Menu

TT math..Prealgebra vs. math7?

Sixmeadows

this is a tough question. I did math 7 this past year too. Dd struggled with it about 3/4 way through. She did not do as well on the Algebra 1 placement test as she should have to take that class. But, she did REALLY well on the pre-algebra. I spent much time and thought on this one and even called and spoke with the creators of the program. In the end, we chose to do Pre-algebra this year to give her the time to cement the concepts before moving into algebra. I'm hoping it will build her confidence and help her - if not enjoy math - to at least not dislike it.

Now, my neighbor (who just moved so I cant followup with it) chose to go directly into Algebra 1. Her reasons were more financial. She felt she could do the algebra adequately enough and if they needed to slow down and take more than a year, that was fine too. Their budget is tight so she wanted to streamline in the math area. I can respect that, our budget was tighter this year then last too.

So, I guess it depends on your dc. How was the placement test? Is your dc easily frustrated? Like to be challenged or wants to take the material at a slower pace? HTH!!

I wonder if one is more review of previous years and one is more new material. I do want to make sure he has a a strong foundation. We did the 7th grade placemant and he got 1 wrong and a careless mistake that he would normally be able to do. I will have him take the pre-algebra tomorrow.

Cheri

and my daughter easily placed into pre-algebra. I looked at pre-algebra vs. 7th with TT and thought the 7th looked like a lot of review for her.

Now, DD LOVES math- it is hands down her favorite subject and she does well in it. She actually started Pre-algebra and aced the test on both of the first chapters, so I let her skip them since they were basic and start on the fraction chapter.

If your child loves math, did well last year and you feel does not need a great deal of review, as well as doing well on the site's placement test- then I say move on to pre-algebra. Each child is different, so hoping you can glean something from our experience.

HTH,

Laurie

My dd is finishing up TT6 this summer (I pulled her out of fifth grade in jan. and decided to just start 6th grade.) I looked at both TT7 and pre-algebra...and choose the pre-algebra. I have it now, and it looks doable for dd (she will be 12 going on 13 this year. I am now calling her a 7th grader.)

Last year I had my son who was in 4th started Prealgebra b/c that is what he tested into based on their placement tests. He did fine. I would use their placement tests and then make your judgement based on the resutls and your own feeling about your childs mathematical abilities, you know her best.

I know we had to supplement with a Keys to ... (available through Rainbow or our local hs store carries them) in order to stregthen one area of weakness. I put him in Prealgebra in order to make sure he was not having a year of straight review. I didn't want him to get the feeling that math is not fun because there was no challenge to it for a year.

I had this same problem. I had my son take the PreAlg test first, after looking at it, I thought he would have no problem. Well, he freaked out that it was a "PreAlgebra" test, and did miserably, said he couldn't even answer half the questions. :(. So then I had him take the 7th test and put white-out over the "7th" label, so he had no idea it was a 7th grade test. He aced it. I thought that the placement tests for the two very very similiar. So I am thinking that it wasn't that he couldn't do the PreAlgebra test, but more he "THOUGHT" he couldn't do it.

So then I saw TT at our local homeschool convention. I placed 7 and Prealg side by side with the table of contents open. Most of the chapters were the exact same, but the order was ever-so-slightly different. And then the last 2-3 chapters were different. So at that I point, I was thinking go right into PreAlg

Then I got home and did a online chat with TT customer service. I asked what the difference was. She did say that Math 7 covers a little more geometry whereas PreAlg dives more into Algebra (must be these last few chapters).

So now I am pretty sure we will do Math 7. Here are my reasons, although there will probably be heavy review/repeat in PreAlg the following year, I am thinking the actual problems will be slightly more advanced. Two, I am going with this curriculum so that I do not have to be involved with Math as much (as it is my weak subject, especially as we get into th ehigher levels, plus this is my first year with HSing my K son), so I want to make sure that he is comfortable, not pressured/stressed, with Math. So I fear that with PreAlg, it might be too much at certain times for him, thereby requiring me to jump in more than I am hoping to. Third, I think that if he thinks certain parts are "too easy" then that will be a confidence booster for him, since I do feel as we get into these higher grade levels (doing 5th this year), there will be certain subjects that he is going to struggle, ie composition, so to have others that are deemed easy, will create a balance for him. Fourth, he is already going to be 2 grade levels ahead in math, as it just comes naturally to him, so I do not feel any pressure to skip him ahead THAT much just because he might be able to do the work.

So it will be Math 7 for us. In the end, when he moves to PreAlg, it might be too much review, thereby a waste of money, but the resale value of TT is so good, it won't be that much $$ wasted for the benefits of going with Math 7.

hth

K

My son also placed into the Pre-Algebra -- he only missed one question on the placement test. I chose Math 7 after looking through the TOC of both programs. The Pre-Algebra IS a lot of review, but it also introduces Algebra and negative numbers in the last chapters -- which are harder to grasp. My DD completed the Pre-Algebra in 7th and I'm glad we chose to have her do this instead of starting Algebra with less of a foundation.

If we did math 7 this year would we skip pre-algebra ?

No. Pre-Algebra is exactly that. You will learn algebra skills which will be built upon in Alg 1.

My dc go through Math 7 and then into CD PreAlg.

This is JMHO. :)

Let us know what you decide.

And not to complicate matters, but CD PreAlg is awesome!