Menu

Need birthday prank ideas for my mom's 50th

Let me start by saying that my dad turned 50 2 years ago. We had a blast with his birthday but we outdid ourselves..now I can't think of what to do for my mom.

For my dad, I had people from all over the world (bosses, friends, coworkers, people from the internet, family, etc) mail him plastic forks and pieces of rope with no explanation. The rope is because it is a HUGE pet peeve for him to see somebody cut a piece of rope..so he got these little pieces of rope. He always has said "What happens when you cut a rope enough times? You ain't got nothing left!" The forks were just for fun.

He got hundreds of packages over the period of 2 months.

On the night of his birthday, I got friends to come over and help, and we 'forked' his yard. He had 1700 plastic forks sticking out of his lawn and pieces of scattered rope everywhere. The signs in his yard said "Just like cut rope, you ain't got nothing left, friends and family say, stick a fork in you you're done"

It was great! We had a blast. You should have seen the people driving by my mom and dad's house that weekend. Some would come several times and bring back more people.

My dad had a blast with it. Now my mom is turning 50 and I need something for her. I can think of NOTHING. Problem is, she is going to be in Singapore until a few days before her birthday.

Things she collects are postcards and bungee cords (yes..strange).

My Aunt said to have people mail her postcards to singapore and she'll think she is in the clear for when she gets home. Then bungee cord the interior of the house so she can't even walk around on her birthday.

I don't know...do you guys have any ideas? Anything YOU have done in the past?

I have heard of people cellophaning peoples houses and foiling too.

The unsuspecting party is taken to dinner, and when they return little elves have wrapped every thing in the house individually. You need commercial sized rolls for this one! Pictures on the walls, couches, pillows, coffee pot....every thing wrapped separately!

I have also heard of people taking someone to dinner and the having a person hiding outside. The person outside gives a flower to all the customers walking in the door and ask them to give it to the birthday girl (marked obviously by the birthday balloon or other table decoration). If it is a friendly restaurant and a busy one, they could end up getting 50 flowers and well wishes!

Good luck finding something clever!

Yep..she is turning 50 in 3 months.

I'm 30 :( LOL

:glare: I'm older than your mom! I'll be 50 in 2 months.

For my dh's 40th I had people either email or mail me funny memories or sentimental thoughts - sometimes both. He laughed, he cried. We also dressed up like stereotypical old people - support hose, etc. and read something funny from Dave Berry.

I have also heard of people taking someone to dinner and the having a person hiding outside. The person outside gives a flower to all the customers walking in the door and ask them to give it to the birthday girl (marked obviously by the birthday balloon or other table decoration). If it is a friendly restaurant and a busy one, they could end up getting 50 flowers and well wishes!

I really like this idea. I actually wish I could do my Dad's 50th birthday over again. I would put less energy into joking about how old he was and more into honoring him for all he has done for us in those 50 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my mom actually just turned 51 just 2 days ago. So last year my sister and I just bought "over the hill" signs for her house. Big black ballons with 50's on them that say "over the hill." Also she had a necklas of the same thing that she was to wear out to dinner. :) We didn't do a whole lot, but I know she liked what we did do. We picked all that up (well my sis did) at the local party store.

I'm 30 also, will be 31 in a 2 weeks or so.:001_huh: I don't think 30 or 31 now, is too bad. That is still young. Just not younger, huh. ha ha Have a great day.

If you can get away with it have everyone pretend they forgot her birthday or not remember it's the big one. My uncle turned 50 and his long time girlfriend had all friends and family act as if they forgot all about his birthday, poor guy. She planned a huge bash for him and with all the secret meetings for organization had him thinking she had another man.:001_huh: He was kind of upset that no one really said anything about him turning 50 so he planned his own party:lol: lobster, steamers etc. He was so suprised the only thing he could say was "you got me good" and him being a big ol softy was in tears that so many people 150 total showed up for his birthday party.

Sounds interesting with the grim reaper and all the black. I wasn't able to actually do alot for my 30th last year. I moved down to the Gulfcoast a litlle over 3 years ago. All my family is back in Missouri still. But my mom was able to come down to visit. And of course, I got the royal treatment of the "Look who's 30" sign in my front yard with ballons. So with my moms 50th birthday being only 2 weeks before my 30th, I knew my sis and I needed to do something, I was sure she would repay the favor. And she did. She flew 1,800 miles or so just to decorate my yard they way hers was. Ha ha It was fun. I am real glad she came. I only get to see her twice a year now, if that. And we use to see each other a few times a week and talked on the phone daily. (we still talk on the phone often) So I enjoy her visits. :)

I'll be 50 this year and I think I'd prefer to not be reminded about how stinking old I'm getting;). It would make me feel so much better if my children told me 50 things I did right or 50 things they love about me or at least 5:D. It gets kinda scary up here in the "antique" years. Then again, if my kids made a joke out of it, I'd join in the laughter. Life's too short. Maybe a little of each would be just about right.

One thing I did for my mom, who passed away in 1995 at age 63, was sent her a birthday card with all of her children's signatures on it. That wasn't as easy as it sounds because my sister and brother both live in different states. I initiated the card, mailed it to my sister, who then mailed it to my brother who then mailed it to my mom. She got a kick out of that.

Well, SOMEONE sent flyers all over my dad's building at (insert large defense company name here), asking that everyone call him to wish him a happy 50th.

He was turning 49.

For my mom's 50th, her dh threw a giant surprise party in a room at their fave Chinese restaurant. He even flew me in from out of state to complete the surprise. After the dinner, we trekked over to a melodrama play. It was memorable.

I once heard a speaker tell the story of her "over the hill" surprise from family and friends.

They rented a hearse!!! Seriously.

They had a day of lunch, the theater, and several other stops planned. There were balloons and all sorts of over-the-hill paraphenalia included.

I thought it was hilarious.

Jo