Menu

Please recommend a historical romance that is set in 1st century Rome. Audience: middle school girls

We would prefer Christian content. The only thing I have come up with so far is Tamar by Gladys Malvern, but the book is not available at our library, and it's $15 on Amazon, which is a bit pricey for me. Thanks!

ETA: Reading level should be 4th-6th, or maybe the upper end of that range. Interest level would be a bit higher.

That's a tough one. I like the Colleen McCullough set, but they're pretty hefty, and I read them as an adult. I'm not sure how appealing or suitable they are for middle school girls.

There's this list, which seems rather horrific for middle school girls, but maybe there's a gem I'm overlooking?

There's this, which is I think what they based the movie on.

There are a set of murder mysteries set in the Roman legions in Britain, but I don't think that's what you're looking for. :)

I'm very curious to see what others come up with.

It's not entirely a historical romance, but I'd suggest the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers. It's by a Christian author, set in 1st century Rome. I don't remember anything that would be objectionable for a middle-schooler.

The books are:

A Voice in the Wind

An Echo in the Darkness

As Sure as the Dawn

Lana

It's not entirely a historical romance, but I'd suggest the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers. It's by a Christian author, set in 1st century Rome. I don't remember anything that would be objectionable for a middle-schooler.

The books are:

A Voice in the Wind

An Echo in the Darkness

As Sure as the Dawn

Lana

I absolutely LOVE this series (I'm just finishing it myself), but it would not be suitable for the girls I teach. They would be extremely intimidated just by the page count of these books, not to mention the content. I'm really hoping to find a book of about 100-150 pages, and I'm thinking that possibly a 4th-6th grade reading level would be best.

What about The Secret Sign by Malvern? Maybe The Green Bronze Mirror by Ellison? It looks like there are some novels by Jack Mitchell, but they're set in Caesar's time, which is a bit before the first century. Wow, tall order there! I hope you find something that works for you.

The Secret Sign by Malvern and The Green Bronze Mirror by Ellison both sound perfect! Except that they're not available at my library and the copies I've found online are too pricey for my budget. :(

• 2 weeks later...