Menu

I AM SO SICK OF OUR SPAMMER HERE!!!!

I report spammers when I see them, but it would be nice if the system could add an extra layer of screening for all posts by members with single-digit post counts. Everybody was a new forum member once, but unfortunately the spam vs. legitimate post ratio is a lot less favorable for those with very low counts.

There;s a new person that has a bunch of weird smilies after each post she makes, I'm confused as to whether she's real or a spammer. Since she joined today, then made a bunch of posts. I am assuming a spammer (why else would you copy/paste the same weird smiley montage) but what is she spamming? Basically, I don't want to report her in case she's real (and if she is, in the nicest way, could she please lay off the violent smiley montage?) but if she's not "Real" what if nobody reports her? Then she continually spams? I get to see more violent smilies? Oy vey....I need chocolate

There;s a new person that has a bunch of weird smilies after each post she makes, I'm confused as to whether she's real or a spammer. Since she joined today, then made a bunch of posts. I am assuming a spammer (why else would you copy/paste the same weird smiley montage) but what is she spamming? Basically, I don't want to report her in case she's real (and if she is, in the nicest way, could she please lay off the violent smiley montage?) but if she's not "Real" what if nobody reports her? Then she continually spams? I get to see more violent smilies? Oy vey....I need chocolate

I am pretty sure the mentioned person is a spammer. I have seen the same "smiley montage" over and over again under different names the last couple of weeks.

Me too. How do you report spammers by the way. The other day I posted reported then couldn't work out how to follow through. I have been on boards where your initial post is moderated.

Toward the bottom right of each post box, next to "Multiquote," is a "Report" link. Click it, type Spammer in the box, and send.

Thanks. I think the problem is my internet is on the phone and I don't get those options. Will try on a PC when I can.

If you're using a mobile device, scroll down to the bottom, and there is a link to change to the full site version. Then you can report and change it back to the mobile version by a similar link at the bottom. A bit of a pain, but worth it. :tongue_smilie:

Now off to request a report button on the mobile side... :D

Did anyone see the spammer on the Percy Jackson thread? That spam made no sense, but it was all Christian content - bible quotes and so forth. Are there Christian spambots now?

I thought that was more of a troll than a spammer. Though they may have spammed later if they hadn't been kicked out. I actually wasn't even sure whether to report that one or not, but I agreed with it being removed.

I'm curious if replying "reported" to a zombie thread which was reanimated by a spammer is the right thing to do. If we report the spammer, and management deletes the spam post, won't the old thread go back to being old, as long as there aren't subsequent posts to that thread? If the "reported" post is still there, the thread will still be new for a while.

Sometimes I'm not sure what to do either. I mean, a post that replies to a zombie thread, by someone with just a few posts, but that makes sense, could totally be a legitimate newbie who searched something. Sometimes people revive zombie threads on purpose, after all.

wow, I have no idea what you all are talking about! zombie threads?

Why would someone be a spammer? I'm not all that computer savvy, but I'm curious why someone would join a board and post if they didn't actually want to be a part of the group.

Chelsea

wow, I have no idea what you all are talking about! zombie threads?

Why would someone be a spammer? I'm not all that computer savvy, but I'm curious why someone would join a board and post if they didn't actually want to be a part of the group.

Chelsea

They want to drive links to their own site. It has noting to do with any interest in classical education or home education.

Bill

ok..here is a dumb question....what is the difference betweena spammer and a troll...I guess i alwyas thought they were pretty similar...

Spammer is trying to get you to follow links and such. These are often bots (software robots), though they can be live people.

Troll is a live person trying to stir people up. Like they might purposely start a thread on making cupcakes in a crockpot with shoes on in the house, knowing it will start a huge debate. :)

When I first saw the flag emoticon I thought it looked vaguely familiar. So I looked it up. Doh!

I really want it. I have friends for whom it would bring a great amount of smiles and laughs.

Anyone know how to capture the gif without me getting infected with spambot?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, and if you read carefully, the posts are all text from other posts made earlier by other folks.

There is another person on the forum doing this now. Is that reportable? At best I imagine they are trying to boost their post count without actually taking the time to engage with the hive.

There is another person on the forum doing this now. Is that reportable? At best I imagine they are trying to boost their post count without actually taking the time to engage with the hive.

I've reported it before.

Go for it.

I usually look at their previous posts from their profile. If every post is just text from someone else, I absolutely report it. If it's obvious that it was just someone accidentally quoting without adding their own text, then I won't report it.

I reported such a "person" (or bot) yesterday, and I think the posts got deleted.

I usually look at their previous posts from their profile. If every post is just text from someone else, I absolutely report it. If it's obvious that it was just someone accidentally quoting without adding their own text, then I won't report it.

I reported such a "person" (or bot) yesterday, and I think the posts got deleted.

Good to know. Yeah, I read five of their eight total posts and they were all copy & pasted from up thread.