Menu

Photo Storage (digital)

DawnM

I have been thinking that I need an online source to store my photos (about 5,000 pictures). I think about things like a house fire and losing all my pics that are in boxes and on my computer.

I have started scanning old photos to get them on a computer, but really want a reasonably priced place to keep my photos.

What do you use and how much is it?

I'm not familiar with online storage options, but I'm sure others will chime in.

My photographer friend has a second harddrive where he stores his photos. I think he has another that he keeps at his mom's. He has 10,000+ travel photos.

As for myself, I upload my photos to a folder designated for the current year. Once a year, I burn them to DVD and put them in a safe deposit box at my bank ($30/year). I often make additional DVDs for family.

I use the free version of dropbox. My husband is always turning our computer shop customers onto it, and when they sign up for an account and use mine as a referral, my space increases. I think you start with 500 MB free. I love it, it's so user friendly! He even set my phone up so that any pics that get taken with my phone go straight to my dropbox account so they're already right there on my computer for me. We use it for all kinds of document storage and sharing.

On the advice of others here, I put all of my photos on Smugmug and am very happy with the service. For $60/year, I can store an unlimited number of photos and videos. Photos are stored at full resolution; videos can be up to 20 minutes long. It was easy to set my privacy options, and it's easy to share my photos with family.

I also keep a backup copy on an external drive in a safe deposit box.

I just signed up with smugmug, also heard about it here. I've got the $40 a year version, no video but unlimited photo at full resolution. It works nice too in putting my photos up and giving the link to others so they can download or order prints- like I took photos of dd's prom and I was able to link to it for her friends instead of having to send them all emails of the photos. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Uploading was easy and straightforward, too.

On the advice of others here, I put all of my photos on Smugmug and am very happy with the service. For $60/year, I can store an unlimited number of photos and videos. Photos are stored at full resolution; videos can be up to 20 minutes long. It was easy to set my privacy options, and it's easy to share my photos with family.

I also keep a backup copy on an external drive in a safe deposit box.

How often do you update that backup copy in the safe deposit box? I've thought about this, or keeping a backup at a friend's house, but I think I'd never get around to updating it...

I do backup to an external hard drive, but that won't help in a fire or theft, etc. I'm thinking smugmug might be my best bet.

I have automatic backup with backblaze which I love. I had carbonite but realized that when you remove something from your computer after so long, carbonite deletes it as well. I have lots of photos and Lo eto play with Photoshop. I remove the original files when they are placed on an external harddrive and keep all the "doctored" ones. There are too many to keep both on the computer. When my computer crashed, carbonite had deleted all originals because it had been over that time limit. Thankfully I had ehd. Backblaze doesn't delete until you tell it to. I love that it automatically backs up too. Besides this, I also have a www.smugmug.com acct. Can't remember the cost but very reasonable. I have unlimited storage as a nonbusiness which is cheaper. One benefit to smugmug is ease of ordering. Their prints are reasonably prices and the quality is outstanding. I no longer print my own. Hth.

How often do you update that backup copy in the safe deposit box? I've thought about this, or keeping a backup at a friend's house, but I think I'd never get around to updating it...

I do backup to an external hard drive, but that won't help in a fire or theft, etc. I'm thinking smugmug might be my best bet.

My goal is to retrieve that external drive and backup to it monthly. I don't always get it done that often. But the external in the safe deposit box is mostly my primary backup of my older photos that I have not yet gotten uploaded to Smugmug. For new photos, I try to upload them to Smugmug at the same time I put them on my computer, so that I always have one set of backups that are off site (either Smugmug or external drive) - although my ultimate goal is to get both backups complete so that I have 2 backups off site.