Menu

Zyrtec withdrawal?

Joker

Oldest dd has been on daily Zyrtec (we actually usually a generic) for about two years now. She was diagnosed with heat urticaria. She basically would get hives whenever she was hot or emotional (in the shower, while exercising, crying). Since it's summer she has missed the last few days and she is so bad right now. She has symptoms now that she never had before she was diagnosed. The worst is that her eyes are burning and swollen (which has never happened). She's missed a day or two in the past and the hives would come back, so she would quickly take a pill and was fine. It was never like this. Yes, it's summer but it's been cooler than normal due to rain and I don't think it's just the heat. I looked online for the first time regarding withdrawal and am a bit stunned by how much is out there.

Have any of you been on daily Zyrtec for a lengthy period of time? Has anyone had withdrawal symptoms?

Huh. My dad took it for over 2 years, also for chronic hives, and went off without issues. My son has had to go off (for allergy testing) a fair number of times. He's been using daily for over 6 years. I didn't notice anything with him, outside of return of allergy symptoms. But that doesn't mean anything in terms of your daughter. I guess we were/are fortunate. My luck his twin, on it for possible allergic asthma, will be a withdrawal kid!

That sounds miserable. I wonder if she could step down to benadryl or similar to wean off?

You reminded me that dd had to go off for more than a week for allergy testing. It was just over a year ago. Her regular hives came back quickly and she was super itchy but she had nothing like right now. Now I don't know what to think.