Menu

PROMPT-is 4 too old to start using it?

gg142

Hello

reading another post and looking more into this and knowing that we hopefully will get back to the States at some point soon prompted me the question (excuse the pun).

My child is verbal, non autistic, possibly dyspraxic, with low muscle tone. Her speech is at a 30 months level, watching some of the PROMPT videos on 2 yr old made me cringe and I think she would have benefited.

She is now able to linked 3-4 words together, but really struggles with expressive speech. Looking at the videos I can tell she has never been corrected in the phonemes formation and this might slow her down.

Those of you that use/used PROMPT< do you think there is value in trying it for a child her age? in the UK I found only 2 bridging therapists about 1-2 hr from where we live, I might try to contact the closest.

thank you for your input

Sorry I missed your post! Absolutely you should pursue it!!!!! If you can get a Bridging level therapist, that's FABULOUS!!!!!! GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, my caps lock got engaged there, hehe. :D

No she's not too old. Our therapist has helped non-verbal teens even. It just takes a lot longer when they're older. She's not old yet though, at 4. And that's not a bad drive at all, 1-2 hours. Bridging means they're in the process of getting certified and having completed the Bridging level workshop. Should be good therapists. Call 'em up and get it going, then let us know how it goes! :)

thank you for this...well I did try...noone of them replies, the one that replied moved out of the UK.

I guess I am going to try this as soon as we are in the US...which hopefully it is not longer than another 6 months.

Do you know where you're going to be in the US? Go ahead and email and starting finding the therapists. That way you can get on their wait list for appointments. Honestly, it might even help you decide where to move, if you have some flex there. People move from other states to be near our therapist and work. It's not so crazy. Some parts of the country have a lot of PROMPT therapists and some have very few. I drive 2.5 hours each way, which gets really fatiguing. Been doing that for almost 3 years now...

Sorry it couldn't work out for you in the UK. At least you are moving though and have a hope of more options. Work on social play and what you can and hopefully your options improve when you move.

yes, if my husband gets the job we are moving to the NW Philly area, along the outer part of the Main Line...good idea..I started booking spaces in therapeutic preschools and was moving along with therapist, the PROMPT is a new thought so I did not act upon it quite yet because we do not know yet where we will actually living. If anyone is from Philly here...please shout out! I need a buddy to figure things out