 4th grade, OM gets more challenging, is more directed to the student, and it is easier to mix and match. Perhaps that is why I kept putting it off, until now, when I felt both kids could do "above 3rd grade" levels. If you look at 4th, you'll definitely see a difference in approach.

I'm leaning toward 2nd grade, if I take the leap to this. We have only been doing the 3 R's, so he hasn't had much science or history at all.

I definitely think the science and history will be great for him, then. And the crafts. If you can find it cheap, I would do math and reading on your own, and keep all the rest of OM: history, science, art, crafts,.....I do think SOME of the math looks engaging, particulalry the section on place value in the sample. So cute!

Having lived with a bunch of highly/profoundly gifted males and also knowing their equally gifted friends, I've noticed a real need for them to experience developmentally appropriate holistic experiences, and maybe actually MORE of a need for them.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/lol.gif

I missed this the first time through. This is exactly what speaks to me about OM.

I occasionally get these spasms where I want to use a packaged curriculum like Oak Meadow(I know others on this board have similar daydreams...."oooh pretty package...all in one box.....all planned out......sigh...")

Here's the deal, and once I have laid it all out you tell me what you think.

For older: he needs less "rigor" right now. Don't know for how long. Perhaps 6 months, maybe more. He is entering 6th, and s ahead is every subject, so I think it is okay to back off for a while. He will obviously still be learning, whatever route we choose, but I am trying to approach next year wi a more relaxed attitude. Also, I am working more, and cannot do parent intensive schooling (and by this i mean thati am pulling him along when he is not emotionally or psychologically ready for the work his intellect can handle). For his sake, we need to re-inject joy i to learning, and for him, that also means doing more "light" work, playful work, crafts, hands on projects like building, sewing, designing.

Regardless of what we choose, we will continue Latin, but using a less intense approach. He will be attending a Music and Science coop with his brother next year for one full afternoon, where he will be doing physical science, music theory, guitar and piano.

Iam looking at Oak Meadow, which would be a major departure for us. I mean MAJOR.

For younger..I just don't know. He is advanced academically, but does not enjoy being challenged EXTERNALLY (meaning he challenges himself in amazing ways, but does not like to be pushed by others)and prefers to spend his time on his "own thing", which is right now running a doll repair shop for his stuffed animals (and his friends), learning to sew, writing minecraft mods, and drawing comics. He has always been an avid reader, but seems to be uninterested now except for Calvin and Hobbes and Peanuts. School is something to be endured so he can get back to his "stuff". So I don't quite know what to do with him, and am unsure if we should just approach school as a "get her done" proposition, or if should try and re-engage him in school on different terms.

I also have a confession: for the last month or two we have really eased up with school and i am finding again the true pleasure of my children's company, particulalry the older who has once again become the loving, funny and easy going child he truly is. And easygoing is the key word here. HE is easygoing...._I_ am not. Crucial difference there! I need to find a curriculum or an approach that works with his personality, which is not as intense as mine (and that is a very good thing!) he appreciates a challenge, for sure, but truly doesn't care about "performing" or being "the smart kid". Wen he does poorly on a test, he doesnt hold onto it, kwim? he just says, oh well, i better study that material harder next time. no big to-do.

At the same time, I want to continue to expose him to challenges, but on different terms.

Thoughts?

When I think about going box, the one thing I notice I'm drawn to is that they have plans that are all put together.  I'm not familiar with OakMeadow, but my guess is that it isn't all self-written plans.  Which means they took an eclectic selection of books or resources, put them together, and simply added bound lesson plans.

So, do you want a boxed curriculum or do you want bound lesson plans with what you know already works for you?  Because if it's the latter instead of the former, I'd do that.

