Menu

Best spelling "list" curriculum

Mom2pandc

I've been searching and looking at various spelling curriculums for my 2nd grader and 4th grader. My oldest has great spelling skills and is probably more on a 5/6 grade level in spelling.

Both have done logic of English and are familiar with the spelling rules. Now I'm looking for a curriculum or resource that is lists of words. I would prefer the words be grouped together In a sensible order. Increasing in difficulty and by a rule or phonogram similarity.

I know workbooks or sheets to repeatedly write the word won't work with either child.

I'm leaning towards spelling power, but have read mixed reviews on it.

Is there anything similar or better in your opinions that I should look at?

Thanks for your help!

We are huge fans of Sequential Spelling. My older kids (6th and 5th grade) use it. I only buy the Teacher's Guide (nothing else). Every day, I read from the list of words and they write the words on a dry erase board in cursive. Even if they already know how to spell something, they are able to practice their cursive writing (handwriting is NOT one of our homeschool's strengths). So, for us, it's spelling and cursive...and it only takes 5-10 minutes...and it doesn't go into a gajillion spelling rules/repetition (my kids do very poorly with repetition). My kids were able to start this in 4th grade (I see you have a 4th grader). For 2nd and 3rd grade, we use All About Spelling (but that's entirely different).

I tried Spelling Power in the past, but I grew weary of giving spelling "tests" several times a week. I felt like Spelling Workout was just busy work with very little retention. We are going with Spelling Plus in the fall - I really like the look of it! I just need to cover the rule with them on Monday and then they can practice their words through the week in a variety of ways (i.e. write them in cursive one day, alphabetize them on the next day, use them in a sentence on the next day).