I really don't have any answers at all, I just wanted to say that your OP really resonated with me, and good for you for seeing this and thinking about how to move forward in the way that's best for your family. I've been reading two books that have really been speaking to me, and you might like them if you haven't read them already: One is Free Range Learning http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/193538709X and the other is Simplicity Parenting http://www.amazon.co...,stripbooks,288

Let us know what you decide and how it works for you! Off to drool over OM again . . . http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/drool5.gif

I just wanted to say, I LOVE Simplicty Parenting. (And I completely forgot the author was a Waldorf guy until this thread.) SP is my favorite parenting book, and I've read an embarrassing number of them. I have Free Range kids saved for later on amazon, maybe I'll buy it next week while my kids are at camp. Another book I think speaks to what we are all talking about, in a way, is Boys Adrift. He has a section about boys being pushed academically, being allowed to work with their hands, etc.

Sorry, I'm reading this thread in chunks and completely out of order it seems. Lol

Anyway, your initial impressions are good to hear! I'm happy for you! I don't know that you need to worry about the clay ziggurat situation (although, yes, I get like that too). With the ages of your kids and the fact that the curriculum is written directly to them, it's a good time to talk about choosing well for themselves (what can be easily managed on their own with minimal help, will the amount and quality of their learning be commensurate with the amount of effort extended for any particular project, etc.). I'm getting to this place right now and feel strongly that this is the time for some lessons in practicality and using thoughtful judgment. This is good stuff for them to learn.

I agree with that--very valuable.   Though for your purposes amount of learning may need some balancing with fun and enjoyment of doing a particular project.  I am not sure the amount of learning from arts and crafts type projects is equal to the time and effort, except as one chooses to give value to the arts and crafts as an activity in their own right.

If you pick out some things like the clay ziggurat, you could have some dry runs of how to deal with that sort of thing.   How to decide what project to do, and having decided, how to go about doing it and CLEANING UP afterward.  I know my ds would have no trouble making and painting a clay ziggurat on his own, but the problem would likely be the mess that would be left from that.  And that is its own whole learning curve to figure out what the clean up will take and to leave time for it too.  

The other thing I think would be useful as a pre-OM start dry run, would be to go through what each boy does when it says ____ in his OM guide. For example, when it says to go to Math lesson, what do they do exactly, and when it says grammar, what do they do exactly, and when do they work in their Latin (maybe that would go in place of half of  the OM  grammar time, with KISS for the other half--or thirds with OM itself to take part?).  And if they have problems that need you, what should they do--like go get you, or save those up for later and move to something else, or check some other book or ask each other or ...what exactly.   This would help to have them be independent as much as possible while you work.  It would also help to make sure you are not piling OM as an extra on top of an already full regular schedule, but instead are working in the other things within the OM framework.  Unless you do that, I think you will lose what you wanted from OM as making for a more CHILD like learning year.  OM is  a full time school program, and the arts and crafts part are part of that, not supposed to be on top of a full day of more writing oriented work.  So something like a clay ziggurat is probably supposed to get an hour, maybe even more of the day, with the child able to be immersed in the experience, perhaps for its own sake of involvement in the claywork, not because he will necessarily learn more about history from doing it, and not worried that he will then have schoolwork till midnight if he does that, because he will still have an hour of Latin, and hour of other more academic history, etc, etc, not contemplated by OM .

Or to put it differently, the clay ziggurat has to be looked at as an important part of school if you wish to do the OM approach and keep things holistic and centered on the child and beauty and whatnot that seem to be why you got OM in the first place--you have to leave the mindset that sees it as an interruption in the "middle of a busy school day."

I agree with that--very valuable.   Though for your purposes amount of learning may need some balancing with fun and enjoyment of doing a particular project.  I am not sure the amount of learning from arts and crafts type projects is equal to the time and effort, except as one chooses to give value to the arts and crafts as an activity in their own right.

If you pick out some things like the clay ziggurat, you could have some dry runs of how to deal with that sort of thing.   How to decide what project to do, and having decided, how to go about doing it and CLEANING UP afterward.  I know my ds would have no trouble making and painting a clay ziggurat on his own, but the problem would likely be the mess that would be left from that.  And that is its own whole learning curve to figure out what the clean up will take and to leave time for it too.  

The other thing I think would be useful as a pre-OM start dry run, would be to go through what each boy does when it says ____ in his OM guide. For example, when it says to go to Math lesson, what do they do exactly, and when it says grammar, what do they do exactly, and when do they work in their Latin (maybe that would go in place of half of  the OM  grammar time, with KISS for the other half--or thirds with OM itself to take part?).  And if they have problems that need you, what should they do--like go get you, or save those up for later and move to something else, or check some other book or ask each other or ...what exactly.   This would help to have them be independent as much as possible while you work.  It would also help to make sure you are not piling OM as an extra on top of an already full regular schedule, but instead are working in the other things within the OM framework.  Unless you do that, I think you will lose what you wanted from OM as making for a more CHILD like learning year.  OM is  a full time school program, and the arts and crafts part are part of that, not supposed to be on top of a full day of more writing oriented work.  So something like a clay ziggurat is probably supposed to get an hour, maybe even more of the day, with the child able to be immersed in the experience, perhaps for its own sake of involvement in the claywork, not because he will necessarily learn more about history from doing it, and not worried that he will then have schoolwork till midnight if he does that, because he will still have an hour of Latin, and hour of other more academic history, etc, etc, not contemplated by OM .

Or to put it differently, the clay ziggurat has to be looked at as an important part of school if you wish to do the OM approach and keep things holistic and centered on the child and beauty and whatnot that seem to be why you got OM in the first place--you have to leave the mindset that sees it as an interruption in the "middle of a busy school day."

Well said.  And this, my friends, is why I never hit "buy" with OM.  I would do exactly what you are describing - I would look at the clay ziggurat as a messy, unwelcome interruption to the middle of the real learning!  :D So that while my dd might be a great OM kid, I might be a really bad OM mom  ;)

(I have no problem with messy projects, BTW, but they happen on the girl's own time, not during "school" time.  I'm working on it.  Dd7 and I just cooked a Vietnamese dinner as part of her around-the-world geography/history/science studies.)

I'll look forward to hearing how this goes, Halcyon!

Well said. And this, my friends, is why I never hit "buy" with OM. I would do exactly what you are describing - I would look at the clay ziggurat as a messy, unwelcome interruption to the middle of the real learning! :D So that while my dd might be a great OM kid, I might be a really bad OM mom ;)

(I have no problem with messy projects, BTW, but they happen on the girl's own time, not during "school" time. I'm working on it. Dd7 and I just cooked a Vietnamese dinner as part of her around-the-world geography/history/science studies.)

You kind of just described me. Non-OM mom with an OM child. But I don't even like messy projects during non-school hours. Sometimes I think, if not this age, then when? Growing up in parochial school, we did have messy art projects, and honestly, those are about the only school days I remember fondly.

I'm beginning to take baby steps. I offered DD somewhat of a deal - to give her a recipe each week and stay out of the kitchen unless she needs help with the stove.

I agree with that--very valuable. Though for your purposes amount of learning may need some balancing with fun and enjoyment of doing a particular project. I am not sure the amount of learning from arts and crafts type projects is equal to the time and effort, except as one chooses to give value to the arts and crafts as an activity in their own right.

If you pick out some things like the clay ziggurat, you could have some dry runs of how to deal with that sort of thing. How to decide what project to do, and having decided, how to go about doing it and CLEANING UP afterward. I know my ds would have no trouble making and painting a clay ziggurat on his own, but the problem would likely be the mess that would be left from that. And that is its own whole learning curve to figure out what the clean up will take and to leave time for it too.

The other thing I think would be useful as a pre-OM start dry run, would be to go through what each boy does when it says ____ in his OM guide. For example, when it says to go to Math lesson, what do they do exactly, and when it says grammar, what do they do exactly, and when do they work in their Latin (maybe that would go in place of half of the OM grammar time, with KISS for the other half--or thirds with OM itself to take part?). And if they have problems that need you, what should they do--like go get you, or save those up for later and move to something else, or check some other book or ask each other or ...what exactly. This would help to have them be independent as much as possible while you work. It would also help to make sure you are not piling OM as an extra on top of an already full regular schedule, but instead are working in the other things within the OM framework. Unless you do that, I think you will lose what you wanted from OM as making for a more CHILD like learning year. OM is a full time school program, and the arts and crafts part are part of that, not supposed to be on top of a full day of more writing oriented work. So something like a clay ziggurat is probably supposed to get an hour, maybe even more of the day, with the child able to be immersed in the experience, perhaps for its own sake of involvement in the claywork, not because he will necessarily learn more about history from doing it, and not worried that he will then have schoolwork till midnight if he does that, because he will still have an hour of Latin, and hour of other more academic history, etc, etc, not contemplated by OM .

Is is an excellent, excellent post. It really is about reorienting ME towards OM and not making OM fit me, isn't it?

This will certainly be an interesting, scary, growing, messy, enlightening year. I hope. ;)

Well said. And this, my friends, is why I never hit "buy" with OM. I would do exactly what you are describing - I would look at the clay ziggurat as a messy, unwelcome interruption to the middle of the real learning! :D So that while my dd might be a great OM kid, I might be a really bad OM mom ;)

(I have no problem with messy projects, BTW, but they happen on the girl's own time, not during "school" time. I'm working on it. Dd7 and I just cooked a Vietnamese dinner as part of her around-the-world geography/history/science studies.)

So can one "do" OM when one isn't an OM mom? Can I change enough, reorient myself enough, give up preconceived notions to such an extent that OM will work? It isn't about me, is it?

Well, it looks like I'm going with grade 3. I showed my DS bugsmama's week in the life of oak meadow post and he got really excited.

I also bought the k-3 process manual, so we can dial down the art if he has problems.

I'm freaking out a tiny bit. Lol

Okay, we need to keep in close touch over the coming months!

Thanks to this thread, I'm pretty sure I will be ordering OM2 & 6 in the very near future. Eclectic hasn't been working for ME because I haven't been disciplined, nor organized enough to plan ahead and keep us on track so we seem to be getting further and further behind. For now, I'm thinking boxed is the way to go and OM is that box.

One of my main reasons for homeschooling is so that the kids can BE kids. I think OM will help me accomplish that. I'm off to play with the budget now. :)

So? Did you buy it?

So can one "do" OM when one isn't an OM mom? Can I change enough, reorient myself enough, give up preconceived notions to such an extent that OM will work? It isn't about me, is it?

Well, luckily you are past the stage where OM is mom-driven and to where it is directed to the children themselves.  So, yes, I think you can.  You'll just need to keep reminding yourself what your goals for the year are and step back a bit into the role of admiring what they do each day...what a lovely clay ziggurat or whatever it is...maybe it will be to appreciate no output at all, but just to listen to what they saw in nature observation time, and enjoy that and the interactions with them as children...  They especially elder will be teens soon enough, so it is a special time.  Enjoy it.  Let the OM guide be the guide, with substitutions of higher level math etc., yes, but trying to keep it substitutions, not additions, and I think you'll do fine.  Both are "ahead" academically anyway, so you can certainly afford to take a year where nature and art are paramount.

So? Did you buy it?

:) Not yet! We're moving August 9, so I will wait until we get to our new address. I DID "discuss" it with DH today -as in "this is what I'm doing and this is how much it will be." :). He doesn't really say much, except "OK", but I still feel better running it by him.

Yes, you can do this Halycon!  I am rooting for you! :hurray:  :grouphug:  :party:

:) Not yet! We're moving August 9, so I will wait until we get to our new address. I DID "discuss" it with DH today -as in "this is what I'm doing and this is how much it will be." :). He doesn't really say much, except "OK", but I still feel better running it by him.

Tha's the same thing my DH says. :)